DVDVR Message Board

As much as i like the majority of these comic book movies they may really be pushing their luck here. After a quick Google search it seems there are 30 Marvel/DC films planned over the next 6 years! 9 of them in 2017 and that's before Marvel have really announced anything for 2019/2020. Marvel struck gold with Guardians, they took a bunch of characters no one had ever heard of and hit a home run. You have to give that credit to the Marvel name value and marketing to get people to see it on opening day. It wasn't anything i was looking forward to, the trailers were good but it wasn't 'must see' for me. We really only went to see it based on word of mouth and the fact that there was nothing else on. Don't get me wrong, i loved it, but what if it went the other way? They release a stinker with a bunch of D listers and it bombs? People are going to see Iron Man, Avengers, Spider-man and Batman movies regardless of quality, and probably Thor, Captain America and Superman too but they have to get it right every single time now with these unknowns or its back to nothing but established characters.

Looking at the next 2 years Batman/Superman, Avengers 2 and X-Men are a given, i'll go watch those regardless. I didn't like the first Captain America movie but loved the second so if it looks good i'll see that one too. But honestly? I've still not even watched the last Spider-Man movie, that and Fantastic 4 do nothing for me, and as for Antman and Dr Strange? They best break out the Guardians hype machine again.

Time to break up all the angry debating with some Matt Murdock Daredevil set pictures!

Looks like they just filmed young Matt's accident.

spl815661_019.jpg?width=480&quality=0.85

spl815661_013.jpg?width=480&quality=0.85

spl815661_005.jpg?width=480&quality=0.85

spl815661_004.jpg?width=480&quality=0.85

Here is a picture of Deborah Ann Woll with blonde hair to give us an idea on how she might look as Karen Page.

deborah-ann-woll-ew-true-blood-portraits

I enjoy Marvel movies but there are people here who think you should not be allowed to enjoy DC movies. 

You wanna talk about DC movies in the DC thread? Hey, here's Mike Zeidler shitting on everything.

Let's see what's going on in the Marvel thread. Oh hey, it's TheVileOne gloating about Captain America.

Again, I like Marvel movies, Winter Soldier and GotG are great but the fanboyism here makes it very hard to be a Marvel fan.

• Like 1

Yeah and every comic movie doesn't need to be rainbows and bubblegum either. I don't understand what Matt or Fresh's beef is with serious situations. With that said, Guardians of the Galaxy was perfect in how it was able to blend comedy and drama without either feeling out of the place..  James Gunn hit a home run with this and I can't wait for the sequel.

I enjoy Marvel movies but there are people here who think you should not be allowed to enjoy DC movies. 

You wanna talk about DC movies in the DC thread? Hey, here's Mike Zeidler shitting on everything.

Let's see what's going on in the Marvel thread. Oh hey, it's TheVileOne gloating about Captain America.

Again, I like Marvel movies, Winter Soldier and GotG are great but the fanboyism here makes it very hard to be a Marvel fan.

Ok. To summarize :

1. Winter Soldier and Gotg were great,fun films but if you preferred them to dc films you are a mindless fanboy or if you engage in harmless trash talk about the comic movies you're ridiculous.

What a bunch of humorless assets.

I'll cover all my bases here :

1. Marvel movies have been overall compared to dc. Liked the batman trilogy and man of steel, but enjoyed marvel movies better.

2. DC smokes marvel when it comes television shows..both live action and animated

3.gonna see both cap 3 and BVS. Will enjoy both...but cap will be better

I'm out. Enjoy your pearl clutching over someone elses personal tastes.

Yeah and every comic movie doesn't need to be rainbows and bubblegum either. I don't understand what Matt or Fresh's beef is with serious situations. With that said, Guardians of the Galaxy was perfect in how it was able to blend comedy and drama without either feeling out of the place..  James Gunn hit a home run with this and I can't wait for the sequel.

It's not about serious situations, it's about making Superman, the absolute symbol of hope, into a dour, depressing film.  It's about a lack of simple fun.  The Marvel films have just as serious of situations, but they leaven it by being actually enjoyable and, again, fun at points.

Of course, my single biggest problem with The Dark Knight Returns is the absolutely god awful portrayal of Superman in it, so ymmv.

Things can be serious without losing the sense of wonder. The problem is when they try to make things to real because these stories are not supposed to be real in the first place. They're supposed to be amazing. They are just afraid of losing people who are too jaded for that.

You can have three dimensional characters and interesting stories without sucking on the teat of "what would happen in the real world? "

It's not about serious situations, it's about making Superman, the absolute symbol of hope, into a dour, depressing film.  It's about a lack of simple fun.  The Marvel films have just as serious of situations, but they leaven it by being actually enjoyable and, again, fun at points.

Of course, my single biggest problem with The Dark Knight Returns is the absolutely god awful portrayal of Superman in it, so ymmv.

This.  I'm not much of a comic movie fan, so I don't have a preference between Marvel and DC, but Marvel films tend to be more fun, if not necessarily better. I think the Nolan Batman films and, to a lesser extent, Man of Steel are very good films from a technical standpoint.  I can look at those films and appreciate the scripts, the direction, the performances, etc.  But they weren't fun for me to watch.  The tone and characterizations in Man of Steel is really far removed from what I think a Superman movie should be.  That doesn't make Snyder's take wrong - there have been plenty of "dark" takes on Superman in the comics - but it's not something I want to watch again.  Same with the Batman films.  I think they're very well done, but they're also grim and self-important.  Worth watching once, but I don't have any urge to watch the films when they run on TNT, much less rent them. Once was enough.

I haven't liked a lot of the Marvel films either - probably haven't even seen half of their films from the past ten years, but the ones I like have some replay value for me.  I'll watch X-Men First Class next time it comes on TNT.  Might even go see GoTG again in the theater. If not. i'll rent it when it hits DVD.  Seen Avengers twice.  Avengers and GoTG are about as good as it gets for me.  Basically serious tone, some good action sequences, sharp, jokey script.  I can see myself watching both Avengers and GoTG multiple times when they hit TV.

(FWIW, I can only think of four comic book movies from the past decade or so that I've really enjoyed: Spider Man 2 (Raimi, not the reboot), GotG, Avengers, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.)

Matt, I get where you're coming from but I don't understand what you feel DC is doing "wrong" because outside of Lantern all of their movies have had great success at the box office and modern day comics are all about "what would happen in the real world?"  That's what Civil War was all about..  Again, something that most of this board hated but was successful. You can hate something but also understand why others might enjoy it...

Ok. To summarize :

1. Winter Soldier and Gotg were great,fun films but if you preferred them to dc films you are a mindless fanboy or if you engage in harmless trash talk about the comic movies you're ridiculous.

What a bunch of humorless assets.

I'll cover all my bases here :

1. Marvel movies have been overall compared to dc. Liked the batman trilogy and man of steel, but enjoyed marvel movies better.

2. DC smokes marvel when it comes television shows..both live action and animated

3.gonna see both cap 3 and BVS. Will enjoy both...but cap will be better

I'm out. Enjoy your pearl clutching over someone elses personal tastes.

Nah, you're a fanboy when your answer to everything is MARVEL WINS

I can fully understand why people like Nolan's Batman movies.  Hell, I *like* his first two Batman movies, and the last act of his third one.

I am at a loss as to how the final hour or so of Man of Steel didn't lead to rioting in the streets.

I hate Civil War and Ultimates too. The comics really started to shift after that. They moved away from the street level look of the early part of that decade and started to look at things that weren't just spies and ninjas and gangsters. I'm so glad the movies came a couple years later or else they would probably run it up just as bleak and heartless.

I don't blame DC. I do kind of blame America though, and along with that, you. Nothing personal.

Ha, why me? I came in here and wrote about how awesome GotG was and I enjoyed the hell out of Winter Soldier also. I feel there is a place for both what Marvel is doing and what DC is doing. I also hated Green Lantern so I'm not blind..  I loved Man of Steel and hated Iron Man 3. That's pretty much all there is to this "publisher war"

Iron Man 3 had so much potential and they just ruined everything. Thankfully, Marvel Studios has bounced back this Summer with some truly enjoyable and well done films.

I think, IMO, it's more that Marvel hasn't really alienated a large block of their core readers (unless the FF rumor becomes true), while DC since Nu52 has been doing that a lot.  It just makes Marvel seem more likeable for both casual and hardcore fans.

everyone is still butt hurt by the Mandarin stuff? Kingsley was awesome as Trevor/Mandarin, get over it guys!

and no, I think the worse thing Marvel has done was kill off Coulson in the Avengers and bring him back in Agents of Shield because ALIEN BLOOD~!