DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I have to retract a previous statement of mine.

A few months ago I unfavorably compared Rick Remender to Grant Morrison and Jonathan Hickman, but upon further reading into his Uncanny X-Force run, I have to say he's actually pretty damn good.

I'm still not sure, if I prefer his run over Kyle & Yost's, though.

Well, I never really disliked Remender. I read his Frankencastle and the first trade of Fear Agent and liked both. I just thought the hype over his Uncanny X-Force was exaggerated after the first few issues I read, especially after Craig Kyle and Chris Yost just did such amazing work on X-Force right before.

Jonathan Hickman I just don't get.

The only one I really hate passionately is Morrison.

Only thing I've really read by Hickman is his Fantastic Four/Future Foundation stuff, but it was really damn good.

Of course, I also described it as Morrisonesque, so ymmv.

And I kinda/sorta consider Grant Morrison a God on Earth....

I read the 5 issues out so far of Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy, and I really like them. I should say though, that these are so far the only Guardians books I've ever read, I do not know anything about these characters (besides Iron Man, of course) previously. I typically prefer street-level books like Daredevil to cosmic stuff. So if what he wrote is out of character for them, I wouldn't know it. But it's been a fun read. I'm gonna go back and read Guardians Vol. 2 soon, so maybe my opinion will change.

I remember how Marvel chose the name for Operation: Galactic Storm. A memo was handed through the whole office and everyone in the office was asked to vote from a list of names for the event and drop a vote i nthe ballot box by the Bullpen Office. I voted for "Between 2 Evils: The Kree/Shi'ar War". Always thought the name that won was too corny

As for the series itself... it was meh to my recollection. It was like a stop gap between the Summer of X (X-Force #1 and X-Men#1) and the Midnight Sons launch.

James

I thought the cleverest thing during Galactic torm was how they worked Rick Jones into the whole thing. Relying on Mar-Vell's Negabands was the eprfect maguffin. I think the thing that irked me the most during Galactic Storm was the lack of Bel-Dann

James

I liked Evolutionary War.  I remember tracking down each of the annuals for the story.  A lot of characters died, were depowered, etc... that affected continuity.  Plus it brought us the X-babies ( Art Adams on pencils is a thing of beauty)

I liked Evolutionary War too, at the time. Not sure how I would feel about it now but I liked the rag-tag group that had to come together at the end to finish off the High Evolutionary: The Captain (Steve Rogers when John Walker was Cap), The Falcon, Beast, Hercules, Hulk, Jocasta, and Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara version). It seemed so random so much more awesome but it showed how desperate and near-defeated the Marvel heroes were.