DVDVR Message Board

FOOD glorious FOOD

ultimoDANK

Fortunately, Seattle had Taco Time and New Mexico has Del Taco; so Taco Hell is never a consideration. If I'm THAT hungry at 2AM, I'll go to Wal-Mart and get some crabcakes or something.

I feel like a lose a little bit of my soul every time I step into a WalMart.

We got a Del Taco in South Alabama. I am not a Taco Bell guy (only really ever ordered there once), but I've grown to love me some "I don't feel like cooking" Del Taco. Flatbread Chicken Tacos are just win.

...and then I remember why I can get no positive gains on my diet.  The day I crack below 190 for the first time in like 18 months will be a glorious one.

Who the hell buys crab cakes at Walmart??

Those who don't want Taco Bell at 2 AM?

I'll occasionally indluge in some Taco Bell. You've got to experience mediocrity to fully appreciate excellence. The same reason that the wife and I will occasionally patronize Buffalo Wild Wings, so that we know how much better Quaker Steak is.

My facebook feed informs me that Lay's will be releasing four new potato chip flavors later this month, on sale until mid-October:

Wasabi Ginger

Mango Salsa

Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese

Cappuccino

First two sound like they'd be worth trying, third sounds like it's essentially already been done, fourth one sounds like a horrible mistake.

I've started fucking with vegan smoothies for pre&post gym food, and I just happened upon something fucking amazing.

1 cup spinach

1 cup vanilla almond milk

-blend-

1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries (or 1 cup regular strawberries, 1/2 cup crushed ice)

-blend-

1-2 tbsp almond butter

1 tbsp cinnamon

-blend-

(i also add 2 tbsp hemp protein powder at step 3, but you do not have to)

Now I'm no smoothie expert, but I kind of wanna know if the spinach flavor really gets into the mix (I'm assuming you're using leaf spinach and not, like, Green Giant creamed spinach).  That does sound pretty good, though I'd probably end up scrapping the almond products with Greek yogurt, and it certainly doesn't sound like some Julio Franco monstrosity that he'd drink to stay healthy (seriously, look some of that up... then again, he played big-league baseball until his late 40s so it must have done some good).  I'll play with this sometime.

I eat raw spinach leaves as a snack so I guess if you feel a strong disgust towards spinach, try a different plant. My experience was that I barely tasted it. Those three flavors (vanilla, strawberry, almond butter) specifically made for a flavor not unlike Neopolitan ice cream. That plus the cinnamon totally overrides the little metallic taste you'd normally get from spinach.

I will say the color is a little unnerving at first. Very swampy purple. But I'm not looking for aesthetic stuff in food.

Spinach leaves soak up flavor pretty well, hence why they get used in salads. If you don't have the protein powder in there, then I think the strawberries are gonna be the strongest taste. Spinach will be more noticeable as color than flavor. If you still taste the spinach and don't like it, you might replace it with kale.

One of my son's favourite snacks are these cheddar Goldfish things. I think they're a well known item, right? I'm not really a snack/junk food guy. Anyway, I took one out of his bowl recently, and holy shit, they taste good. Likely terrible for you, but good nonetheless.

I never lived with a crock pot until my girlfriend and I moved in together at the end of March. I can't live without one now - it's so easy to make a variety of stuff that tastes incredible. Today, I threw a couple of chicken breasts in olive oil along with various spices and seasonings, and let it sit for like four hours. I ended up with an insanely good pulled chicken that reminded me of an open-faced turkey sandwich you'd eat after Thanksgiving

One of my son's favourite snacks are these cheddar Goldfish things. I think they're a well known item, right? I'm not really a snack/junk food guy. Anyway, I took one out of his bowl recently, and holy shit, they taste good. Likely terrible for you, but good nonetheless.

As far as junk food goes, you could do worse. Lotta carbs and salt, of course, but not a ton of fat or sugar.

Anyone have any tips for good ways to clean a grill, or good cleaners? We've got small table top grill that hooks up to a small propane tank, since we don't need anything huge, but cleaning it is a real pain in the ass, and nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any tips for good ways to clean a grill, or good cleaners? We've got small table top grill that hooks up to a small propane tank, since we don't need anything huge, but cleaning it is a real pain in the ass, and nothing seems to work.

A nice grill brush is really all you need.  Turn the grill on for a couple minutes and everything that's on there should just brush away without problem.  And anything left is just flavor for your next meal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some deathwish coffee for my birthda - brewed a cup at  this morning, drank it by 9.

I'm still on the coffee high at half past 3 in the afernoon.

Such a shame my job is so sedentary.

Will not be able to do this every day...

Girlfriend bought maple bacon which is pretty bad. Salvaged it by cooking it and covering it with bittersweet chocolate. Made 3 giant pancakes to make a pancake cake. Layered it with the chocolate covered maple bacon and made a brown sugar maple syrup icing for it. Damn it tasted good. I don't think I would want to eat it again though. I use a ton of butter making pancakes. Kind of thing that will make a person fat quickly.