DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Did someone post this before?

NsdmpAq.jpg

I'd forgotten how many terrible uniforms Wolverine has had.  I think I like about 4 costumes out of all of those (gray, brown, the Cassaday version of the yellow costume and maybe the first X-Men: Evolution uniform).  Looking at them side by side, I think Cassaday's tweak of the yellow uni is my favorite, just nosing out the brown.  The grey/black look was cool for X-Force, but I'd never have wanted to see him wear that full-time in the X-books or Avengers.

Really hate the masked, movie-inspired looks.  Frank Quitely's bare chested leather jacket look may be my least favorite look for him, a mean feat when your competition is the noseless bandana look.

Bone claws?  What were they thinking?

Brown/Tan but I do see the importance of having the Blue/Maize (he is modeled after the Michigan Wolverines)

Someone should be a dick and give him a scarlet and grey costume.

And then promptly but slowly die in an agonizing fire.

EDIT: Also, the Astonishing one that streamlined the classic yellow is my favorite.

Best I can do with no skill of any kind.

sl03gm.jpg

Avenging Spider-Man #17 is written by Christopher Yost. As I think we all know by now it’s Doc Ock in Peter Parker’s body and he believes himself to be the Superior Spider-Man. SpOck finds himself babysitting the Future Foundation kids only for the Time Variance Authority to arrive citing a future crime against the time-stream which needs to be eliminated. This was a very good issue and I chuckled again at some of Spider-Ock’s lines.

I will be happy to se the end of Infinity this week. Looking forward (in a different way) to the end of Arena and the forthcoming Undercover.

At this point, my desperate need to be reading something with Hank in it is pretty much all that keeps me on AI. It's not unreadable, just bland. I think the Monica/Hank scene from last month, where he talks about game design theory (as opposed to game theory) and his self-analysis and therapy, is the only time the book has truly glowed for me.

OK so in Infinity you have The Builders who are essentially the gods that created the entire universe and Thanos who is about as big of a threat as there is in the Marvel Universe, and as of right now not a single character with a name has been killed.  Seriously, The Builders were killing entire planets, and they couldn't kill a single Avenger?  This story has been damn near 20 issues of pissing into the wind.  The Thanos story could have probably been told in a 6 issue Inhuman story that crossed over with the Avengers story for an issue or two.  The Builders story could have been told in three or four issues in the regular Avengers run.  There is no reason that they needed to combine two seemingly unrelated storylines in an event that basically is 18 issues of meandering resulting in the setting off of the terrigen bomb.

The story with the Builders was essentially an Avengers story Hickman was already planning to tell that got folded in with a Thanos story because Marvel wanted a big story involving Thanos with Guardians of the galaxy coming up. And the two stories actually work quite well together seeing that the general idea was that Thanos never would have attacked had the Avengers not been off planet and mutants weren't divided.  No Avenger deaths are coming until the next arc after Infinity. Most of the battles against the Builders were also fought by the planets in the Galactic Council so of course there were no deaths in the Avengers. And they haven't been meandering. The story has actually been relatively condensed so far.

I haven't dived into any Infinity stuff yet. I was kinda waiting until it's over. Plus, cosmic stuff isn't usually my thing. So am I to understand the general concensus here is "Not good"?

Not sure, but I like it a good deal. Its far from perfect, but I have found it entertaining and have dug the atmosphere, height, and general concept of the stories involved. In other places I have seen a generally positive response. I would put it in the solidly good category though if you're not into cosmic stories I'm not sure you will like it as I also rank it below the stuff Giffen and DnA did.

I haven't dived into any Infinity stuff yet. I was kinda waiting until it's over. Plus, cosmic stuff isn't usually my thing. So am I to understand the general concensus here is "Not good"?

Most people like it a lot, but if you haven't read Hickman's previous Avengers and New Avengers stuff, it might be a little bewildering.

Most people like it a lot, but if you haven't read Hickman's previous Avengers and New Avengers stuff, it might be a little bewildering.

I won't go as far as saying I don't like it, but it doesn't really seem like an event to me.  It really seems like the same stories could have been told in the regular runs of the series than something that needed to be dragged out over so many issues.  The Builders were basically being built up since the first Avengers issue of the relaunch as basically unstoppable gods, and Thanos is one of the most powerful villains in the entire Marvel universe, but with one issue left I find myself underwhelmed.  I thought it started off really good, but eventually lost focus and just started meandering into nothing.  I really think if the entire builder plot was done in the issues leading up to this and the event was completely focused on what Thanos and The Cull Obsidian(who come off as bad asses) are doing I'd like it more.  They really kind of neuter both threats by trying to shoehorn them in together. 

Another thing I'm skeptical about is the fact that The Avengers roster seems really over inflated right now and The Builders at one point basically decimated an entire fleet of interplanetary vessels and some how some way without even trying they only killed nameless aliens. They didn't have to kill Captain America or Thor, but how is it possible that not a single Avenger died. It really made the whole Builders story feel like a big waste of time that amounted to nothing.

I think Infinity would appeal to people who liked Hickman's work on Secret Warriors. There is a certain emotional coldness that probably makes it less attractive to people who want peppy dialogue and character moments. It's a storyline that is all story. It's the opposite of other Marvel events, which seemed like someone put together a bunch of story beats and shocking moments, then filled it in with story attempting to move from one point to the next.

Another thing I'm skeptical about is the fact that The Avengers roster seems really over inflated right now and The Builders at one point basically decimated an entire fleet of interplanetary vessels and some how some way without even trying they only killed nameless aliens. They didn't have to kill Captain America or Thor, but how is it possible that not a single Avenger died. It really made the whole Builders story feel like a big waste of time that amounted to nothing.

You do realize this is quite literally the most powerful Avengers team ever right? Pretty much every team split off during the war had a massive powerhouse in it sans the recent infiltration team. Also you have to be the only person clamoring for a death here. One of the big problems people have had with big events is pointless deaths. An Avenger dying wouldn't have much more weight to the story.

I think a lot of the art and characterization is crap, too.  Cannonball and Sunspot serve what purpose, exactly? They neither terribly look like nor act anything like the characters have been for the past 25 years.

#2 isn't even a mystery, morons will buy it because it's a new number one issue and that leads to profit. It just so happens to be an amazing book regardless. If they did the same gimmick with Morbius or something; then, the joke works better.

#2 isn't even a mystery, morons will buy it because it's a new number one issue and that leads to profit. It just so happens to be an amazing book regardless. If they did the same gimmick with Morbius or something; then, the joke works better.

Well, it was supposed to be more of a general rule. They do that with almost all the books nowadays, although rarely with the same team.