DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So watching the Paul Heyman documentary part of the DVD and yeah this as good as people thought it would be.  If you are an ECW fan I would argue this is a better DVD than the Rise and Fall DVD many years ago in showing the company.  some thoughts on watching this:

1.  The basic story of Paul Heyman early years is that he basically stuck his foot in the door even when he didn't deserve to see the door to begin with.  The ultimate opportunist.   I mean the story of him sneaking into Dusty's booking meeting and bullshitting his way to the top after getting caught was awesome.   

2.  I wonder how they got Memphis footage from 1987.  I remember hearing that Lawler selling parts of the library to the WWE and it would get shown on the Network.   Maybe that was it or it was Heyman personal footage. 

3.  There is so much backstage footage of ECW it is unbelievable and I really wondering where they got it.  Did Heyman run a camera in the back the entire time or was this Feinstein's footage never seen before.   The best part of this was Heyman trying to get a solid promo of Big Val Puccio and he is screaming at him and holding him.  There is also a story of Heyman apparently waking up in his sleep to tell Tommy Dreamer and Ron Buffone that an edit needs to be fixed.  This is a glimpse of ECW that most people really hasn't seen I think.

4.  The only major negative I have with the documentary was that the end of WCW was almost completely ignored.  It went from the Dangerous Alliance being the best stuff there to he was fired.  Heyman gives a good excuse in that there was a lawsuit that they couldn't talk about but nobody else said nothing else include Ross who Heyman talked about

5.  The relationship of Heyman and Ross is really interesting.  You can see the respect but you can also see that Ross has wanted to beat the piss out of Heyman hundreds of times.  

6.  Really good stuff from Tommy Dreamer.  Tommy description of the new ECW as the child of a divorce who is living with someone and has to follow in their rules even if the original father hates it is really solid.  Joey Styles is always really good at holding no punches and especially his hatred of the 2005 version of ECW.   

7.  According to Paul, the original Alliance angle was Shane McMahon buying ECW in 2000.  That would have been intriguing.  

Looking forward to see the blu ray exclusives after this.  Definitely would recommend it but I would think most people on here will.

• Like 2

The Heyman interview on the Jericho podcast was great as well. Promoted wrestling while working at Studio 54 and that was the start of it. It was a perfect marriage, easy access to coke for the boys.

He didn't say when in 2000 this plan was hatched so it wouldn't be too suprising if it was near the end of the year when the company was damn near dead.

So far the highlight of the Heyman extras was Paul E Dangerously's Danger Zone in the AWA with Ted E Bear and that he used the Jimmy Snuka ECW's "THE MOLTEN LAVA" promo twice.   :D

I'm watching the Heenan DVD and they mentioned that he was diagnosed with stage four cancer in late 1999 

I always wonder about what would've happened if they had caught it earlier and were able to remove it. Could you imagine if Bobby Heenan had been able to appear on WWE TV periodically over the past 13 years? With the authority figure thing becoming big at this time, Heenan could've returned for that. He would've been a hilarious general manager.

I'm watching the Heenan DVD and they mentioned that he was diagnosed with stage four cancer in late 1999

I always wonder about what would've happened if they had caught it earlier and were able to remove it. Could you imagine if Bobby Heenan had been able to appear on WWE TV periodically over the past 13 years? With the authority figure thing becoming big at this time, Heenan could've returned for that. He would've been a hilarious general manager.

Sonuva bitch, I'm now imagining Heenan in the Invasion. Would've still turned out the same, but to have Heenan outshine Lawler on the mic every night ...

• Like 1

Would anyone have better than Heenan as the temporary evil GM who ends up humiliated and begging for his job when Vince returns shtick?

Speaking of Vince, here he is talking about the importance of silence as a storytelling tool.

I would love to see a documentary of Vince breaking down his favorite angles and matches and moments.

• Like 2

Would anyone have better than Heenan as the temporary evil GM who ends up humiliated and begging for his job when Vince returns shtick?

Speaking of Vince, here he is talking about the importance of silence as a storytelling tool.

I would love to see a documentary of Vince breaking down his favorite angles and matches and moments.

He'd have to put on a weasel suit for X amount of time to get his job back.

Paul Heyman is clearly one of the best of all time because he has fucking worked so many people into thinking he is more than just a sleeze bag and a terrible businessman.

10.jpg

Speaking of...  I really want to hear Gorilla and Jesse on my TV. Even when RAW is terrible they would make it sound like it's fucking AWESOME and we'd be stupid to turn it off.

• Like 1

Paul Heyman is clearly one of the best of all time because he has fucking worked so many people into thinking he is more than just a sleeze bag and a terrible businessman.

Depends on what "more" means.  He is those things plus other things that are great, like a great actor and fantastic writer and booker and a spellbinding presence.  You could say then that he is "more" meaning more things than those two you mentioned.  Or you could say that those other things don't make him "more" than his essence, which is that he is a sleaze bag and a terrible businessman.

Them too. I've never been able to decide which team I love more. All I know is that they are about a billion levels above this Cole, Lawler and JBL team.

To be fair, I would even argue that Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay and an extremely unmotivated Bobby Heenan are better than what we have now. 

3.  There is so much backstage footage of ECW it is unbelievable and I really wondering where they got it.  Did Heyman run a camera in the back the entire time or was this Feinstein's footage never seen before.   The best part of this was Heyman trying to get a solid promo of Big Val Puccio and he is screaming at him and holding him.  There is also a story of Heyman apparently waking up in his sleep to tell Tommy Dreamer and Ron Buffone that an edit needs to be fixed.  This is a glimpse of ECW that most people really hasn't seen I think.

Seconding everything here, but especially this one. Everyone focuses on the lost gem matches they would dig up if they ever got free reign to WWE's archives, but between the revelation of this stuff and a lot of the behind the scenes on that History of Wrestlemania documentary from a couple years back, I would think there's tons of this sorts of footage that I would find just as compelling as having access to every Kaz Hayashi match from Worldwide.

And holy shit, actual corroboration on Paul Heyman having some sort of history with Studio 54, at the very least for the party with Ric Flair and Bam Bam Bigelow.