Jump to content

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.


Cristobal
 Share

Recommended Posts

My daughter started 1st grade last week.  Two classes were already put in quarantine by the end of the week.  Today, her whole class was released an hour after school started because a few kids in her class exhibited Covid symptoms.  She'll be on virtual learning until either both kids have a negative test or, if the kids are from ass-backward families who believe the pandemic is a hoax and therefore won't get them tested, 10 school days go by.  And rinse, repeat if when it happens again.  And this is in a highly-vaccinated county in one of the most vaccinated states.  Fuuuuuuuuck.  Just put them all virtual for the rest of the semester/until an under-12 vaccine is approved.  And then make the vaccine mandatory for school like MMR or tetanus. 

Oh, and our neighborhood was blanketed with flyers claiming "The Plandemic" is a Jew globalist hoax designed to squash your freedom and bring about the New World Order one world government.  This is in what is essentially a diverse, middle/upper middle class DC exurb.  WTF people?

Thanks for listening to me rant.

On the plus side, my company just made the vaccine a mandatory condition of employment, so huzzah for that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to think what sort of flash point mandatory vaccinations in school is going to be.  The masks in school debate is ugly in my state and a lot of others.  I don't see mandatory vaccinations in schools getting much traction in a lot of states.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, this is definitely a "bad stuff" post.

I think Washington Gas is in the running with Comcast for Worst Corporation in the U.S.  I've been on hold with their CSR line for over 2 hours today, closing in on 3.  There are reports online of FIVE-hour waits or more.  But I'm trying to stop my service, since I'm moving somewhere where I no longer need my own account.  And since I can't do that through the website, due to some meter problem it claims I have, I have no choice but to sit on hold.

These sorts of things have apparently been going on since before the pandemic, too.  I know a few of you are in the general area; any tips on how to get them to actually do their fucking jobs?  Call a TV reporter, BBB, Chamber of Commerce, anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My daughter started 1st grade last week.  Two classes were already put in quarantine by the end of the week.  Today, her whole class was released an hour after school started because a few kids in her class exhibited Covid symptoms. 

I feel your pain there.  Went through exactly that last fall in Kinder.  It's a half hour drive to my son's school.  That was a fun drive over. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Oh, this is definitely a "bad stuff" post.

I think Washington Gas is in the running with Comcast for Worst Corporation in the U.S.  I've been on hold with their CSR line for over 2 hours today, closing in on 3.  There are reports online of FIVE-hour waits or more.  But I'm trying to stop my service, since I'm moving somewhere where I no longer need my own account.  And since I can't do that through the website, due to some meter problem it claims I have, I have no choice but to sit on hold.

These sorts of things have apparently been going on since before the pandemic, too.  I know a few of you are in the general area; any tips on how to get them to actually do their fucking jobs?  Call a TV reporter, BBB, Chamber of Commerce, anything?

Damn, can't help you, man.  I'm a customer of theirs, too, but this house is the first one I've ever lived in where I've needed their service, so I've never had to disconnect.  A quick check of gethuman.com says current wait time is 43 minutes, which is fucking unconscionable.

Comcast always gets a bad rap but god damn, I spent some time on the phone with an actual tech support guy in the actual US of A last week and that dude was fucking solid.  He told me exactly what the incredibly obscure problem with my caller ID was.  Unfortunately, I need to call every other carrier now to sort it out, but that's another story.

8 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I feel your pain there.  Went through exactly that last fall in Kinder.  It's a half hour drive to my son's school.  That was a fun drive over. 

UUUUGH.  Lucky me, school is only a 10 minute walk away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turned into almost *four and a half hours* of wait time.  So much for going to work yesterday (not that I needed to).

The real PITA of it was once I spoke to someone, she had such a nice old-lady voice I couldn't even be mean to her.  Hell, when she said, "Sorry for any inconvenience the delay may have caused," I said, "No problem."  NO PROBLEM!  Yes it was a fucking problem, what is wrong with meaghghdkdgndhghgdhg.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, Contentious C said:

The real PITA of it was once I spoke to someone, she had such a nice old-lady voice I couldn't even be mean to her.  Hell, when she said, "Sorry for any inconvenience the delay may have caused," I said, "No problem."  NO PROBLEM!  Yes it was a fucking problem, what is wrong with meaghghdkdgndhghgdhg.

I know what you mean. I spent so many years doing customer service, that it's pretty much impossible for me to be angry or rude to someone.  Luckily, my other half is from an off-the-boat Italian family and has her father's Tony Soprano temper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So my In laws are getting rid of all their old VHS tapes.  Instead of just throwing them in the trash, my father in law is cutting them up.  I could maybe see the point if these were personal/family tapes or something, but they're just old movies they taped off of TV.  So he's spending hours a day, every day, out in his garage cutting copies of Ben Hur taped off of cable into tiny little pieces.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2021 at 10:29 AM, Curt McGirt said:

"You need a shredder."

"Dumbass, the tape would break the shredder! No, the FBI wont get me for this one. I learned my lesson about them back in '82."

I think his problem is that if my father in law ever watched the Colonel Bat Guano scene in Dr. Strangelove (which I'm sure he hasn't, since he's entirely without a sense of humor), he wouldn't get the "You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola Company" joke.  He'd think the colonel made a perfectly sensible point.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So, we US government workers have to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination before the first of the year.

My nerd buddy in Networking brought his COVID-19 vaccination card to work in one of these

71KTD1VvuwL._AC_SL1324_.jpg

I must buy one from Amazon.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 3:36 PM, odessasteps said:

We had to photocopy our vax cards to send to our office. 

So did we.  The O-6 that runs our shop has decided that boosters are mandatory for everyone in the organization.  It is his right to make the decisions for his civvies and frankly, I think he just wants an excuse to fire the anti-vaxxers.

So, the next door neighbor renting the house next door is moving out sometime in May because she is getting married.  I am very happy for her.  I am also happy that this will give me the opportunity to maybe purchase the house next door since my family once owned the land.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

In yet another reason why I need a calendar and sticky notes around me at all times:

After a weekend of drinking and football watching I get up normal work time, rush through breakfast and clock in as quickly as I can.  Only to find out it's MLK day and we're supposed to be off.  Of course that part I forgot about until after texting my boss and wondering why nobody else is on the phones.  15 minutes later I saw what today is and meekly texted her saying "Whoops, clocking out now."

I swear if I'm like this at 39 then I'm a tad worried about how I'll be decades later.  But I guess I'll finally get around to taking the Christmas stuff down while watching some rasslin' in the background.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a Calendar, of Frank Frazetta Art. Butit has no holes for hanging it up with, and the public holidays it lists aren't the British ones (it has mostly American ones, but also Canada day and German reunification day and stuff). And it randomly runs from Jan 2022 to June 2023. Like, why?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day. Such evil. Thinking of the murdered and the survivors. I recommend the documentary Night Will Fall (2014) but it's horrific viewing. Cold chill just thinking about it. Channel 4 aired Night Will Fall on Holocaust Memorial Day without ad breaks, only time I can remember the channel doing that.

Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Lesson I learned today - if you heat up a can of black beans, then put it in a thermos for your kid and then it gets misplaced and left in the heat for a week, when you open it the top will be come quite an impressive projectile.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 11:50 AM, Robert C said:

Lesson I learned today - if you heat up a can of black beans, then put it in a thermos for your kid and then it gets misplaced and left in the heat for a week, when you open it the top will be come quite an impressive projectile.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope nobody was hurt and no property was damaged, but that would have pretty damn funny to see I imagine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope nobody was hurt and no property was damaged, but that would have pretty damn funny to see I imagine.

Scared the living shit out of me when it happened.  Went by my face so fast I didn't even see it, but I damn sure felt it.  Took me a couple seconds to recover, and then I started laughing my ass off.  Left a dent in the ceiling and everything.  Thankfully the whole kitchen didn't wind up covered in beans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow I managed to, without noticing, drop a ketchup packet on the floor, and step on that ketchup packet with my shoes on. I heard and felt it pop under my foot and I'm like "aw man" as I look down to see how much cleanup this is going to entail. The packet is empty, but there's only a tiny bit of ketchup on it, and none on the carpet around it. From the pop it sounded full, but maybe I got lucky and it was an empty packet?

Nope.

I find a red spot about 3 inches wide nearly four feet up a wall on the opposite side of the room. Not only had the ketchup flown 15 feet across the room, it had arced OVER the computer monitors on my desk (which had no ketchup at all on it)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

After nearly eight years I decided to part ways with my job, but I made sure I had a new job lined up before hand. A few weeks ago I filled out an app for a company that is adjacent to the one I was working for. Amazingly two days later I got a call back to schedule a phone interview. That went well and then I got a call to schedule a physical and drug screen. Those both came off well, but I kept getting calls from an outside company trying to verify my past work history. They said they couldn't reach the previous employers(even though all are still in business) with the contact information I had provided. The next time I heard from my perspective employer I mentioned this to them and they said "Oh we get that a lot!"
So I finished up with my last employer this past Monday when I got home and reached out to the other company via email. Ten minutes later they called me asking if I could be in Cleveland this past Thursday. I told them I could and they said "COOL!" 
The very next call I made was to my then current job. The main boss was gone and my boss was busy unloading a truck so they gave me to the boss' uncle(who is the de facto dispatcher) and I got to break the news to him. It wasn't about money. It was about benefits and having weekends off. When he asked if there were any underlying issues I told him I was being diplomatic and that it was just time to move on.
Did orientation on Thurs and Fri, aced my road test, drove 250 miles back home to await beginning with them on Monday.
All is good.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, driver said:

After nearly eight years I decided to part ways with my job, but I made sure I had a new job lined up before hand. A few weeks ago I filled out an app for a company that is adjacent to the one I was working for. Amazingly two days later I got a call back to schedule a phone interview. That went well and then I got a call to schedule a physical and drug screen. Those both came off well, but I kept getting calls from an outside company trying to verify my past work history. They said they couldn't reach the previous employers(even though all are still in business) with the contact information I had provided. The next time I heard from my perspective employer I mentioned this to them and they said "Oh we get that a lot!"
So I finished up with my last employer this past Monday when I got home and reached out to the other company via email. Ten minutes later they called me asking if I could be in Cleveland this past Thursday. I told them I could and they said "COOL!" 
The very next call I made was to my then current job. The main boss was gone and my boss was busy unloading a truck so they gave me to the boss' uncle(who is the de facto dispatcher) and I got to break the news to him. It wasn't about money. It was about benefits and having weekends off. When he asked if there were any underlying issues I told him I was being diplomatic and that it was just time to move on.
Did orientation on Thurs and Fri, aced my road test, drove 250 miles back home to await beginning with them on Monday.
All is good.

Congrats!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...