DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

You see, the problem is that Dixie Carter is an old lady with a lazy eye. Why was she put on television? Are you telling me she couldn't find a young hot actress to play the role of boss? Somebody sexy and talented who you WANT to see on TV... 

Its a vanity thing. So she could make a shitty action figure of herself which ten mouth breathers on the planet only bought. 

If she pulled her head out of her ass and stopped surrounding herself with idiots, things could have been so different. 

Not that I want to defend Russo, Carter, and TNA.  But them disliking Russo for his booking and disobeying their standards and practices are a joke to me.  They are Spike TV.  They are responsible for some of the worst TV programming of all time that is raunchy, low class, and everything else.  Did they have anything to say about the male on female violence that constantly happened in WWE under their watch?  I imagine whatever stupid show Russo pitched was bad, but again...they produced RAISING THE ROOFS.  

Russo's sexism is just TOO blatant, even by Spike's standards. Spike's content tends to be: "Hey, look at this model. Isn't she hot? Don't you want to nail her then have a beer?" Degrading and stupid? But it's not much different from what you see in advertising.

Russo meanwhile just has women calling each other sluts and whores and there's a genuine nastiness about it. The man violently hates women.

Judging by his erratic Twitter account, I think for the first time in his life Russo might finally be understanding that, yes, he is the problem and everyone else just isn't wrong after all.

Russo does not, and never has had a twitter account
Morons.

Not that I want to defend Russo, Carter, and TNA.  But them disliking Russo for his booking and disobeying their standards and practices are a joke to me.  They are Spike TV.  They are responsible for some of the worst TV programming of all time that is raunchy, low class, and everything else.  Did they have anything to say about the male on female violence that constantly happened in WWE under their watch?  I imagine whatever stupid show Russo pitched was bad, but again...they produced RAISING THE ROOFS.  

Just saying, they are Spike TV.  Hard for me to believe they should care or have a holier than thou attitude about Vince Russo.  

I find it easier to believe they just don't like Dixie Carter and find her incompetent.  

I mean, look at all the big names TNA brought in to move the needle.  They are all gone, and the ratings are still pretty much the same.  And with UFC gone, doesn't Impact still draw better numbers for them than Bellator?

I agree with you. I don't get the talking point of Spike not agreeing with Russo's content because of female violence or that it went against their standards and practices. So Russo's content goes against that, but fucking 1,000 Ways to Die, that has multiple interstitials with some big boobed girl in a low cut tank top throwing it out to the next ridiculous segment, doesn't violate those standards? What? Also, the channel is Spike, which was and is advertised as the first channel for men and apparently they believe those men to be meatheads and/or potheads. 

So I think that bit about Spike not agreeing with things is full of shit, but that doesn't mean that they don't loathe Russo or think Dixie is woefully incompetent. This has as much to do with Dixie as it does anything else. Again, let's just say she was flat out told to not bring in Russo. So she does anyway and tries to keep it a secret. How could you be confident in someone as dumb as that?

Judging by his erratic Twitter account, I think for the first time in his life Russo might finally be understanding that, yes, he is the problem and everyone else just isn't wrong after all.

Russo does not, and never has had a twitter account

Yes he does.

Russo's sexism is just TOO blatant, even by Spike's standards. Spike's content tends to be: "Hey, look at this model. Isn't she hot? Don't you want to nail her then have a beer?" Degrading and stupid? But it's not much different from what you see in advertising.

Russo meanwhile just has women calling each other sluts and whores and there's a genuine nastiness about it. The man violently hates women.

I guess I can see both sides here...

Meltzer did mention that Spike have been talking to some other wrestling companies about a potential spot.

Let the guessing game begin. ROH? PWG? Chikara? I would watch the shit out of weekly two-hour Chikara.

• Like 1

Not that I want to defend Russo, Carter, and TNA. But them disliking Russo for his booking and disobeying their standards and practices are a joke to me. They are Spike TV. They are responsible for some of the worst TV programming of all time that is raunchy, low class, and everything else. Did they have anything to say about the male on female violence that constantly happened in WWE under their watch? I imagine whatever stupid show Russo pitched was bad, but again...they produced RAISING THE ROOFS.

Just saying, they are Spike TV. Hard for me to believe they should care or have a holier than thou attitude about Vince Russo.

I find it easier to believe they just don't like Dixie Carter and find her incompetent.

I mean, look at all the big names TNA brought in to move the needle. They are all gone, and the ratings are still pretty much the same. And with UFC gone, doesn't Impact still draw better numbers for them than Bellator?

Not to mention Spike had no issue with him for 6 years while he worked there. If they hated him so bad, why wouldn't they just drop Impact in 2007, 2010, or 2012 when the tv contract came up.

I'd love to see someone else get the slot. Does ROH have enough people to do two hours of weekly TV? Was their cable-company PPV a complete failure? They're the only other company with a (minor) sugar daddy behind them.

Meltzer did mention that Spike have been talking to some other wrestling companies about a potential spot.

Let the guessing game begin. ROH? PWG? Chikara? I would watch the shit out of weekly two-hour Chikara.

For all its flaws I think the time is kinda right for something like Chikara to become a fairly viable WWE alternative.

Hopefully someone can calm down Smith Hart while we're at it.  He tweeted that Russo had killed his brother and two wrestling companies and offered to fight Russo on the final episode of Impact.

Russo's done a segment on TNA with Roddy Piper with him saying it to his face as well.

RoH's Cable PPV wasn't a failure per-say, but between how much of a cut of PPV providers take (50%) and booking being hamstrung by pre-taped PPV's, there were issues.  

That said, ROH does an hour of TV a week now, and there's nothing holding Spike to keeping the slot at 2 hours, so it could easily slot in since its probably in the best position to slot right in.

For all its flaws I think the time is kinda right for something like Chikara to become a fairly viable WWE alternative.

I want to see a nationally televised wrestling promotion do a time travel angle. I just do. I'm not sorry.

• Like 1

I want to see a nationally televised wrestling promotion do a time travel angle. I just do. I'm not sorry.

I submit that, if Chikara had TV at the time, they probably wouldn't have gone on hiatus. Granted, I also accept that I don't know shit about how or why all that happened.

In regards to Spike basing this on Russo, it could be a couple things.  It was rumored a year or two ago that Spike wanted to move away from being a guy's channel because their highest-rated show, by far. was 'Bar Rescue' and that was because it had both male and female viewers  So, while they may have tolerated man on woman violence in the past and shitty misogyny still, it doesn't mean that they aren't in the process of moving away from it.  

In regards to Russo, himself, there could be reasons we're not privy to why they don't like him.  Maybe they had specific points outlined to what TNA could and could not do and TNA violated said points and when they asked who was in charge, were told Russo and harbored a grudge over that.  Maybe they had actual dealings with him in person and said, you know, "Fuck that guy", we're not dealing with him again.

People need to remember that while they didn't own TNA, Spike didn't exactly have a hands off approach either. They were giving it two hours in prime time. Of course they were involved. You'd have Spike execs at every show and many backstage meetings. Knowing how brash Russo can be, it's easy to see a scenario where he pissed off someone.

I wonder if Billy Corgan's promotion can have a show on Spike while they're doing that reality show on A&E or whatever channel it's on. Probably not. I don't see CHIKARA fitting in with the type of stuff Spike usually shows - it's geared towards "bros" and people like that. It can't be ROH, since they're tied down with Sinclair Broadcasting, right?

Spike might just be thinking that they can pay some production company to put a show together. That is essentially what Wrestling Society X was after all, and there's enough decent free agents without even necessarily having to pick the bones of TNA.

That said, you know Eric Bischoff is putting something together.

Not that I want to defend Russo, Carter, and TNA. But them disliking Russo for his booking and disobeying their standards and practices are a joke to me. They are Spike TV. They are responsible for some of the worst TV programming of all time that is raunchy, low class, and everything else. Did they have anything to say about the male on female violence that constantly happened in WWE under their watch? I imagine whatever stupid show Russo pitched was bad, but again...they produced RAISING THE ROOFS.

Just saying, they are Spike TV. Hard for me to believe they should care or have a holier than thou attitude about Vince Russo.

I mean, look at all the big names TNA brought in to move the needle. They are all gone, and the ratings are still pretty much the same. And with UFC gone, doesn't Impact still draw better numbers for them than Bellator?

Not to mention Spike had no issue with him for 6 years while he worked there. If they hated him so bad, why wouldn't they just drop Impact in 2007, 2010, or 2012 when the tv contract came up.
hang_in_there_kitty-thumb-250x332.jpg
  • Like 5