DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

I normally don't read F4W recaps, but saw this one.  I think Cena Program stands for anyone who feuded with Cena and has come out worse for it in his opinion.  I didn't understand the logic of labeling guys like that.  Did anyone outside of Cena and Reigns even get anything beyond 50/50, CP, or low-card? I don't think Lesnar and Taker got ratings, but I may be misremembering.

From the Observer site:

"Dave Meltzer from this site will be on CNN between 3:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. discussing the Hulk Hogan situation."

As opposed to a Different Dave Meltzer?

Maybe Davey Meltzer can tell us what it was it like to work for Herb Abrams

I just saw my first copy of the Observer ever. Holy crap! Man I have questions. How in the world has Dave done this for so long? In terms of size of content, where does Dave rate in the  modern age? This has got to be some sort of record right? Out of morbid curiosity, has Dave written anything non-wrestling?  Do they always not indent paragraphs?

No clue. Partial insanity?

Pretty high? I mean 12-18 pages a week is pretty damned impressive.

Wrote about soccer in the 80's. Was gonna quit the observer to do that full time. In fact he almost quit three times. Once in the early 80's, once after Wrestlemania III and once in 92 during the McMahon steroid trial.

Yes. The online version available for a subscription at f4wonline.com does indent paragraphs.

Wrote about soccer in the 80's. Was gonna quit the observer to do that full time. In fact he almost quit three times. Once in the early 80's, once after Wrestlemania III and once in 92 during the McMahon steroid trial.

Is there anything of a fictional nature? Why the 92 quit attempt?

The scary thing he still finds free time to watch ungodly amounts of mma and pro wrestling over the past 40+ years while currently having a wife and family and having worked several other gigs at the same time writing stuff as well. There seems to be no sign of stopping either. He must have that Vince thing where he doesn't need to sleep and can work like a mad-man and not think much of it.

Is there anything of a fictional nature? Why the 92 quit attempt?

Nothing of fictional work. He's done a lot of column work for things like The National and various other papers on wrestling.

If I remember about 1992, if I'm not mistaken he was a key factor in reporting of the McMahon trial and he got in trouble with WWE and got real frustrated. I would say he was thinking about quitting, whereas 83 and after Wrestlemania III he actually DID quit and was brought back mostly by demand.

As an editor, the thing that bothers me most is when theres an island at the end of a paragraph and doubly so when it at the top of a page. There was one of those in last couple weeks. Grr.

Oh my god, this, more than anything else. That's massively irritating.

Reading the Observers from the time of Hogan's WWF return in late 1983 through early 1985 is fairly amusing, as (in my opinion) Meltzer's viewpoint/predictions look increasingly foolish (to paraphrase, "hotshotting the belt onto Hogan was a mistake; they should have built up to it"... "McMahon's expansion is doomed because wrestling's not becoming more popular; the business peaked in early 1983"... "this Wrestlemania idea is foolish.... okay it worked but let's see him do that again...."), all culminating in "Guys, I am quitting to write for a soccer magazine."

Why did he quit after Mania 3? Did he figure wrestling had peaked with Hogan slamming the 1000-pound Andre to death and that it was all downhill from there?

If I remember right, he didn't like the way wrestling was going then leaning toward WWE style being the style that was gonna win out. He was gonna quit but he came back from demand.

That Andre/Hogan match was pretty terrible to be fair.

Why did he quit after Mania 3? Did he figure wrestling had peaked with Hogan slamming the 1000-pound Andre to death and that it was all downhill from there?

If I remember right, he didn't like the way wrestling was going then leaning toward WWE style being the style that was gonna win out.

Little did he know.