DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

It was the What's Going On? but whatever.  I routinely get close to 200 words just because I type fast and think of a lot of words, go with the "throw lots at the wall and see what sticks" method.  But did you mean 89 or 90?  89 wasn't too bad.  90, on the other hand, spat out my personal best of 4! "rare" words within the top 1000!

Spoiler

walkman, ringtone, dialtone, beatbox

I meant 89. Halfway through I found the word that was two words away from the target, but it still took me forever to get.

Spoiler

That word was "inclusiveness", and it was close enough that I was wracking my brain for synonyms, which the target wasn't. Also, "equity" ranked lower than "inclusiveness", which probably threw me. In retrospect, "equity" was probably affected by its financial meaning.

90 took me a while too, but not as long. On that one:

Spoiler

Early on when I was throwing out random words, I tried to enter "strain", typoed, and entered "starin" - and was surprised to get a moderately high number. This led me to try other present participles with the "g" omitted, and they consistently scored higher than the non-colloquial spelling of the same word. This was in no way helpful in finding the target word, and now that I know it I still have no idea why this would be the case.

#89 took me 153 guesses, which is pretty good for me. #90 took me 341 guesses.

Spoiler

For #90, I got sidetracked by clothes. There are a ton of them in the top 1000, some even in the top 100, enough to make me think I was on the right track, but none of them (as far as I could see) are right up at the top. I understand the similarity with the actual word, but imo there is no excuse for other clothes-related words like "spandex", "inseam", "suede", "drawstring" being in the top 1000. No excuse! *shakes fist*

First week of new job done. Even though I'd had previous experience running into Chicago(twice a week from '04-'13), this was different as we were all over the city and its suburbs. The highlights was finding out exactly what Go Puffs is and going underground at Union Station. The lowlights were damn near 60 hours for the week and the traffic. Oh, the traffic.

• Like 1

Back to my old job tomorrow. They were good enough to take me back but asked that I be less boisterous and tone down the vulgarity. I've got a mouth that would make a sailor blush.

Between going to Chicago every day, the amount of stuff on the truck, my age(very early 50s) and dealing with cigarettes(from some reason they are a popular target for theft) I decided to call it a day and leave after a week. The guy I was riding with was understanding and agreed that it's not for everybody.

quit my job yesterday. i work for a very small company (~10 people), have been there about a year and a half. for about the last year, one of those people has been insufferable to be around. short tempered, yells at people, treats everyone like they are beneath her, etc. She completely refuses to speak to me, at all. I certainly got the worst of it, but it affected everybody in the building. i had stayed so long because of confidence in the ownership of the company, and the belief that things would change. Finally got tired of the childishness and the bullshit. I 100% quit, but offered to stay through the end of the month (partly to give me time to line up a replacement job, partly to not screw over this small company that i play a not small part of). the day ended with complete uncertainty of what lay ahead.

came in today. offending coworker was fired this morning. she had been there since the company started. Ownership told me that they understood if i still wanted to leave, but that if i changed my mind, i can basically name my price.

this has been a weird week.

• Like 7

as I typed a few hours ago on the wrestling forum, I was watching Guerrero/Malenko from ECW Hardcore TV (the final match) when a tree across the street within view from the front door fell over due to lightning, onto a car and wires, blipping the power and taking out the cable/internet.

It was apparently enough of a deal that the "Community Awareness" FB Group had a post about it

So i'll have to check the weather before going back to that ECW episode.

It was a little more dramatic than the time somebody drove their car into a pole and knocked the power out for the neighborhood.

From what I hear, everybody in the house next to the tree is fine (the tree fell towards the street) and dudes were chainsawing the tree this afternoon.

I posted awhile back that my car got wrecked and that our other car got recalled.  As of yesterday, everything is basically resolved.  Buckle in, it's a long story but (mostly) positive.

Did a bunch of looking at used car places and finally stopped in at a small place recommended to me by my lawn guy.  I probably wouldn't have stopped there normally since it was small but I did.  They were SUPER nice.  And they had a car that would work for us, a Subaru Forester.  And at a good price.  They were willing to do all the stuff we wanted in terms of detailing and fixes (the backup camera somehow stopped working after our first test drive?!?), installing a remote start and giving a second key for the car - easily $500+ worth of stuff.  We agreed to buy the car once all the various things were done.  They also gave us waaaay more than I expected in trade for my wife's car (the recalled Kia).  To give you an idea of how crazy the used market is, that Kia later sold to someone for more than we paid for it - three years ago.

A day or so later, they called and said they wanted the Kia trade-in right away.  They had a buyer for it.  We said, well, that's fine but we need a car since our Subaru isn't ready.  No problem!  Send your wife down here, we'll give her something nice.  I said, are you OK with me taking the town out of town and putting a few hundred miles on it this weekend?  Sure, no problem!  So my wife went down, gave them her Kia and they gave her a gorgeous 2021 Honda HR-V to drive.  I hated that car despite it driving great - not enough head room so my head was brushing the roof the whole time I was driving.  Kinda annoying.  Get back from the trip and the Subaru isn't ready, so we drive the Honda a few more days.  Then they call and say they need the car back, it's been sold, we'll give you something else.  This time, it's a 2022 Nissan Kicks, another awesome car.  Would've bought that car if it was AWD but alas, it was not.  The very next day, the Subaru is ready and they DELIVER IT TO MY HOME.  Yay!  One car done!

And so I start searching for a second car.  Found one I really liked at another dealer (a Nissan Rogue) and we get into negotiations.  I tell them I want to give the first dealer another shot at selling me a car since they were so nice so I'll have to wait on purchasing the Rogue.  I contact dealer #1 and ask what else they've got.  After some back & forth, they suggest a Ford Edge.  I tell the owner, "if you can get me that car, OUT THE DOOR, with a warranty like we got on the Subaru, for $XXXXX, we'll buy it."  He says they can do that.  My wife goes to test drive it and LOVES the car.  I tell the owner we'll be in to buy it.  He says because we're a repeat customer, he'll give us their referral bonus as well - $500.  Cool, wasn't expecting that!

We say we want to buy the car.  They say, "oops, we sold it to someone in Canada".  My wife says no way, undo the deal, sell it to us!  And the owner says they will, irritating the rest of his staff.

And then we go to buy the car.

Owner guy isn't there, no problem.  We're signing all the paperwork and it's all going smoothly until I see the paperwork for the warranty.  It's far less than agreed-to.  I raise the issue and the person we're working with basically says we'll need to pay the difference (about $1000).  I say no way, I want what we agreed to.  She's basically refusing but I get ahold of the owner who doesn't remember the conversation the same way I do but trusts I'm telling the truth and agrees to upgrade our warranty for free.  Sales manager and financial person start laying on the nonsense about how they're losing money on the deal and blah blah blah.  And they're kind of implying that we're lying about stuff, etc.  

We get all the paperwork signed and I go outside to the car.  My wife notices there's no front floor mats and goes back in to ask about that.  We thought it came with them.  She asks financial lady about it and gets a really nasty "We've already given you too much!  You are NOT getting anything else from us on this deal!" This upsets my wife greatly as she's been nothing but gracious during all the awkward conversations and even commiserated with her being in an awkward spot with the owner not there and being asked to do stuff she normally wouldn't.

Wife comes back out with no mats and we now need to tape the temp license thing in the window.  No tape.  Wife goes back in and asks lady for tape.  She gets a nasty "I TOLD CHRIS WHERE THE TAPE WAS!" (she didn't).  Now my wife is mad.  She gets the tape and we are on our way.

We stop at a place for dinner.  I get a text from the owner telling me we'd hit the lottery, that we'd gotten a bunch of free stuff, and to send referrals.  After the rude and uncomfortable treatment we'd gotten from his staff, this set me off.  I stewed for a good 20 minutes trying to decide how to respond.  I finally said something like "sorry if it seemed we were ungrateful or trying to take advantage, blah blah blah".  A short bit later, I got a video message from the owner thanking me for my business, assuring me everything was good and so on.  That was last Friday.

Mother's Day arrives and my wife is excited to show off her new car (she got the Edge, I got the Subaru) to my mom.  Wife's mom and brother live with us and were going to meet my mom & me at the restaurant.  They go out to the garage and the car won't start.  Possibly an issue with the key fob.  Kind of embarrassing.  After lunch, I get the key fob battery replaced, car still won't start.  I text the owner and tell him what's going on.  He says it sounds like a problem with the battery.  Then he says "I live right by you - I'll come jump it."  Uh...OK?  20 minutes later, he shows up at my house with a brand-new battery and spends the next 20 minutes or so in my garage installing the battery.  He was a mechanic in the Marines.  Incredible!  The car fires right up and we're all good!

Until the next morning.  Wife comes home from work and says look at the wheel well.  There's a piece of rubber just flapping around.  Looks like just trim but now I'm starting to wonder about the supposedly-great inspection they'd done on the car.  I text the owner and he says he'll come get it and do a full new inspection on the car personally.  2 days of that, which apparently included replacing the rotors on the car, and it's finally done.  The owner brought the car to my house listened as my wife let him know how poorly she'd been treated by financial lady.  He apologized profusely and it seemed very genuine.

And so now we're done.  Two cars purchased.  Got tremendous deals on both cars, absolutely cannot complain about that in any way.  The owner was fabulous every step of the way other than not communicating stuff to his staff.  Staff could've been nicer when things got awkward but, overall, we're very pleased.  We both got big-time upgrades on our cars and should be set for quite awhile.

Finally, big thanks to the dude who wrecked my car - I can't imagine I'd have gotten in trade what I got from your insurance for it.  Thanks man!

• Like 5

An update on the car thing:

When I bought the first car, I told my lawn guy he was owed a referral payment. He was super grateful and tried to give me half. I refused but appreciated it. I was only about 50% sure he'd actually get it. 

Fast forward to today. Get a call from my lawn guy. He'd just come from the dealer where they'd given him a check for $1000 - a referral bonus for both cars we'd bought. He was calling to tell me he'd gotten more than expected and wanted to give me some of it. I again refused. This spring was rough on his business so I knew it would really help him out. I'm thrilled for him that he actually got the money and even moreso that they gave him the referral for both cars. 

So even more of a happy ending to the car story. Couple bumps with the second purchase but overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone. But my lawn better look super sharp for awhile, LOL. 

• Like 5

Weird election in Australia overnight.

Both major parties recorded lowest primary polls ever (for the third election running).

First time in the nation's history our crossbench has recorded double figures (150 seats total).

Huge amount of economic conservative, climate change independent female candidates have won inner city seats in Sydney and Melbourne that are either always been held by the right wing party of the country, or ousting senior members of cabinet and it wasn't even close. Meanwhile, Greens party won multiple seats for the first time, largely in really far-right agricultural/rural areas of Brisbane.

Remains to be seen whether the Labor party govern in their outright or form a minority government with the "teal" independents or the Greens.

Was not expecting this.

• Like 1

Tomorrow will hopefully not be interesting.  One of my employees got himself fired earlier this week (not by me, though I wouldn't have minded being able to do it personally) and posted a threat on social media.  Apparently he's claimed he's going to come in and shoot up the place (edit; tweet has since been deleted).  

General feeling is that it's an idiot mouthing off on social media and not a serious threat.  Still, police and have been alerted and are looking for the guy and the company is assigning extra security to the office tomorrow.  Since I'm in charge, I'm going to be the first one in the office and last one out.  I told everyone to work from home tomorrow if they're at all uncomfortable.

edit: dude was arrested this morning.  No excitement tomorrow. 

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Sad 5

I roadtripped from Missouri to Ohio and back over the weekend (leaving on Thursday and returning on Sunday). The Air Force Museum was pretty neat and really extensive. Indiana gave Missouri a run for it's money in billboard saturation. I don't know if Illinois has actual laws on billboards but their relative lack of billboards sticks out next to Missouri and Indiana.

There was a detour around downtown Indianapolis which was annoying at 4pm Eastern on a weekday.

There were a lot of dead deer on the sides of the interstate, especially in Indiana where I-70 is surrounded by forest, even with the woods in the middle of a split highway.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:21 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

General feeling is that it's an idiot mouthing off on social media and not a serious threat. 

That's always the general feeling - until the idiot mouthing off goes through with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

That's always the general feeling - until the idiot mouthing off goes through with it. 

Very true.  People are shit, unfortunately.  We took the threat(s) seriously.  Police took the threats seriously.  I think, if the guy hadn't been apprehended, we would all have worked from home yesterday. but, if we had gone to the office, there would have been a lottttt of security.

In this case, the guy really was just an idiot mouthing off.  Apparently, he could prove that he had planned to be out of state yesterday.  Police said they found no evidence he owned a weapon or was putting together any sort of toolkit.  No criminal record.  He supposedly told the cops he didn't remember making the threats (so... drunk or high?) and probably just wanted to scare people.  

We got the day off yesterday anyway.  Management decided we could use the day to decompress.

I gotta admit, I'm relieved it never got to the point where I had to seriously consider going to work "packing heat".  I've owned a handgun or two since I was in my early 20's and have a chl (concealed handgun license), but I've never had any need for either outside periodic trips to the practice range.  I'd much prefer to keep it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Moved into new house on Friday. 

Way too much shit to be done.

- hot tub was never fenced to council code so we've got 2.5 weeks to either buy pool fencing or get a crane to get it out.

- they've taken down a lot of the downpipes from the roof and never replaced them. No idea why. It's rained plenty so garage is likely to flood.

- dishwasher broken and needs replacing.

- daughters room has a cracked window and mould on the blinds. Neither were there at final inspection. 

- shed door doesn't unlock properly.

- glass shower door seems to need to be replaced. Seems like they DIY'd the renovation and did it awfully.

That's a nice dent in the budget we assigned ourselves to improve the house - converting to solar, upgrade the laundry. 

After the year I've had, I think I'm just going to rip the bandaid off and try and tick them all off this week. Moving house takes years off your life.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Had a tree fall on my truck and house last night.  My day is gonna involve a lot more chainsaw use than I was anticipating when I went to bed last night. 

LOL how much chainsaw use do you typically earmark? 

In all seriousness, good luck with that, man.

34 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL how much chainsaw use do you typically earmark? 

In all seriousness, good luck with that, man.

Depends on how thick the zombies and/or demons are on the ground.

Damage isn't horrible.  Ripped a gutter off the house, but we were gonna replace the roof and gutters this year anyway.  Truck's drivable, which is good since I need it for a trip in two weeks.  It's gonna need a new hood and right front fender/body panel.  Maybe a new front bumper shell, left front fender, and paintjob.  Damage seems to be contained to the front third, so it's manageable.  

• Like 3