DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Please keep to here only. We fostered a dog on Tuesday and the fucker attacked Offy today. Thankfully Offy is ok. My Dad and Sister have puncture wounds to their hands. I couldn't get into the room to help. We're all shaken up. Could have been so much worse. The dog's been taken away and put down. When I saw the size and breed of, I wasn't comfortable with having it. It's the first time we've ever had a biting dog. This day has fucking sucked.

Ohhhh wow, that's scary. Very glad no one was seriously hurt.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Ohhhh wow, that's scary. Very glad no one was seriously hurt.

Thank you. It was fucking chilling. Fortunately no one was badly hurt or killed from it. You hear stories about dangerous dogs in the media but you never expect it to happen to you. It had to be destroyed.

Thought I'd share a funny story I heard at a funeral I went to for my aunt today. I hadn't seen her in 13 years so I wasn't that affected, but it did give me the chance to see some cousins I hadn't seen in forever because the only people on my dad's side of the family I talk to is just my brother and sister in law. Anyway, the age difference between my brother and me is sizable. He's getting close to 60 and I'll be 43 this year. He was from my dad's previous marriage. I was in my brother's wedding though as a ring bearer (Catholic ceremony), but I was too young to remember much.

For whatever reason, it's in the DNA from my dad's side to just prank people. So my dad took white out or something white to paint "HELP ME" on the sole of my brother's shoe so that when he and my sister in law had to kneel during prayer in front of everyone (again, Catholic ceremony), everyone would see the sole of my brother's shoe. And they did and everyone had a big laugh about it. I had never heard this story before and was too young to remember much of anything except a few details here and there...like my brother having a perm (it was the 80s).

But anyway, I thought that was a solid 10/10 prank and it made me miss my dad a lot after hearing it because I wish he could have met my wife or my daughters. He would have been proud. But he had to be stupid and careless and thoughtless and contract HIV/AIDS and miss out on a lot. Sometimes I think it's just that generation that was just too fucking stupid. Tough man, yelled a lot, kinda scary at times, but also very loving and funny. It's nice to hear those stories.

• Thanks 1

I, uh... I just saw a FakeTaxi in traffic. 

Yep. 

The car in front of me had the logo below the license plate, had a camera outline like this 📷 in the bottom left corner of the back windshield, all windows were blacked out and it had big-ass gold rims. 

Whether the driver was getting blown I will leave to your imagination

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I, uh... I just saw a FakeTaxi in traffic. 

Yep. 

The car in front of me had the logo below the license plate, had a camera outline like this 📷 in the bottom left corner of the back windshield, all windows were blacked out and it had big-ass gold rims. 

Whether the driver was getting blown I will leave to your imagination

At the risk of sounding like someone who is familiar with the concept, I have to ask the question someone else may be wondering: FakeTaxi is fucking REAL?!? I mean even the name isn't so sure...

Dude, I saw a car in the parking lot of a Baltimore County Walmart probably 10 years ago that had a website emblazoned on it (y'know, one of those car exterior wraps that's an ad for whatever) that was "BBWCamShow" something-or-other, because I guess they have to go somewhere to get ring lights and lube.  It's everywhere and all around you.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 2

Oh shit, you know what? I can verify that FakeTaxi was a FakeTaxi because IT HAD NO CORPORATE LOGOS ON THE BACK. I was trying to tell what kind of car it was and what model and there was no little plastic piece or painted written logo. Everything was blacked out in the paint job for the obvious reasons. 

Crazy

On 8/11/2023 at 10:03 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Oh shit, you know what? I can verify that FakeTaxi was a FakeTaxi because IT HAD NO CORPORATE LOGOS ON THE BACK. I was trying to tell what kind of car it was and what model and there was no little plastic piece or painted written logo. Everything was blacked out in the paint job for the obvious reasons. 

Crazy

No, Crazy Taxi is an entirely different deal.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the couples that we have our annual camping trip with died after a car crash on Friday. both of them. Mid 50s. Hearbreaking.

This family might as well be actual blood family for my wife. Vacations together. Multiple camping trips yearly (including the big one!) Luckily all 4 of their kids are grown. They just welcomed their 3rd grandkid into this world about 2 months ago. 

My wife is pretty shaken up about the whole thing. Not looking for sympathy, as it's not mine to receive. But tell your loved ones that you cherish them. Tragedies can happen in an instant.

• Sad 8

This is pretty bad, but I guess it's the most appropriate place to post. I've had to make the painful decision to put my second cat, Cleo to sleep. This isn't any easier than when I had to put Calli to sleep. My heart is broken in two. 

• Sad 9

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This is pretty bad, but I guess it's the most appropriate place to post. I've had to make the painful decision to put my second cat, Cleo to sleep. This isn't any easier than when I had to put Calli to sleep. My heart is broken in two. 

I'm so sorry to hear this.  My deepest condolences, Eddie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:25 PM, twiztor said:

One of the couples that we have our annual camping trip with died after a car crash on Friday. both of them. Mid 50s. Hearbreaking.

This family might as well be actual blood family for my wife. Vacations together. Multiple camping trips yearly (including the big one!) Luckily all 4 of their kids are grown. They just welcomed their 3rd grandkid into this world about 2 months ago. 

My wife is pretty shaken up about the whole thing. Not looking for sympathy, as it's not mine to receive. But tell your loved ones that you cherish them. Tragedies can happen in an instant.

Sorry to read this, mate. Love to you both xxx.

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sorry to read this, mate xxx. It hurts like hell losing them. Next week it's Ralfie's birthday, the bony Westie we saved and Rayven's second anniversary, the pet I loved the most who just turned 6 from cancer.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm sorry bud. A close friend of mine's dachshund, Magnum, just passed after a long, long life; I watched him while said friend was away on tour for a week once. Lovely old boy. My own dog (also a dachshund, and my mom's dog really) is in the same age range and I worry a lot. He's due to have some growths taken off of him and I don't want him put under, so cross your fingers about that. 

To save space the rest is spoilered

Spoiler

I guess I'll use that to segue into some of my own personal stuff. The friend above is having problems with substance abuse like me but his situation is much worse. His wife divorced him and got custody of their kid and he struggles with sobriety even during visitation. That's... another level, I guess. Thankfully he's a tenured and published professor because without the dog and the kid and the prospect of playing live music, he ain't got shit. We had a long talk and hopefully it gave him some comfort. Meanwhile, I've been terminated from Goodwill. Apparently my doctor, in responding to them, said I would only have addiction related issues 2-3 times a week (HA! I guess I wasn't clear enough that I was literally never sober) and could otherwise come back. This was not told to me by HR until she'd sent out the termination letter and I finally cornered her on the phone about why this was their decision. So, I got fucked over on multiple fronts -- my care provider, my job, and my own fucked up mind and body. In better news I finally jumped through enough hoops to join a weekly group phone session for therapy, which of course is a mess. I don't even know how but there are people living on the street calling in, calling from their jobs, calling on their way to "drop" (as in give a piss sample), on their way to drug court... it puts things in a bit of perspective, at least, even if it isn't really therapeutic to my pessimistic ass at all. I was sober for a month but dreaming about liquor every night, finally broke down and dropped some quarters for a night off, did it again a couple nights ago, but now I'm done for hopefully a longer stretch. Still don't carry my debit card. It's just gonna be a process and it'll never be over with, but I'm hanging in there and doing what I can. 

• Sad 2

@Curt McGirt

I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through. I personally can't do phone therapy. I feel like I have to be in an in person setting to get anything out of it. I don't carry my debit card with me either. I wanted to drink last night after putting Cleo to sleep, but family members put a stop to it. If you need to get anything off your chest, feel free to PM me. 

• Thanks 1

I got myself a little hardway juice at the PT job yesterday. I was loading up an SUV with the hatch opened halfway and turned and smacked my head into the corner of the hatch. I basically said "Wow, that hurt" and then realized that I was bleeding and got the hell out of there. My manager saw me bleeding was like "Mike, WTF happened?" Once the bleeding stopped, I was fine. My wife got me home and when I got cleaned up it's barely a scratch and it's already scabbing over. But holy shit, it seemed like I was pouring blood when it happened.  I'm already prepared for going back there today and the first time I have to go out and load up a vehicle I'll hear "Watch your head, Mike!"

• Like 3

I've found three kittens on Petfinder that would potentially be good fits for adoption. One of the kittens is missing an eye. I want to adopt another cat soon, as I can tell that my remaining cat, Coco is going through depression not having her big sister, Cleo around. 

• Like 3