DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Comics are slowly moving towards a "seasons" model where every book is going to start over after every creative team change or every year or something to that effect.

Because new #1's sell better, and will hopefully hook some new readers or something.

Although why they are renumbering DD now, with the same team, is, I guess, just to hopefully get more eyes on a critically acclaimed book.  Or something.

Well, Captain Marvel will have the same writer. Peter David is doing All-New X-Factor. Waid said they turned down renumbering earlier because they were mid-storyline. It also puts a spotlight on Daredevil in time for the 50th anniversary of his debut. It may help disguise the cover price being bumped up.

I don't know what's going on with Daredevil, but I wonder if they are planning to have a different superhero patrolling Daredevil's normal turf. Probably not the Warren Ellis relaunch of Moon Knight that has Marc Spector back in New York.

I was seriously expecting DD to move back to San Francisco after Shadowland, rather than return to NYC.

And PAD relaunching X-Factor as a new book is actually a much better idea than continuing the old numbering, IMO.  The old version had been running over 100 issues, and the story of that version of X-Fac was done.  Better to launch the entirely new concept and roster as a new title than to sell X-Factor #263 as an AWESOME JUMPING ON POINT.  As much as I miss the old model of a single numbering scheme lasting for 30+ years, it isn't financially feasible anymore.  With the cancellation of Hellblazer, we've reached a point where no major title has 150 issues.  Rather than try to undo the 20-year tide of relaunches and renumberings, it's probably a better idea to just embrace the madness and use it.

• Like 1

Well, Captain Marvel will have the same writer. Peter David is doing All-New X-Factor. Waid said they turned down renumbering earlier because they were mid-storyline. It also puts a spotlight on Daredevil in time for the 50th anniversary of his debut. It may help disguise the cover price being bumped up.

I don't know what's going on with Daredevil, but I wonder if they are planning to have a different superhero patrolling Daredevil's normal turf. Probably not the Warren Ellis relaunch of Moon Knight that has Marc Spector back in New York.

They already did that with Danny Rand in the Daredevil costume when Murdock was in pridon and Black Panther after Shadowland.

They already did that with Danny Rand in the Daredevil costume when Murdock was in pridon and Black Panther after Shadowland.

Well, having done it before has never been an impediment to a comic book doing it again.

Another thing I'm skeptical about is the fact that The Avengers roster seems really over inflated right now and The Builders at one point basically decimated an entire fleet of interplanetary vessels and some how some way without even trying they only killed nameless aliens. They didn't have to kill Captain America or Thor, but how is it possible that not a single Avenger died. It really made the whole Builders story feel like a big waste of time that amounted to nothing.

You do realize this is quite literally the most powerful Avengers team ever right? Pretty much every team split off during the war had a massive powerhouse in it sans the recent infiltration team. Also you have to be the only person clamoring for a death here. One of the big problems people have had with big events is pointless deaths. An Avenger dying wouldn't have much more weight to the story.

I feel you about people having issues with the frivoulous deaths that happen in comic events, but the builders literally destroyed a couple of planets and an intergalactic armada of vessels...except the Avengers didn't suffer a single loss. That was the part of the story where we were supposed to believe that The Builders were an unstoppable force that could not be stopped. The problem for me arises when I realized that of all the seemingly billions of people who were killed none of them had a name. I don't think this story can be told effectively if we don't think that the threat will actually have an affect on characters we actually know. Maybe if they spent more time showing what happened when Captain Marvel and Hawkeye were being held captive by The Builders it would have worked better. It was basically a perfect example of telling not showing. They told us that The Builders were a bigger threat than they had ever faced, but when it actually came down to the battle it didn't really materialize into anything that seemed worthy of the hype.

Not to dwell on this, but I'm trying to pass the time on a short work day.

Another thing I'm skeptical about is the fact that The Avengers roster seems really over inflated right now and The Builders at one point basically decimated an entire fleet of interplanetary vessels and some how some way without even trying they only killed nameless aliens. They didn't have to kill Captain America or Thor, but how is it possible that not a single Avenger died. It really made the whole Builders story feel like a big waste of time that amounted to nothing.

You do realize this is quite literally the most powerful Avengers team ever right? Pretty much every team split off during the war had a massive powerhouse in it sans the recent infiltration team. Also you have to be the only person clamoring for a death here. One of the big problems people have had with big events is pointless deaths. An Avenger dying wouldn't have much more weight to the story.

I feel you about people having issues with the frivoulous deaths that happen in comic events, but the builders literally destroyed a couple of planets and an intergalactic armada of vessels...except the Avengers didn't suffer a single loss. That was the part of the story where we were supposed to believe that The Builders were an unstoppable force that could not be stopped. The problem for me arises when I realized that of all the seemingly billions of people who were killed none of them had a name. I don't think this story can be told effectively if we don't think that the threat will actually have an affect on characters we actually know. Maybe if they spent more time showing what happened when Captain Marvel and Hawkeye were being held captive by The Builders it would have worked better. It was basically a perfect example of telling not showing. They told us that The Builders were a bigger threat than they had ever faced, but when it actually came down to the battle it didn't really materialize into anything that seemed worthy of the hype.

Not to dwell on this, but I'm trying to pass the time on a short work day.

You see what happens with Captain Marvel and Hawkeye in Captain Marvel #15-16.  Doing it in a tie-in may annoy some people.

I've liked Infinity well enough, but not loved it.  I definitely wouldn't put it up there with DnA's best work, or some of the better Marvel events of the past few years.  Definitely not on par with AvX for me.

A lot of it is the way Hickman sets up and tells stories.  I definitely agree with the "showing not telling" story comment above.

Read Uncanny Avengers #14. Issue was solid, but sort of lacked the appropriate impact for me as the big deaths in the issue have already been shown to not stick with the appearances the supposedly deceased characters have made in other books that take place after this story.

Finished up Infinity with Infinity #6 and New Avengers #12. I was overall pleased with the conclusion in Infinity #6. It was good big action issue that also ended with some set ups for future stories be they in Avengers or elsewhere in the Marvel Universe. NA #12 was a nice epilogue with the team continuing their gradual loss of self and a hint at whats to come. More and more I'm convinced that Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run may very well be the end of 616 with the various building/hints of whats to come over the next year or two.

This biggie happened a year ago this month (spoilered for size):

amaz-spider-man-698-reveal.jpg

I was surprised by it like others but as a fan of Dan Slott's solo run on The Amazing Spider-Man, I'd wait and see. This move caused controversy. Not long ago I read the story it happened in, The Amazing Spider-Man: Dying Wish and it was a great story. I've also read the books following it written by Dan Slott, The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 1): My Own Worst Enemy which I really liked and I also liked The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2): A Troubled Mind. I'm hoping to read The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3): No Escape which my local library has on order ASAP.

RE: Avengers Arena, the official dead would be:

Red Raven, Mettle, Nara, Apex(and her brother, supposedly), Kid Briton, Juston and Reptil(or was he unconscious?)?

I'm assuming the last one made a valiant sacrifice and is legitimately dead, for now at least.

I found Hopeless's final letter to the readers really interesting, basically admitting that he initially hated the concept as much as the readers and had to be talked at length into doing it.

Yeah, he's told that part of the story before.  What was new was his talking about how utterly he hated having his bigger concept cut down to "a Battle Royale rip-off" and how he was ready to just walk away when Brevoort/Alonso suggested he do 18 issues of the death match instead of the broader concept.