DVDVR Message Board

TMZ report that TNA Wrestling is cancelled.

This is all going to just end with GFW on Spike.

With Jeff Jarret as world champion and the young up and comer (and IWGP Heavyweight Champion) AJ Styles and head booker Vance Risso and walking in slow motion through cities.

Impact is under Spike Sports so it's held to different standards than something like Manswers.  When Bellator events start getting promoted around a man trying to knock out a woman then people can cry hypocrisy.

The idea that TNA being bad is keeping some other promotion from landing a TV deal is absurd.  There are thousands of cable channels.  If one of them wanted pro wrestling, they'd have pro wrestling.

To me this is as much Jeff Jarrett's fault as anyone's.  Jarrett constantly got in the way of the growth of TNA.

Russo and Dixie both. This is why she can't quit him. Because they can both sit around together and blame all their problems on everyone else in TNA and make each other feel better.

To be fair, TNN gave Heyman a lot of grief about the contents of his show. The Spike management is the same as TNN's at the time. 

Non-WWE wrestling is held to a different standard by Viacom, always has been.

With regard to ECW on TNN: were the objections by the network actually toward the content of the show? I seem to remember reading at the time that it had more to do with production values/broadcast standards (hence the Hardcore Heaven re-broadcast when the show needed to be re-tooled).

I was unsure whether or not there was a management changeover between 1999 and now at TNN/Spike, but I must say: if there hasn't been, then what in the hell would make TNA think it's a good idea to do all that ECW-themed stuff at the NYC shows?

On a side note, speaking of non-WWE wrestling on Viacom: I really, really enjoyed the overall presentation of WSX, with the faux-warehouse set. If I were to hit lotto and start a promotion tomorrow (let the Wrestlicious jokes fly), I think I would probably follow that style most closely. The small space worked with their limitations, instead of TNA relying on weird camera angles and frickin' lasers in the Impact Zone. It was like an ECW meets territory studio show meets WCW Pro type vibe, at least for me.

The D in Matt D no longer stands for Dumb.

Long live Matt Delightful

...until the next March Madness, anyway.

I FULLY support knowing (in an internet sort of way, and not the naked picture internet sort of way) someone called Matt Delightful. Really, who wouldn't?

In regards to TNN/Spike: I believe ECW being brought on was the start of the rebranding that eventually lead to Spike. I'm not sure if it's the exact same people (it has been 15 years) but it's probably their ideological successors. I can't imagine that Viacom's corporate goals for TNN/Spike have changed that much since they rebooted from The Nashville Network to The Network for Men. ECW was the start of that reboot. 

And if you believe Paul E. on the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD, TNN would regularly object to content as well. The Network stable was meant to be a jab at TNN for their constant objections. 

Does anyone else wonder what Vince Russo's email address is?

I see him still rocking an early 2000s style [email protected]

I think it'd be more like [email protected]

Does anyone else wonder what Vince Russo's email address is?

I see him still rocking an early 2000s style [email protected]

Bullshit; [email protected]. or Hotmail.

Edit: ^ dammit!

Damn, that's eerie!

Bottom line: This is how the real world works. It's Viacom's channel, and they are allowed to dictate to the shows that they air just like any other network does with any one of its programs.

Spike made an ultimatum, TNA ignored it and they got what they had coming, period. And we/Dixie/Russo/EN090 can argue the validity of Viacom making the ultimatum in the first place all we want, but if they thought enough to make it, TNA should have thought enough to honor it.

I can just see Dixie and Russo somewhere ranting and raving about how dare Spike tell Dixie Carter how to run HER company! She's a wrestling veteran of 12 years!

Ugh. UGH! That just ... that's probably so fucking close to the truth, too, I bet ... ugh.

Why does SPIKE know or care about Vince Russo? The answer is that during Russo's official tenure in TNA, he repeatedly went against SPIKE TV's wishes to abide by their standards and practices. He basically ignored every request they made of him every time they made it. Things like "Male on Female violence" as just one example that I'd read about but there were many others.

As far as Russo and Spike he pitched a rasslin sitcom to them years ago, and it was so stupid they laughed, and then he got Panda to offer to FINANCE IT 100% and they still wanted nothing to do with it. They liked D'Amore but they know exactly who, and WHAT, Russo is.

Interesting post from Wrestling Classics, expanding on Russo-Spike problems.

Sorry for dialing this back a few pages, but did someone mention Standards and Practices?

10559785_838267832851319_406448793432547

Given the ECW kick that Dixie seems to be on, she should hire back Don Callis to represent Spike. 

I say "hire back" but I doubt Dixie and co remember that he even worked there. They seem to have amnesia about their weekly PPV days. Just ask AJ Styles. 

How can we make talking about wrestling even more socially awkward? I know! Let's name the company TNA. Was that a Russo invention?

Many people don’t know this, but I actually came up with “TNA”, and it was supposed to mean EXACTLY what you think it was supposed to mean (Tits and Ass!). “TOTAL NON-STOP ACTION”, was just designed to be the “EXPLANATION” if anybody ever asked. Originally “TNA” was to be adult-orientated, with adult storylines, harsh language and nudity. That’s why it was originally pitched as a pay-per-view show, rather than a network one. Unfortunately, over the years, TNA became just “another” wrestling show.

When I originally came up with it, it was entitled, “Bitch Slap”, and it was going to be the GLOW of the 2000’s! I pitched it as a weekly pay per view to Direct TV alongside Jeremy Borash, long before TNA was first pitched. Direct TV loved it, but we didn’t have the ‘know about’ to get the funding. I actually met with GLOW’s David McLane prior to the pitch. The concept was based around R-Rated female characters with such names as “Birdy Hole-4-One” (Professional Golfer), “Beastie Ally” (do I really need to explain?), and Tag Team Champions “Moose Knuckle and Camel Toe (again, no explanation necessary).

• Like 4