DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Survivor Series 96 was at MSG and Royal Rumble 97 was in San Antonio, if that's more helpful tracking down the good one than my facetious analysis.

I don't think I've watched either one since the airdate, though I think the finish to SS96 involved Sid mugging the ringside camera man and using the camera as weapon (either on Jose Lothario, who was managing HBK at the time, or on Michaels himself).

If I remember right, Sid used the camera on Shawn in the SS match and then Shawn got revenge by doing the same in the RR match

I could very well be wrong though and Sid might have won the first match on a Greco-Roman scoring system based on takedowns.

James

isn't the Rumble match the one where Shawn had the "flu"?

Yup. The Rumble match is barely over 10 min and Shawn is "sick", Survivor Series is way better. Might be Sid's best singles match ever.

The Rumble match also had some asshole whistling really loudly like every 30 seconds.

Shawn has gone on record several times that Sid had to lead the Rumble match due to his "condition".

I think he really did have the flu. In his book, Bret mentioned that HBK was sick during the Royal Rumble. I figure that if HBK really was just drugged out or drunk, Bret wouldn't have missed the opportunity to call him on it in his book. Bret wasn't shy about saying when he thought HBK was pilled out of his mind so I think he (HBK) might've legit been sick during RR.

Survivor Series 96 was at MSG and Royal Rumble 97 was in San Antonio, if that's more helpful tracking down the good one than my facetious analysis.

I don't think I've watched either one since the airdate, though I think the finish to SS96 involved Sid mugging the ringside camera man and using the camera as weapon (either on Jose Lothario, who was managing HBK at the time, or on Michaels himself).

Let me see if I remember it right, it's been a while...

Ref bump due to Sid ducking out of the way of a Shawn springboard bodyblock off the second rope.  Stuff happened, then Sid grabbed the camera from the apron cameraman and acted like he was going to use it on Shawn.  Jose Lothario got on the apron to try to talk Sid down, and Sid did a 180 and struck him in the chest with the camera.   Jose collapses and grabs his chest while Shawn hits the superkick.  Cover, no ref.  Shawn sees Jose and ducks to the floor to check on him.  Sid rolls out and blasts Shawn in the back with the camera.  Rolls him in, ref's up, powerbomb, 1, 2, 3.  Sid fistbumps with Vladimir.

Yeah, I loved Sid.

• Like 2

isn't the Rumble match the one where Shawn had the "flu"?

Yup. The Rumble match is barely over 10 min and Shawn is "sick", Survivor Series is way better. Might be Sid's best singles match ever.

The Rumble match also had some asshole whistling really loudly like every 30 seconds.

Was he whistling Sexy Boy like Bobby Heenan? Because if so, that's not being an asshole. That's having good musical taste.

• Like 1

Sid was like a man possessed in that Survivor Series 96 match.  He had his fuckin' working boots on.  Totally carried that match and pulled out a lot of moves he doesnt always use.  Not to mention that the crowd in MSG marked out for Sid big time.

I was there for that show.  Place went nuts for Sid.  The Bret Hart pop was huge, but Sid winning the title was insane.  People were sing/humming his theme song on the way out of the building.  

• 1 month later...

I know the answer is probably Because JCP, but why did they book such large venues? Did they at least think they'd draw enough people to warrant renting such a huge place or did they just think it'd look cool?

Eric Bischoff said in his interview with JBL that the people running WCW in the early 90s just insisted on going on the road and booking large venues even when they lost money per show. 

Not surprising that that was a long running systemic issue.