DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I just watched the Paul Heyman doc, and I was very pleased with it. I have to say that I love that the WWE put out something celebrating how one particular great bullshit artist stands out amongst an industry filled with great bullshit artists. I couldnt stop smiling the whole way through, especially during the extras.

RVD was also one blown taillight causing the cops to cuff him away from getting some bad press for the company as its World Champion.

That was probably a factor.

It's not as though the potential to draw negative publicity ever stopped them from going all in with Randy Orton. Double standards abound. 

When they found out about the stipulation for the Rollins/Ambrose match, my stepkids were asking me to show them an example of a lumberjack match b/c they'd never seen one. I couldn't think of any good ones off of the top of my head so maybe you guys can help. Are there any lumberjack matches I can find on the Network that are worth watching?

It's not on the network but...

watch this promo and then this 7 minute match that's the best 7 minute match you'll see all day, and then watch the lumberjack match that follows later in the night (the finish to the first match leads to the finish of the lumberjack match)

• Like 1

In regards to "liking bad wrestlers when you were a kid", I legit thought the Smoking Gunns were the greatest things since sliced bread. I liked Adam Bomb a lot and was just devastated when he showed up in WCW as Wrath. I thought Aldo Montoya deserved better, and King Kong Bundy terrified me. I became a fan during that "New Generation" era, and have since realized that "New Generation" was code for "guys we could afford to pay after Vince almost got thrown in the clink for a dime."

I wasn't a big Smoking Guns fan, but in my sophmore year of high school my friend and I would use their sideslam/leg drop off the top move when we would do our backyard wrestling.  It is amazing we never paralyzed another kid doing it.  We also used the Shawn Michaels/Diesel jumping high five as our celebration taunt.  We also dropped Jason Davis on his tailbone once during a suplex gone wrong and he couldn't take a shit for 3 weeks, but was too afraid to tell his parents he got hurt backyard wrestling.  Ahhhhh...the memories.

• Like 8

Sting's son came up on the JR podcsst. He said he didnt think his son would have any interest in wrestling if he did not make the nfl.

Maybe that interest changes when he realizes it pays more than pro surfing.

But yeah, the kids of 90s guys may view Wrestling as the reason why their dad is never home. Like Tristan Nash's POV of wrestling or such

I wasn't a big Smoking Guns fan, but in my sophmore year of high school my friend and I would use their sideslam/leg drop off the top move when we would do our backyard wrestling.  It is amazing we never paralyzed another kid doing it.  We also used the Shawn Michaels/Diesel jumping high five as our celebration taunt.  We also dropped Jason Davis on his tailbone once during a suplex gone wrong and he couldn't take a shit for 3 weeks, but was too afraid to tell his parents he got hurt backyard wrestling.  Ahhhhh...the memories.

My buddy and I, "the Dixie Death Dealers," used a Buff Blockbuster from the top turnbuckle with our opponent on my shoulders. I was the big man. Even then, I wasn't bumping unless necessary...

For our first gimmick I was T-Rex,and my partner was the Raptor.  Yes, we were totally doing a Jurassic Park influenced gimmick in 1993.  Pretty soon we just became a rip of off HBK and Diesel, who we were all convinced would be the next Hulk Hogan once his push started.  Then we got ECW on TV and did a whole bunch of stupid shit. 

Our "steel cage deathmatch" featuring 60 ft of chain link we "borrowed" from a plant nursery closeout sale with our arch-enemies, "the Love of Money", with members Jimmy H. Bankroll and "Peso" Willy Stevens, drew kids from all over the neighborhood and adults from like, two streets over. We went over after I threw Stevens from the top of the cage he landed on a pile of rubbish next to the ring. Since technically he never touched the ground, we beat on Bankroll to our hearts content and then pinned him.