DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

I thought he already had a reality show on CMT, and after that finished, the official weekly programming for GFW would begin? Or did that go out the window with the false "Toby Keith as a backer" rumor?

This story is a reminder of why the WWE is gambling so much on the Network. TNA, like WCW before it, basically finds itself on death's door because network executives decided that, decent ratings or not, they didn't want wrestling on their channel anymore.*

*of course, TNA and WCW were money losing sinkholes and creative and professional embarrassments for everyone that came into contact with them.

I think we have to figure that Spike just saw this as a failed experiment. They pumped money into it, they devoted valuable time slots, they helped TNA woo a lot of big names over the years and it just never worked. You gotta figure that whomever made this call looked at TNA and just saw that while it's going to give a good rating to the channel there's no chance of growth in the future. Why not use that Thursday slot to launch another franchise, whether it be sports or entertainment? 

I mean, Bellator doesn't get the ratings but live sports are more valuable inherently and Bellator at least has the possibility of growth. 

I think people that are still thinking that wrestling is a valuable property on TV, or that Spike is going to reconsider, or that TNA is going to find a deal that had the same advantages in time slot and support that they've had from Spike, are stuck in the wrestling bubble. I think this is the end of the road for Spike's involvement in pushing wrestling. I mean, I do see some company getting a maybe an hour on a Friday or a weekend block or something of that ilk, but as a franchise..I think that's over. 

And really...the illusion of there being a number 2 in this country is gone. I mean, shit...when TNA goes technically the NXT brand is probably the second most viewed promotion in the country. ROH just exists, like TNA, as a TV product but at least they're owned by the people they're responsible for providing content too. It'll stick around until one day some Sinclair exec decides to launch, I dunno, a Saturday variety show or something and then that goes away too.  

But to paraphrase what Alvarez wrote in Death of WCW, what ultimately killed TNA is that, Russo aside and shitty booking aside and shady practices aside, there was an executive that ultimately saw TNA as just something in a time slot that could be cancelled. 

That said, it's great to blame this on Russo and Dixie's incompetence because, well, fuck them both. 

I gotta believe Jeff Jarrett's new group would be the logical choice to step in take over at Spike and many of TNA 's wrestlers. Spike TV people know him.

p007n09b.jpg?nodefault=true

Blackadder: There are only two princesses in Europe available. The first is Grand Duchess Sophia of Turin. We'll never get her to marry him.

Baldrick: Why not?

Blackadder: Because she's met him.

• Like 7

Hopefully someone can calm down Smith Hart while we're at it.  He tweeted that Russo had killed his brother and two wrestling companies and offered to fight Russo on the final episode of Impact.

Smith Hat is a lonely, smelly old man who has done nothing with his life. I'd like to fight him on the final Impact and kick him in his vagina. 

• Like 2

Given the ECW kick that Dixie seems to be on, she should hire back Don Callis to represent Spike. 

Dixie is going to show up at Raw soon expecting to do commentary. Then be silently removed by security and taken to a nut house.

How can we make talking about wrestling even more socially awkward? I know! Let's name the company TNA. Was that a Russo invention?

Many people don’t know this, but I actually came up with “TNA”, and it was supposed to mean EXACTLY what you think it was supposed to mean (Tits and Ass!). “TOTAL NON-STOP ACTION”, was just designed to be the “EXPLANATION” if anybody ever asked. Originally “TNA” was to be adult-orientated, with adult storylines, harsh language and nudity. That’s why it was originally pitched as a pay-per-view show, rather than a network one. Unfortunately, over the years, TNA became just “another” wrestling show.

When I originally came up with it, it was entitled, “Bitch Slap”, and it was going to be the GLOW of the 2000’s! I pitched it as a weekly pay per view to Direct TV alongside Jeremy Borash, long before TNA was first pitched. Direct TV loved it, but we didn’t have the ‘know about’ to get the funding. I actually met with GLOW’s David McLane prior to the pitch. The concept was based around R-Rated female characters with such names as “Birdy Hole-4-One” (Professional Golfer), “Beastie Ally” (do I really need to explain?), and Tag Team Champions “Moose Knuckle and Camel Toe (again, no explanation necessary).

THE THREAD THAT KEEPS ON GIVING

This is just superb

I think my favorite part of the TNA story came fairly late. There was this wonderful "disturbance in the force" moment that we all felt when Dixie was about to show up on screen for the first time. You knew she just couldn't resist what was to come. It was that moment of hubris in Antigone or something.

And then it proved to be ridiculously and predictably true.

Which frankly should have just been their motto.

• Like 2

Does anyone else wonder what Vince Russo's email address is?

I see him still rocking an early 2000s style [email protected]

I think it'd be more like [email protected]

Does anyone else wonder what Vince Russo's email address is?

I see him still rocking an early 2000s style [email protected]

Bullshit; [email protected]. or Hotmail.

Edit: ^ dammit!

Damn, that's eerie!

Mindspring, people. Mindspring.

• Like 2

Juno was the shit for when you were a kid and your parents wouldn't spring for everyone's outragous hourly rates and you just wanted email, and could get to Usenet because your local BBS Admin was fucking awesome and had access.  

Dave said the wrestling companies Spike were in talks with were not who you'd expect, so that disqualifies the super indies. I'd guess AAA simply because they're the only promotion that already produces a weekly TV show with production values that rival Impact.

Can't be AAA, they're coming to El Rey Network in October.  At this point any indy company with their shit together would be an upgrade.  Just a damn shame that the past couple weeks of TNA have been good to great, and it's still not enough to undo the damage.

Dave said the wrestling companies Spike were in talks with were not who you'd expect, so that disqualifies the super indies. I'd guess AAA simply because they're the only promotion that already produces a weekly TV show with production values that rival Impact.

ZOMG it's New Japan with JR and Punk on commentary!!1!1!11!11!!1!!!1!1!1!!!

• Like 2

Rumors floating that Spike told TMZ that they're done negotiating with TNA and that cancellation is a done deal.

So who's the TV network with the dumb bastards in charge that will inexplicably sign them?

I'd say NBC/Universal, but they already got WWE.  

I don't think there are any real networks with money that aren't owned by Disney/NewsCorp/Universal/Viacom, none of which would run TNA with Dixie at the helm.

And y'all bitch about the shittiness of TNA.  Just wait until you see the shit Konnan rolls out.

But fuck all that.  Rippa and I have it all figured out - Sarah Palin is starting her own network.  Palin and Dixie would be like the ultimate marriage of crazy for the network.

Please Lord, if you love us, make TNA on Palin's network happen.

• Like 2