DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I'm tempted to say Inoki but I know he was an underneath guy early on.  Rikidozan didn't do many jobs, but then again his career was cut short.  (No pun intended.) Brody didn't lie down very often either.  (Poor choice of words, I know.) Mil Mascaras hasn't been pinned in a very very long time.

When did Booker beat him?

Summer 2000 during the heel Goldberg run on an episode of Nitro.  Booker just won the title and said he'd defend every Monday night and Sting was supposed to be his opponent.  I think Goldberg took out Sting (or it could have been Vampiro since he was feuding with Sting forever).  Goldberg and Booker had a match early in the show leading to Stevie Ray throwing in the towel to save his brother from Goldberg which should have made Goldberg champion but Ernest Miller who was commish overruled the decision.  The match was restarted and Booker was able to get a pin over Goldberg in the main event after a few run ins.

Here's a question for everyone:

What was the relationship between Shawn Michaels and Matt Bentley? I always assumed that Bentley being HBK's cousin was kayfabed, especially since he never got a shot in WWE, HBK has never mentioned him in any interviews and they've never appeared together in public. Shawn trained him so it's not like they've never met and he's just some random distant cousin. 

Despite my assumption, every source seems to just refer to Matt Bentley as Shawn's cousin.

No, it's just a gimmick. Kinda like EC3 where you play up being someone's spoiled relative. My ex knew Bentley since high school, she said he was just a guy who was a big HBK fan and that was always his idea for a character.

It's amazing how he's managed to work everyone to the point that every website just mentions that he's HBK's cousin. 

No, it's just a gimmick. Kinda like EC3 where you play up being someone's spoiled relative. My ex knew Bentley since high school, she said he was just a guy who was a big HBK fan and that was always his idea for a character.

Kind of like when Ian Rotten used to wrestle as Johnny "The Prince" Lawler, except Michaels never called Bently and threatened to kill him if he didn't stop that shit immediately.

That's the only one.

In fact, even counting Hogan's '79-'81 stint, Warrior and Andre were the only ones who got clean pins.  (Tony Atlas beat him on his way out but it wasn't clean, and I'm pretty sure Backlund only won by countout.)

Andre's win at the Shea show wasn't all that clean either. There was a fast count for some reason.

Kind of like when Ian Rotten used to wrestle as Johnny "The Prince" Lawler, except Michaels never called Bently and threatened to kill him if he didn't stop that shit immediately.

I find it interesting that Shawn let Matt Bentley get over in TNA using his name. Good for Shawn, I guess.

That's the only one.

In fact, even counting Hogan's '79-'81 stint, Warrior and Andre were the only ones who got clean pins.  (Tony Atlas beat him on his way out but it wasn't clean, and I'm pretty sure Backlund only won by countout.)

Andre's win at the Shea show wasn't all that clean either. There was a fast count for some reason.

They had a match in Philly (or Boston maybe?)  that ended with Hulk going for a slam but Andre just kinda fell on him for the pin.

And the KOTR pin wasn't exactly clean, remember the camera "exploding" in Hulk's face.

So, I'm watching Survivor '96, because I wanted to watch Bret/Austin and HBK/Sid. I ended up watching the rest of the show after the former (don't ask). Next match comes up, they hype the mystery guy, who turns out to be Snuka.

I remember reading somewhere that Savage was strongly considered to be the mystery man. If true, how close was it to being Macho?

According to the Observer from that time, Savage had a conversation with WWF about returning, but his demands were so high, nothing ever happened after it.  "Strongly considered" sounds like a huge overstatement.

More than likely Snuka was always the plan since the Hall of Fame had been the night before and he was already there.

Were the crows turning on Lex Luger in early 1989 before they decided to turn him heel?  He was the top face for the past year (and I heard that him being top face was supposedly planned from the moment that he joined the Horsemen in 1987) and then they change all plans and make him heel.  By the time he turned heel, did creative already have their minds made up that Sting was the one they wanted as lead face?