DVDVR Message Board

FOOD glorious FOOD

ultimoDANK

Do we no longer eat??!

The Rick Bayliss marinades are really excellent. Not sure if they are regional to Chicago but if you can find them they make great fajitas or carnitas.

I normally never would buy a jarred marinara sauce but this Rao's sauce is really high quality. It better be when you're paying $7 or $8 bucks for a jar. Not as good as making your own obviously but if you're feeling lazy it's a pretty good option. Also what kind of maniac would ever use a store bought Alfredo sauce? I can't even imagine.

On the eating out front I recently had the bone in filet at David Burke's Primehouse Chicago. Wow that was some steak. Then they were doing a pop up ice cream thing that night. Sweet corn ice cream was so tasty and different. I could see that being a Ben and Jerry's flavor at some point.

Another great dish I recently had was the old bay style crab bake at Joe's Crab Shack. The smell when I pulled back the foil was just incredible. That crab was one of the best single bites I can remember. Really took me back to my younger days on the east coast around the Chesapeake Bay.

Oh and for the love of god avoid Taco Bell breakfast at all costs.

Food highlights from Philly...

Nudy's cafe - gingerbread pancakes. oh. my. days. three dinner sized pancakes, couldnt finish them. They were absolutely beautiful though.

I tried lobster for the very first time. not overly enamoured with it - probably because it was from a local eaery rather than anything fancy...but it was okay.

I went to Geno's and had wiz onions and provolone. Not bad - next time I'm back I'll hit up Pat's.

And the one thing I wish was brought to the rest of the UK (not just London)...chipotle. A barbacoa burrito with white rice, pinto beans, sour cream, cheese and guac. pin me, pay me. Heavenly.

The hot new trend in cooking: eating dirt!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/food-trends/the-dish-on-dirt/article19315737/

excerpt:

Most people are taught to keep their food and dirt separate, but earthiness is a highly desirable tasting note. It’s perhaps inevitable that ambitious chefs like Cournoyer would attempt to distill the peaty, mossy, mineral flavours of the earth into an ingredient. Think of it as the ultimate expression of terroir.

When Cournoyer has the soil he needs, he takes it to his restaurant and boils it to 120 C in a pressure cooker to sanitize it. The soil particles are strained out, dried, placed into a sachet and sealed in a vacuum pack with butter. The pack is then cooked sous-vide for around four hours, until the butter is infused with earthy essence. Meanwhile, the soil’s boiling liquid is reduced into a “tea,” which is then whisked into the butter.

The final product looks like regular butter, but it’s slightly musty, with traces of cocoa. It’s evocative of the earth but not overpowering. Cournoyer uses it for the opening dish in his seven-course tasting menu. It’s served without cutlery, forcing hands-on interaction. The radishes and carrots stand upright with foliage attached, as if they’re growing out of the plate. The combination of soil-butter and root vegetables is rustic; the addition of wild grass (concocted into an oil and mixed with toasted breadcrumbs) adds a touch of grittiness. It’s like taking a nosedive into a farmer’s field. And yes, it actually tastes good.

Shout to the #1 Ice Cream Parlour in Londontown - http://www.chinchinlabs.com/They use the liquid nitrogen method for the smoothest texture. They did Tobacco flavour once.

I'm really digging cashew and almond butter, more expensive than peanut butter but it's nice to change up.

My friends and I are in love with a local restaurant called Nosh.  It's all sandwiches and burgers but they're pretty damn creative with their offerings.  We pretty much all order different things and then just try out a little of everything.

Also their fries are godly and come with Bacon dust.

Where are the pics of food?!

Also, I think I'm getting old you guys. I don't crave Taco Bell anymore. I don't know why, but I see commercials and no longer feel the urge to go get me some TB. I crave pizza, chocolate, cheesecake, cereal and loads of other food, but no more Taco Bell. I'm legit thinking of going to my doctor about it but I'm afraid he'll just punch me in the face.

• 2 weeks later...

Honey Butter Chicken in Chicago is pretty, pretttttttttttttttty good. They encourage you to put this butter on the chicken. That might be a bit much but the chicken and all the sides were excellent. Pimento mac n cheese. I'm gonna have to make a home version of that.

Honey Butter Chicken in Chicago is pretty, pretttttttttttttttty good. They encourage you to put this butter on the chicken. That might be a bit much but the chicken and all the sides were excellent. Pimento mac n cheese. I'm gonna have to make a home version of that.

Whataburger has a honey butter chicken biscuit for breakfast that's really damn good, and they even started selling the honey butter in grocery stores.

I'm a relatively recent Taco Bell patron so I guess I haven't had time to get sick of it yet, plus I don't go there THAT regularly.  I never went until several years ago when a friend wanted to go and asked if I wanted something for myself...thus I discovered the chicken quesadillas.  Other favorites are the cheesy potato burritos and the grilled stuffed nachos.  I'm fully capable of making soft tacos or even taco casserole at home, but Taco Bell and several other fast-food places are just a few minutes from home...so yeah.  :P

I always follow the same pattern with Taco Bell:

10 Eat Taco Bell

20 "Sweet Jesus, why did I do that to myself?  Never again!"

30 Wait 6 months.

40 "Huh, I haven't had Taco Bell in a while..."

GOTO 10 

• Like 3

So I brought home a Cinnabon from the mall tonight, first time in years I've had one. So the girl asks me if I want extra icing for some amount of money, I say no I'm good. I get this thing home and it has like no icing. Whats with the grift Cinnabon?

Fortunately, Seattle had Taco Time and New Mexico has Del Taco; so Taco Hell is never a consideration. If I'm THAT hungry at 2AM, I'll go to Wal-Mart and get some crabcakes or something.