DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Decided to check out some more Marvel stuff. Was looking at the racks and had no idea what to get. I was thinking about trying to catch up on X-Men, but then I read the primer page for All New X-Men...and I had to reread it again....and again. Something about the original X-Men time traveling and getting stuck in the present doesn't sound super interesting to me. I'm not a huge Bendis fan, so I'm not sure if I want to read his take on them anyway. Any thoughts on the X-Books and which ones are worth reading?

Wolverine & the X-Men

• Like 1

Like the sound of this:

May 2014 will see a five-part story called The Amazing Spider-Man Year One: Learning to Crawl that will run side-by-side with the main Amazing Spider-Man series. Released as a five-part mini-series with numbering of Amazing Spider-Man 1.1 to 1.5 from May to September, the series is meant to be a story for young Peter Parker and Spider-Man that fills in some of the blanks of his earliest adventures. Dan Slott is writing both series concurrently, with art on the mini-series by Ramon Perez, and covers by Alex Ross.

"When you're looking at things in those issues, you're going: 'Wait a minute! How did this happen? How did he get this? Where did this come from? Why didn't Aunt May ever wonder about that?'" Slott told The AP. "You start looking at it closer and closer and you go, 'There's a story here that we're not seeing.' A very pivotal and crucial story that lovingly respects everything that went on but tells you more, so much more about Spider-Man and so much more about Peter Parker."

The villain for the story, which takes place between the pages of the early Amazing Spider-Man comics by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, will be a new one, and one that is Peter's peer, in both age and focus.

Credit: newsarama.com

I remember when this was called Untold Tales of Spider-Man.

All New X-men #23, Guardians of the Galaxy #11. Bendis still feels mixed on writing the Guardians. I still hate the Galactic Council he made up which makes little sense. GOTG issue felt unnecessary as it didn't really feel like much happened. The Shiar going after a younger Jean Grey makes no real sense and is kind of annoying. As general read this was still ok, but honestly the only thing I truly dug was

Corsair's return.

I'm a little amazed by how much Slott has to wrap up in the next four(!) issues of Amazing.  It's like an old school storyline with everything that's going on.

This.  And it's been the sort of slow, sustained build you don't see much anymore in the tpb era.

Really curious to see who the Goblin King is.  I have no idea.  I don't believe it is Norman.  Given the lack of clues, It almost seems like Slott will just have to pull a name out of the hat at random, but that would be anticlimatic.  I'm guessing the reveal will be someone who figures into Slott's run somehow, or makes sense given his connection to Spiderman continuity. 

Continuing the "Superior" theme, I'm thinking it's a replacement for Norman.  Not Harry.  A surrogate Green Goblin for a surrogate Spider Man

There's a theory out there that it's somehow little Normie Osborne, controlling another body. This makes some sense. The renaming of characters (Goblin Knight) seem like something a child would come up with).

It seems like it could be a relative of the Osborns. Goblin King referred to Harry as his ...... (he didn't finish the sentence). Uncle? Brother? Son?

I'm kinda wondering if Slott would bring back

Gabriel Stacy/Grey Goblin.

But that involves bringing up one of the least popular plot twists in recent memory. Slott would be better off bringing back Jackyl and the clones.

The people who think it's really

Peter Parker

are out there.  No idea how Slott would get from that to hero Spidey in time for the movie.

I'm a little amazed by how much Slott has to wrap up in the next four(!) issues of Amazing.  It's like an old school storyline with everything that's going on.

This.  And it's been the sort of slow, sustained build you don't see much anymore in the tpb era.

Really curious to see who the Goblin King is.  I have no idea.  I don't believe it is Norman.  Given the lack of clues, It almost seems like Slott will just have to pull a name out of the hat at random, but that would be anticlimatic.  I'm guessing the reveal will be someone who figures into Slott's run somehow, or makes sense given his connection to Spiderman continuity. 

Continuing the "Superior" theme, I'm thinking it's a replacement for Norman.  Not Harry.  A surrogate Green Goblin for a surrogate Spider Man

There's a theory out there that it's somehow little Normie Osborne, controlling another body. This makes some sense. The renaming of characters (Goblin Knight) seem like something a child would come up with).

It seems like it could be a relative of the Osborns. Goblin King referred to Harry as his ...... (he didn't finish the sentence). Uncle? Brother? Son?

But that involves bringing up one of the least popular plot twists in recent memory. Slott would be better off bringing back Jackyl and the clones.

Peter Parker

are out there.  No idea how Slott would get from that to hero Spidey in time for the movie.

So, I'm of the belief it's not Norman, it could be Harry (we did see both in ASM #700) but still have no clue who it is. I love a good mystery!

Like the sound of this:

May 2014 will see a five-part story called The Amazing Spider-Man Year One: Learning to Crawl that will run side-by-side with the main Amazing Spider-Man series. Released as a five-part mini-series with numbering of Amazing Spider-Man 1.1 to 1.5 from May to September, the series is meant to be a story for young Peter Parker and Spider-Man that fills in some of the blanks of his earliest adventures. Dan Slott is writing both series concurrently, with art on the mini-series by Ramon Perez, and covers by Alex Ross.

"When you're looking at things in those issues, you're going: 'Wait a minute! How did this happen? How did he get this? Where did this come from? Why didn't Aunt May ever wonder about that?'" Slott told The AP. "You start looking at it closer and closer and you go, 'There's a story here that we're not seeing.' A very pivotal and crucial story that lovingly respects everything that went on but tells you more, so much more about Spider-Man and so much more about Peter Parker."

The villain for the story, which takes place between the pages of the early Amazing Spider-Man comics by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, will be a new one, and one that is Peter's peer, in both age and focus.

Which was probably one of the best Spider-Man books ever. Read it, if you haven't!

Peter Parker

So, I'm of the belief it's not Norman, it could be Harry (we did see both in ASM #700) but still have no clue who it is. I love a good mystery!

I'm also looking forward to seeing who the Goblin King is in The Superior Spider-Man. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Peter Parker reclaims his mind/body from Otto Octavius's control and will SpOck continue in a new title? The Superior Spider-Man is a criticial and commercial success.

Like the sound of this:

Which was probably one of the best Spider-Man books ever. Read it, if you haven't!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Man I remember when Superior was just three issues in and some goofball was in the shop saying, "Nah I won't read that stuff. Peter Parker is Spider-Man." Just insane reactions to the premise of this story.

• Like 1

Man I remember when Superior was just three issues in and some goofball was in the shop saying, "Nah I won't read that stuff. Peter Parker is Spider-Man." Just insane reactions to the premise of this story.

The endings to The Amazing Spider-Man #698-700 caused controversy and shock. I was surprised at the turn of events having read about them as they were reported but I was open to them and what followed, The Superior Spider-Man because of Dan Slott’s great track record. Dying Wish and The Superior Spider-Man are some of the best books from Dan Slott's long run as sole Spider-Man writer on The Amazing Spider-Man/The Superior Spider-Man.

I think SpOck is going to have an ongoing concurrently, somehow?  Superior is definitely continuing.

I do as well, either taking place before Peter Parker's return or ignoring it as it's own separate book. Hope so as I've really enjoyed Otto Octavius tenure as The Superior Spider-Man. Give the book to Christopher Yost.

A Top Ten Countdown about Superior Spider-Man:

http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/countdown-top-10-things-that-made-superior-spider-man-a-superior-comic-book/

Hell, just adapt Academy X(sans kids getting blown up by the Purifiers). It's going to ignore the comic continuity to begin with so you can ignore House of M and Decimation and just focus on the core group of kids working to become X-Men.

Loved the 90's X-men.series. It didn't hold up as much I as hoped when I rewatched it a few years back, but it was still a pretty enjoyable series. W&TXM was quite good though not as favorable direction wise with some of the characters.

What I want to see for the next X-men series is honestly a long series that goes through the various time periods and changes within the X-men. Start off with a nice 13 episode season of the original five, then move on to the new team for 26 or more episodes and so on.