DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Is it fair to say that the Flair/HBK match is probably some of Kevin Dunn's best work in the WWE? That match is almost perfectly shot. It's like a movie. Every single camera change is meaningful, and the finish is enhanced so much by the way we view it. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they had spike marks and rehearsed.

I would have to give a ton of credit to Taker/HHH from WM28. That was a match I had no interest in, and didn't think there was anything they could do to hook me. But the visceral way it was shot combined with the work totally roped me in. If there's ever been a match that WWE can point to that borders on a horror movie in terms of directing and production values, I think that's the one.

CM Punk returns at WM

during the Divas title match

Yes! With all the other divas in the ring, "Cult of Personality" hits. AJ comes out wearing Punk's T-shirt. Punk comes out like Heyman, holding up the Divas belt. AJ checks her watch and yells, "It's clobberin' time!"

Explain to me how Kofi Kingston gets heat on anyone without it looking the most fake. I need this explanation. 

Eyepokes. Backrakes. Bootscrapes. Pulling the hair. Pulling the trunks. Punches while in a headlock. Foreign objects. Using the ropes. Low blows while the ref is distracted. Manager interference. Stalling for time. Begging off.

Heel stuff.

I don't get the idea that a guy like Kofi couldn't get heat on a guy, small dudes have been able to get over as heels before. Kofi would have to rework his stuff a little but once he got over he could still work stuff like his leg drop into a match as a heel spot. Sean Waltman was a heat magnet, dude had heat that probably 95% of the heels today wish they could get and his offense was mostly kicks. I hope this doesn't lead to a conversation about "X-Pac heat" if the crowds didn't want to see him they would have used his matches as breaks not stick around to boo his ass.

I do like the idea of Kingston headhunting with the TIP. With concussions being what they are, having guys who have to face him wrestling noticeably more conservative in style because they're afraid they're gonna get kicked in the soft spot would be interesting storytelling.

Ask him if they shot that movie he was in inside the Target. Tell him Death Valley Driver made you do it.

At least Shane's kids are alive and he's only on his first marriage.

• Like 4

Trying to figure out how to say X-Pac Heat with "unironic" intentions and I'm unsure of where to start.

Dovetailing the other part of this conversation together, start with a concussion from getting kicked in the head.

Speaking of concussions and kicks in the head, when the fuck did you get back?

What I love about Kofi is he has both the weakest looking offense and the most protected finish in the whole company.  Has anyone ever kicked out of the SOS?

A heel turn wont help. Either he works a more realistic looking style or they bring back Saturday Morning Slam and give him some b.s. title.