DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL DRAFT

RIPPA

Gay player in the NFL.

Nobody drafted from the University of Texas.

What's the third sign of the football apocalypse going to be?

The Lions winning a playoff game.
  • Like 3

If you were a team captain who played well in the postseason All-Stars, you're on Miami's hit list.

If Michael Sam had a better Senior Bowl, I would have bet the Dolphins would have been the ones to take him.

I am sick of hearing about Michael Sam. He is a deviant and an immoral beast. I mean the man has TWO FIRST NAMES for god's sake! Damn heathen.

(couldn't care any less about him being gay btw just to be clear)

Not sure what amuses me more: the rubes jumping on Twitter to compare Sam to Tebow (because expressing your faith in Jebus is SOOOOOOO much more courageous than coming out of the closet), or the rubes jumping on Twitter to express how this is a non-story and no one cares about it.

• Like 1

Ian Rappaport is saying that the Rams, Bears, Giants and Ravens were all preparing to offer Sam a deal if he hadn't been drafted.

So now I wonder if the Giants would have pulled the trigger if they had had a 7th rounder

Not sure what amuses me more: the rubes jumping on Twitter to compare Sam to Tebow (because expressing your faith in Jebus is SOOOOOOO much more courageous than coming out of the closet), or the rubes jumping on Twitter to express how this is a non-story and no one cares about it.

I'm out of likes, but  you get 3 for this.  Those Christians sure do have it rough out there.

Seriously though, I have to kinda pretend to like the Bengals this year.  I hope AJ has a chance to shine.

There are at least two things people can say about Tebow that instantly illustrate that they know nothing about football:

1.) He would do well in the CFL.

2.) Him being a Christian somehow makes him special in the ranks of the NFL.

• Like 3

I think the thing I took out of this draft is just how much ESPN is now more about creating a story to cover then actually covering the stories that come out of the draft. Day 1 Johnny. Day 3 SEC QBs and Sam.

That's been the M.O. for ESPN for at least a decade. There was a thing about a year ago where they got one of their NFL guys to say something stupid then spent all day analyzing their own guy. They absolutely try to create news rather than just report it.

Oh yeah as a Yooper I can tell you that Packers are the NFL team in the UP. But I come from an anti-Packers fan and that's why I'm a Pats fan (and my dad is a Dolphins fan).

And now reports that every player is complaining that he was drafted four rounds later than he should have been.

Fixed that for you

I'm pretty sure Jadaveon Clowney isn't complaining too much :)

A few days late and a few dollars short, here are my thoughts on the Cleveland Browns draft. 

Round 1, #8: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: I love the trade with Buffalo, and I don't know any Buffalo fan who would be happy with trading up to grab Watkins and giving up a future first and fourth, as I really don't see Buffalo making the playoffs this year. You can make the argument that they knew of Gordon's suspension prior to the draft, and maybe should have taken Watkins, but with it up in the air, I like sticking to a plan and not changing it because of panic. Shortly after Buffalo took Watkins, Stevie Johnson was traded for a fourth-round pick (which could become a third-round pick) - I can't imagine how quickly Buffalo fans would have ran to the cliff if the Browns would have received Johnson instead of Buffalo's 2015 fourth-round pick.   

I'd venture to say Gilbert can probably handle most number one NFL WRs right now. He has great speed and tremendous strength, and is big enough to not be pushed around. The most important trait, though, is the way he moves; every movement is fluid and nothing looks unnatural. Combine this with excellent instincts and ball-skills, and you have a shut-down corner. I'm guessing Pettine was leave Gilbert and Haden alone, freeing up the defense to run more blitzes from either the S or LB position or change up coverages.

The only thing I don't like with Gilbert is he isn't aggressive as he could be. He doesn't attack the ball-carrier, especially against the run, and doesn't hustle to the runner. I can't even imagine how good he would be if he was more aggressive in run defense or was a true student of the game.  

Who should/could they have picked: I'd take Gilbert and a future first-round pick over Watkins. Other options at this point may have included Taylor Lewan, (he has character concerns), Aaron Donald (Cleveland already has a very strong DL), or Ryan Shazier.  

Round 1, #22: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: I'm not sure what to think about this pick. For one, I don't like the circus surrounding Manziel, which is partly brought on by himself and partly created by the media. I do thing he's either going to be a massive success or massive failure. The problem this also brings to Cleveland is the fans and media will be constantly screaming for him shortly after Hoyer's first incomplete pass. I really hope that he doesn't play this year, unless he shows coaches he is dedicated to the game and/or Hoyer implodes.  

Manziel is in for a massive wake-up call once he finally does start for Cleveland (and, at one point this season, he will start). I really hope he drops the "Johnny Football" antics and becomes a student of the game, and can adjust to the speed of the NFL. I'm wondering how his undisciplined style is going to mesh with the NFL game as well. 

From a purely athletic standpoint, he can make most of the throws. He never gives up and isn't afraid to make any throw or grab a few yards on the ground. Big hands, good speed, and is always looking down the field for the open receiver. However, he won't have as much time to look down the field as he did in college. He'll also often run when it isn't needed, created a 'busted' play when he should stay in the pocket, step forward, and make a throw with the pocked closing in. 

Who should/could they have picked: They tried to trade up to pick 20 for Brandin Cooks, but New Orleans offered a better deal. You also had Marcus Smith, OLB, and Kelvin Benjamin, WR, available. I would have rather had either of those two players over JF, or perhaps would have even stayed at pick 26 and would have taken Derek Carr, QB. There also needed help at S and could have grabbed Jimmie Ward or Deone Buccannon, as both could have played SS next to Whitner at FS. 

Round 2, #35, Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada: I was really hoping they would pick up at least one offensive lineman with their first three picks, as the Cleveland's right side of the line is one of the worst in the league. Mitchell Schwartz, RT, regressed heavily after an average rookie season, and we had no one to fill in the G position next to him. 

After Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, was picked at 33, I didn't think the Browns would go with a OL here, but they may have been targeting Bitonio all along. He'll play RG for the team after playing T in college, and can play any position on the line. Mayock raved about him. He fits right in with Joe Thomas and Alex Mack - he's incredibly tough, doesn't have a history of injuries, and has excellent footwork. He's relentless, finished off blocks, often blocking the defender out of the play entirely. He'll succeed in the NFL because of his maturity and work ethic, despite not have elite position skills. Not that it means much, but he had the fastest 40-yard dash and cone drill, as well as the highest vertical jump, and longest broad jump at the combine at his position.    

Who should/could they have picked: I like this pick, but if you're going to play devil's advocate, Derek Carr, QB, was available (obviously, you wouldn't take him after taking Manziel, but what if they had taken Kelvin Benjamin previously and Carr here?). They could have taken Marqise Lee or Jordan Matthews, both WRs, but I don't know how much better they would be this season instead of Miles Austin or Earl Bennett. 

Round 3, #71, Christian Kirksey, OLB, Iowa: I was really hoping Jeremiah Attacochu, OLB, would somehow fall to the third round, but he was picked at pick 50 by San Diego. The picked Kirksey, who will play inside (and probably start) alongside Dansby. He's an excellent "football player," but I don't think he'll translate well to ILB at the NFL. While he is smart, he is light and lanky for playing on the inside. He isn't the most aggressive tackler and doesn't shed blocks well - I can see teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore running right over him. He would probably be better suited to play OLB, and, he was graded as a round 4 or round 5 pick.  

Who should/could they have picked: Preston Brown, ILB, Chris Borland, ILB, or Tre Mason, RB.  

Round 3, #94. Terrance West, RB, Towson: West was often labeld a "poor man's Carlos Hyde" coming into the draft. He's a company guy with excellent feet. I think the new regime in Cleveland singled him out for his physicality and toughness. He runs hard, makes quick breaks, and loves to wear down a defense. He will fit nicely with Ben Tate in our zone-blocking, power-running scheme.  

Who should/could they have picked: This was a decent pick for that pick, they could have also picked up Dri Archer or Jerick McKinnon, both RBs, but those two may not fit the proposed scheme Cleveland will implement. There were also a number of CBs who went off the board shortly after West did.   

Round 4, #127, Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood: If you have a chance, I urge you to read his back story. I can't believe the hours he put in just to stay in his college program and support his family, and that's probably a reason Cleveland targeted him. He make plays, but didn't face a decent amount of talent coming from Division II. Like Gilbert, his has smooth hips, good footwork, and attacked the ball rather than playing the defender. 

It worries me that, also like Gilbert, his isn't aggressive in playing the run or tackling. 

Who should/could they have picked: I don't have knowledge of most players beyond the second or third round. From what I can see, Tre Boston, SS, was picked right after Desir, and they could have also grabbed Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, which would have filled a need. 

Other notes: Cleveland traded their seventh-round pick for a 2015 sixth-round pick from Baltimore. Cleveland traded away their fourth- and sixth-round picks for San Francisco's third and picked West. Cleveland traded their first-round pick to Buffalo and gained a 2015 first- and fourth-round pick from Buffalo, then traded a 2014 fifth-round pick to jump ahead of Minnesota. Cleveland traded a third-round pick to Philadelphia to swap spots near the end of day one.

I'm not going to try and figure all of this out, but I believe we had 10 picks going in, and came out with the above six players, and three additional picks: A 2015 Buffalo first-round pick, a 2015 Buffalo fourth-round pick, and a 2015 Baltimore sixth-round pick. I like the way Cleveland added valuable players by trading away some of our later picks, which would have been project picks, and grabbed players that can contribute from day one. Gilbert, Bitonio, and Kirksey will probably start, West will probably see a decent number of touches for a rookie, and Desir will see action in nickel and dime packages, and be asked to contribute on special teams. 

My grade: B+, and that is with assumption that those in charge know that Kirksey can become a legitimate ILB playing every down. 

• Like 1