DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Not to derail the Walmart conversation, but I was doing something on the genre of match that is the tag team, all over the arena brawl. They can be terrible if it's just walking around the arena in a headlock, but when violent and crazy enough they really are my favorite type of match.

There were a ton in ECW, the concession stand brawls in Memphis, The Nasty Boys matches in WCW (the two with Cactus, and one with Harlem Heat from Uncensored 95), The Shield/Evolution matches and the TLC against Team Hell No and Ryback, and there was even a decent Dudley Boys/Outsiders match at Lockdown 2010.

This probably warrants its own thread, but what are some other stand outs?

Tenzan/Chono/Hiro Saito vs Hashimoto/Choshu/Hirata at Korakuen back in 1995. Tenzan gets the shock pin on Choshu (this was right at the start of his monster push) and Hashimoto/Hirata go apeshit, throwing him into the crowd and literally beating him halfway up the bleachers. Just an awesome visual to cap off one of my favorite hours of wrestling TV ever.

$%$%$%$%$%$% NEW JAPAN TV 3-4-95 ("2/12 KORAKUEN HALL DOCUMENT")

(POGO PETE STEIN)

This is the TV show I glossed over for DVDVR 100, and which I can now give a more deserving review to since Steve Pillmaier returned the tape to me. Not the greatest show they've ever done in terms of pure wrestling, but perhaps their most outrageous show ever in terms of booking and storylines. Just for reference this is the TV that was shot all in one day at two seperate Korakuen Hall shows.

PART THE 1ST: HEISEI ISHINGUN AFTERNOON SHOW

Shiro Koshinaka has THE STICK! and uses it to call out some kid named Hiroyoshi Tenzan, back from Europe after ripping up the beefers in Catch. Koshinaka I guess wants to recruit Tenzan into HI, but Tenzan gives him the Mongolian chop and proceeds to take out Ohara for good measure. Hey, Pee-Wee Moore is the ref and he looks just as confused in Japan as he used to do in ECW! Ohara says "The NOIVE of dis character!" and picks up Tenzan's punk card for a match.

MICHIYOSHI "SLUGGO" OHARA vs. HIROYOSHI TENZAN: Ohara jumps Tenzan the second he hits the ring, but Tenzan decides that he ain't gonna sell for someone that looks even goofier than he does at this stage in his career. Ohara gets some scattered offense but this is essentially a squash for Tenzan, who eventually hits a Mountain Bomb and follows with a sidebuster for the pin at 7:53. Tenzan continues to work over Sluggo postmatch, which results in Koshinaka, Goto and Kabuki to run in and it's a 4-1 on Tenzan. This in turn leads to Masa Saito, Hirata and Yatsu heading out to even the sides, and just like that we've got our first-half main event.

2/3 FALLS- SHIRO KOSHINAKA/THE GREAT KABUKI/TATSUTOSHI GOTO vs. MASA SAITO/ YOSHIAKI YATSU/JUNJI HIRATA: Much love shown to us by Asahi TV for clipping the match. Hirata takes the first fall with the Machine Suplex on Goto at 8:53. Goto evens things up with a backdrop on Yatsu for the pin at 5:30, and Team HI wins the match after Akitoshi Saito interferes behind the ref's back, kicking Hirata off the ropes to the floor where Kabuki and Goto give him a spike piledriver. He gets rolled back in and Koshinaka promptly gives him the Gentle Bomb for the decisive pin at 4:54. Masa shows his disgust for HI's actions by BODYSLAMMING all 7 of them in a row! BULLATHAWOODSEEFYAWEEL! HI recovers from this goofiness and destroys Masa 7-1 until the save is made by Tenzan... and CHONO?!?! Tenzan further muddies the waters by going after Masa because he's a nice kid and all but really confused, and Chono offers to become the father figure he really needs. "HOI! JOIN ME MY SON AND WE SHALL RULE THE WORLD!"

Intermission! Tenzan and Chono yell cool-sounding shit at each other backstage! Koshinaka calls out Choshu over THE STICK! Choshu arrives and heads upstairs! The young NJ ref wanders by wearing one of them there new-fangled ECW shirts! Koshinaka and Choshu yell cool-sounding shit at each other backstage! Chairs are thrown! Otani and Yasuda hold both sides back single-handedly!

PART THE 2ND: NEW JAPAN EVENING SHOW

RIKI CHOSHU/SHINYA HASHIMOTO/JUNJI HIRATA vs. MASAHIRO CHONO/ HIROYOSHI TENZAN/ HIRO SAITO: Choshu immediately goes after Tenzan on the floor, posting him and clotheslining him right into the crowd since he's the mook who started this whole mess. It's great as Choshu is absolutely beating the shit out of him, never letting up even while he steps into the ring and Hashimoto passes Tenzan to him. Hash tags in and gets to lay in some kicks and a DDT, then Hirata uses his round to work over Tenzan. Choshu tags in and hits a pair of Riki Lariatos, but Chono sneaks in from behind and hits a kenka kick. Chono goes nuts on Choshu with kicks, which allows Tenzan to make his own comeback with Mongolian Chops. Everyone else starts brawling on the floor, which allows Hiro to sneak in and help Tenzan hit a spike piledriver on Choshu. Hiro slams Choshu, Tenzan heads up top and hits a diving headbutt on Choshu for the MEGA-UPSET pin at 5:35 without even getting tagged out! Tenzan celebrates like he just won the lottery, but it's short-lived as a livid Hash blindsides him with kicks and sends him into the crowd. Before long Hash and Hirata are halfway up the fucking BLEACHERS destroying Tenzan, but that allows Chono and Hiro to give Choshu a double-teaming of their own. Choshu soon revives and chairs Chono while Hash and Hirata resume their merry demolition of Tenzan back in the ring, but Chono steals the chair and gives Choshu a shot of his own while Murder Inc. affiliate Sabu hits the ring. Chono hands him a table, but rather than using it himself he instead lays Hash on top of it and allows Tenzan to put Hash through the table with a senton off the top. Sabu then proceeds to use what's left of the table on Hash until Hirata finally makes the save with a chair and drives the lot of them to the back. The crowd is going absolutely berzerk throughout the whole thing... the whole thing is that insanely hot.

Epilogue! Choshu yells cool-sounding shit! He throws chairs at Hash and Hirata, who leave wearing "Hoo boy, he's having one of *these* again..." looks and light out in search of Chono's locker-room! They find it! Schmozz ensues! Yasuda wanders around confused! Sabu mugs for the camera! Everyone yells cool-sounding shit at each other! Hash and Hase swear revenge! The End.

Overall a really cool show, like a more wrestling-intensive Raw with the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT sacrificed for straight rassling angles and Godzilla-level heat and hatred. Choshu is just super in this the whole way...

Ah, the endless BULL OF THE WOODS jokes that ensued after Saito bodyslammed everyone in Heisei Ishingun.

• Like 1

My memory of the event might be off because they had so many awesome matches, but the Jimmy Jacobs/BJ Whitmer brawl through the crowd at the ROH Fifth Year Festival show in England was pretty great. I thought it was one of their better efforts, and I am a big fan of that whole series. 

From a kayfabe pov, theres the larry sweeney/kingston match thst stsrted in one building and then "they brawled" all the way to the next one.

He was asking about tag matches, but if we're talking about one on one brawls, of course the FIP brawl between CM Punk and Homicide that ended up in a strip club has to be mentioned.

If Cameron, who is somehow worse at everything than Emma, still has a job after getting pulled over drunk and trying to bribe a cop, I think Emma is probably safe.

You would think that.

And you'd be wrong.

"WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Diva Emma as of today, July 2, 2014. WWE wishes Emma the best in all her future endeavors."

Astounding. DUIs which can kill people and bribing police are OK but being too stupid to use self check out is worthy of firing. Wilde was right there's no sin except stupidity.

She'll be in TNA by fall and really need to steal from Walmart.

Damn.  That seems harsh.  Since when is a mugshot not just like a diploma for professional wrestlers?

I can't remember who first compared her to Dancing Homer...but the circle is complete.  Does anyone remember the last time someone debuted with so much love from the internet...and was Future Endeavored this quickly?

I mean, Swagger got busted and fucked up a potential WM co-main event...and he's still around.