DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

Why did he quit after Mania 3? Did he figure wrestling had peaked with Hogan slamming the 1000-pound Andre to death and that it was all downhill from there?

If I remember right, he didn't like the way wrestling was going then leaning toward WWE style being the style that was gonna win out. He was gonna quit but he came back from demand.

That Andre/Hogan match was pretty terrible to be fair.

Not according to Al Snow. Al Snow said it was the best match on the card, not Savage/Steamboat.

Reading the Observers from the time of Hogan's WWF return in late 1983 through early 1985 is fairly amusing, as (in my opinion) Meltzer's viewpoint/predictions look increasingly foolish (to paraphrase, "hotshotting the belt onto Hogan was a mistake; they should have built up to it"... "McMahon's expansion is doomed because wrestling's not becoming more popular; the business peaked in early 1983"... "this Wrestlemania idea is foolish.... okay it worked but let's see him do that again...."), all culminating in "Guys, I am quitting to write for a soccer magazine."

I wonder where soccer fans stand on the issue of MMA coverage?

I still remember when soccer great George Best died and Dave wrote like a 5 page obit for him in the WON

I didn't mind it since I love soccer but I was always baffled by it until I learned that Dave had done some soccer coverage.

• 1 month later...

I loved tonight's Raw podcast with Dave going "If you know you wanna do Ronda Rousey, just do it.  I know who I want to do, you know who you want to do, just do it."

I really hope Dave's wife was walking past his office and heard that line out of context as he said it.

And the "you told me [seth's head] was made of chocolate" bit reminded me of the Key to the CIty gag from the Mr. Plow episode of The Simpsons.

I still remember when soccer great George Best died and Dave wrote like a 5 page obit for him in the WON

I didn't mind it since I love soccer but I was always baffled by it until I learned that Dave had done some soccer coverage.

He actually worked for the original SJ Earthquakes IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Well played, sir.

So, in this week's newsletter, Meltzer refers to a collegiate wrestling meet in Iowa as drawing "the second biggest wrestling crowd in North America [this year]." Why does he insist on equating pro wrestling with things that are not pro wrestling?

Well played, sir.

So, in this week's newsletter, Meltzer refers to a collegiate wrestling meet in Iowa as drawing "the second biggest wrestling crowd in North America [this year]." Why does he insist on equating pro wrestling with things that are not pro wrestling?

Because he has nothing better to do? That since TNA is dying, there is no more reason for him to exist professionally?

I don't think anywhere in that sentence he used the word pro or professional. He does it to showcase what draws in combat sports, because all combat sports, predetermined or otherwise share largely the same fanbase. A group of people with disposable income who want to see people fight.

Jesus fuck, how hard is this to understand?

He's comparing the crowd at a college wrestling meet to Wrestlemania.  These are dissimilar things, and while there may be some small amount of overlap between their respective audiences, it's still apples and oranges.

You may feel free to unclench now.

Jesus fuck, how hard is this to understand?

If it's predetermined, it's not a sport. Paintball is more of a "combat sport" than professional wrestling. And no, "but some boxing/MMA fights are fixed" doesn't change things, because they're not supposed to be fixed. The entire supposition of real sports is that the outcome is entirely in doubt and will be decided by a legitimate competition between two opposing forces which are both trying their hardest to win.