DVDVR Message Board

The Idiocy of Donald Sterling

Josh Mann

I think the other owners were probably fine with the Clippers being a loser franchise that made money and wasn't a threat to compete. 

Yeah I definitely think that Sterling's being a piece of shit of a human being would've been an issue a lot sooner if not for the fact that he was also an incompetent joke of an owner for literal decades...

Now that they've wacked Sterling, I can only hope the next question that's asked is, "Hey, who turned a blind eye to this POS all these years?"

Or is the obliteration of David "dynasties good, parity bad" Stern's legacy too much to ask for?

Like if players threatened to boycott the HOF if he's ever elected, I think I'd throw a party to celebrate.

I'm pretty sure Sterns entering this year

Being a cheap bastard who had his players practically using sawdust for soap gave Sterling cover.  Who keeps up with a bad team, other than for easy laughs? The Clippers were awful, so poorly run by Sterling and Baylor, it didn't matter to Stern what the jerk did.  Sterling didn't register on anyone's radar. But pendulums swing sooner or later, and the Clippers were due to be good. 

Sterling had been ill a few years ago.  Stern and the other owners probably thought he'd be dead by now.  And really, few owners have room to condemn Sterling when they're just as screwed up.

A couple thoughts:

1) First, I don't have a problem with the punishment being handed down

2) There's something messed up about the NBA possibly forcing a sale of the Clippers, which will undoubted generate multiple interested parties, resulting in a bidding war that benefits....Donald Sterling.

3) When can I expect to start seeing lifetime bans for the racist stuff players say to each other all the time?  Or the racist jokes Shaq made about Yao Ming?

4) I would love to hear somebody ask Silver "Why did the NBA do nothing with Donald Sterling when he was paying fines and settlements for racial discrimination in housing?"

From the press conference on your fourth question:

Q. The word you used specifically was outrage. You said that you were personally outraged, yet many people believe that they are outraged that for years people have known that this man is a racist slumlord and the NBA hasn't done anything until today. Can you please answer why.

ADAM SILVER: I can't speak to past actions other than to say that when specific evidence was brought to the NBA, we acted.

Also this:

Q. Just to be clear, you said when specific evidence was brought to the league you did act. In past cases, has Donald Sterling ever been fined or suspended for racial or offensive remarks, and if not, why not?

ADAM SILVER: He's never been suspended or fined by the league because while there have been well documented rumors and cases filed, he was sued and the plaintiff lost the lawsuit. That was Elgin Baylor. There was a case brought by the Department of Justice in which ultimately Donald Sterling settled and there was no finding of guilt, and those are the only cases that have been brought to our attention. When those two litigations were brought, they were followed closely by the league office.

ADAM-SILVER.jpg

"As your Commishioner, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just in the media. The price you pay for bringing up anyone's heritage as a negative is... I collect your fucking head. Just like this fucker here. Now, if any of you sons of bitches got anything else to say, now's the fucking time! "

"I didn't think so."

• Like 5

Also this:

Q. Just to be clear, you said when specific evidence was brought to the league you did act. In past cases, has Donald Sterling ever been fined or suspended for racial or offensive remarks, and if not, why not?

ADAM SILVER: He's never been suspended or fined by the league because while there have been well documented rumors and cases filed, he was sued and the plaintiff lost the lawsuit. That was Elgin Baylor. There was a case brought by the Department of Justice in which ultimately Donald Sterling settled and there was no finding of guilt, and those are the only cases that have been brought to our attention. When those two litigations were brought, they were followed closely by the league office.

That's pretty glaringly inconsistent, unless there was absolutely zero credible evidence in those two lawsuits.

• Like 1

The NBA didn't do anything earlier because the players didn't demand it.

This.  Steve Novak was talking on the radio today and said when he was with the Clippers everyone knew what Sterling was like anyone that says otherwise is bullshitting.  Now is it the players that demanded it or did the media pressure make these guys demand so they didnt look like they were only there for the money.  You just have to raise your eyebrow when you realize that Donald Stern basically handed Chris Paul to the Clippers.  It was a fair deal but still he did the Clips a solid on that one.  

• Like 1

I want Sterling to sneak into the building disguised in drag and attack Steph Curry with his high heel behind the refs back like Corny did in Mid South.

Also this:

Without this level of public scrutiny and audio evidence, I'm sure the NBA executives couldn't have done a penalty to this magnitude against Sterling in the past.  However,I definitely don't buy that they could not have done more to look into Sterling's practices.  The NBA is not a court of law.  Just because you lose the legal case (or should I say "settled for an undisclosed amount") does not mean the NBA cannot do their own investigations and penalties.  He says "followed closely by the league" but I don't know what that means.  It doesn't sound like an investigation.  Baron Davis has been saying Sterling heckled him from his front row seat (called him the devil, bastard, etc) for years.  Did they "follow that closely" and investigate it too?

Caught red-handed on video/audio -> media attention -> public embarrassment -> Start messing with our image/money/sponsors -> shit gets done with immediacy

EDIT:

It was a fair deal but still he did the Clips a solid on that one.

Time will tell.  Right Lakers fans?

Edited by _MJ_

Also this:

That's pretty glaringly inconsistent, unless there was absolutely zero credible evidence in those two lawsuits.

You are probably right, but to Tabe's point, those questions were asked of Silver.  

Jesus Christ, I thought Colbert made this up.  From a deposition in 2003:

696851831633207979.png

There are not enough likes in the world for this. . . 

Yeah.  I thought the line from the lawyer was just a joke.  The first part, sure, but...  Holy fuck really?

I saw that a year or 2 ago and it's still one of the absolute funniest things I've ever read. It never fails to make me laugh. It's on the shortlist with the Orson Welles Frozen Peas rant and Scorpio Sky and Human Tornado doing Beat It.