DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: MAY

RIPPA

While it's not the same thing, a few years ago in the infancy of replay, Brian McCann hit a ball that was ruled a double but was actually a homer. They reviewed it as he stood on second base, waved him home, and a tepid walk off celebration ensued.

The Marte thing was absolutely bonkers. I wish he was ruled safe right away, because that would have resulted in a WILD celebration at the plate...which would have then been calmed down while Bochy challenged.

I know it's the Rays playing but you should really pay attention

iYQnC12y33XjF.gif

I'll take "reasons Tabe buys tickets directly behind home plate for $400, please, Alex"

Hey Craig, this article is for you. I remember us chatting about this happening four years ago.

MLB is getting team-specific podcasts pulled from iTunes, including another Cubs pod, Bleacher Nation.

Ugh, so so stupid. Bleacher Nation is a great podcast, and I'll keep listing to it via downloading it from its website (unless of course the podcast is simply gone altogether), but this is just a stupid, stupid move on MLBs part.

I applaud the move.  There are already enough people interested in this sport!  Why would they want more people or a higher level of dedication from their existing fans?  That leads to innovation and innovation leads to chaos.  It's all in Plato's Republic.

There will be two podcasts allowed.  One devoted to talking about Bob Gibson beaning people and one for talking about the right way to run fungo drills.

• Like 1

Matt Wieters is visiting Dr. James Andrews

Uh Oh...

No surgery required for Wieters.  No torn ligament found in the MRI. 

On behalf of every fantasy owner who picked him up dirt cheap because of his struggles last year: WHEW!

• Like 1

Here's another article about the itunes thing:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/major-league-baseball-has-declared-war-on-baseball-podcasts-apparently/

Overall I don't think this is a huge deal as aggregators of content like iTunes are largely an excuse for people to be lazy & not go get the podcasts themselves. We'll all live but still I agree with the points about MLB being so aggressive as to turn off some ardent fans.

Here's a direct link to a Braves podcast if anyone is interested: http://www.atlantabaseballtalk.com/

So in the 5th inning of their game against the Burlington Bees, the Clinton Lumberkings (Mariners A level farm team) were losing 17-1.

They scored 19 straight runs to win the game.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2014/5/8/5696340/clinton-lumberkings-stage-epic-17-1-comeback

Minor Leagues can be fun. For example, the shortest baseball game on record:

As recounted by Wynn Montgomery in the fall 2011 "Baseball Research Journal," it happened on the last day of the 1916 season, when the Winston-Salem Twins were visiting Asheville. Because the game meant nothing in the standings, and because the Twins wanted to catch an afternoon train, Corbett agreed to play it as quickly as possible. They even started a half-hour early, at 1:28, before the umpires and the soon-to-be furious owner got there.

Batters swung at the first pitch, pitchers didn't wait for their fielders, and base runners kept running until they were tagged. At one point, the Twins on-deck hitter picked up an errant throw and threw out his own runner attempting to take second. The game wasn't fixed, or else the Tourists wouldn't have had to bat in the bottom of the ninth. They lost 2-1.

The whole game took 31 minutes, and the Twins were able to catch the 2:30 train.

So in the 5th inning of their game against the Burlington Bees, the Clinton Lumberkings (Mariners A level farm team) were losing 17-1.

They scored 19 straight runs to win the game.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2014/5/8/5696340/clinton-lumberkings-stage-epic-17-1-comeback

Clinton used to be a farm club for the San Diego Padres.  When they were, a kid I coached in high school (who went on to pitch a dozen games in the majors) played there:

2002UD48.jpg

For all that I hate about living in Philly as a sports fan I can take comfort in the fact that I'm no more than 90 minutes away from four minor-league baseball teams. Thinking of taking in a Wilmington Blue Rocks game on my birthday, m'self.

I would have thought 90 minutes radius from Philly would be over a dozen.

Wilmington, lehigh Valley, reading, lancaster, trenton, newark, harrisburg, aberdeen, ...

I had season tickets to the blue rocks in late 90s. Good little park.

The park in Lancaster is nice too.

Lakewood Blue Claws are within 90 mins of Philly too. The team in Newark actually folded before this season. Which is a shame. Nice little ballpark, but no one ever went to the games and they kind of stopped taking care of it. 

Camden is close too, obviously. Though that would involve having to go to Camden. Ballpark has an awesome view though, with one of the supports for the Ben Franklin Bridge basically sitting in left field.

7167969825_591b6d23a6.jpg

7353179964_f3119d6d4a.jpg

I wasn't factoring in independent baseball. I'm a little iffy in it mainly because it costs the same to go to a game with unaffiliated teams as it does to go to Wilmington or Trenton and see potential MLB stars (or current stars in a rehab game).

I read articles on nj.com talking about the Newark Bears closing up shop, and beyond the usual "LOLZ NEWARK IS DANGEROUS" comments there are plenty of valid reasons brought up for that; the controversy over the Mets refusing to let the Yankees put their Triple-A affiliate in Newark while their stadium in Wilkes-Barre was being renovated (which would have brought more attention and interest to the park even after the farm team left), the fact that one of the ownership groups which included successful baseball guys like the owner of the Somerset team couldn't make it happen and if he couldn't who could, transit issues... kind of a shame for Newark. I wonder if anyone bought the naming rights at the auction.

That said, I heard the park in Camden is nice.

I've been to a few independent games here since we have 2, 1 right across the river in Illinois and one out in St. Charles.  But you go because they have $1 hot dog night or something, you're not going for quality baseball being played.  The defense play in independent ball is very poor.

When I go on vacation to see my brother every year up in Portland Maine, we usually go to at least 1 Portland Sea Dogs game which is the AA affiliate of the Red Sox.  2 years went when the Bowie Baysox were in town and the Baysox had Manny Machado playing SS for them.

I loved going to Sea Dogs games when I lived in Maine; during my first year there in 2004, the Reading Phillies visited and I got to watch that young whippersnapper Ryan Howard smash the ball over the fence twice.