DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL DRAFT

RIPPA

I don't want it to overwhelm the Offseason Thread and with mocks and random other news - it probably can have it's own thread.

The Browns are supposedly willing to trade up for Johnny Football. That will turn out well

Jadeveon Clowney says he will fully participate in the NFL Combine. I may or may not be seeking the location of my pants.

• Like 1

Is everyone sleeping on Derek Carr? I mean I know he's probably not first round material, but still.

I don't think so. He was unimpressive in his bowl game but dominated the rest of the year. I think he'll go in the first.

I would love to trade with Cleveland for the pick. Personally I don't buy the hype on Clowney I'm sure he's a perfectly acceptable defensive player but he's not this "omgz once in a lifetime" type player he's been hyped up to be. 

I would think teams would have learned after the RGIII trade that its just not smart to mortgage several years of your future for one player I'm happy that that might not be the case. 

I would love to trade with Cleveland for the pick. Personally I don't buy the hype on Clowney I'm sure he's a perfectly acceptable defensive player but he's not this "omgz once in a lifetime" type player he's been hyped up to be. 

I would think teams would have learned after the RGIII trade that its just not smart to mortgage several years of your future for one player I'm happy that that might not be the case. 

Except that football has changed to such a degree that you almost have to have a franchise QB to succeed.  And you're always going to see a team that wants to move up to draft that franchise QB.  So I still can see why the Skins made the trade for RG3, even if it blew up in their face.  I mean, the Skins really haven't had a true franchise QB since Sonny...

Except that football has changed to such a degree that you almost have to have a franchise QB to succeed.  And you're always going to see a team that wants to move up to draft that franchise QB.  So I still can see why the Skins made the trade for RG3, even if it blew up in their face.  I mean, the Skins really haven't had a true franchise QB since Sonny...

One great season, one terrible season. Maybe try being a supporter?

• Like 1

Sigh...again, there were enough indications this year that RG3 might not be all that he's cracked up to be.  Now, even taking into account that some of the stories came from media that have shown a bit of a bias in other areas (see Sally Jenkins from the Post), when there's enough smoke there's usually fire.  And I wouldn't be shocked if, despite everything that has been said, that he was actually lobbying the Skins to hire Art Briles.

Is the 'true' RG3 the RG3 from 2012?  Probably not.  Is it the one from last year.  Probably not.  He'll probably end up somewhere in the middle.  Was that worth the extra draft picks?  I would say no, but then again I'm not Dan Snyder.  And when I'm saying that it blew up in the Skins' face, I was mostly saying that because they fully expected this upcoming draft pick to be in the late first round, not #2.

And when I'm saying that it blew up in the Skins' face, I was mostly saying that because they fully expected this upcoming draft pick to be in the late first round, not #2.

Fair point. I feel like he comes back strong next year, though.

Take it for what it is worth but Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo apparently had an amazing East/West Shrine Game (and week) and was named Offensive MVP.

So everyone is saying now he is a 2nd or 3rd round pick

He was a late add to the Senior Bowl after McCarron declined. People should wait to see how he does against some real competition before they get out the anointing oils.

Carr, too. I haven't seen anything from him that's really all that impressive. He plays in the exact sort of dink-n-dunk, thousand screens and shallow crosses spread that never translates well to the NFL.

A little surprised that Tahj Boyd checked in at 6' at the Senior Bowl. He always looked like more of a 6'2"-3" guy on the field. That probably hurts him.

Both Carr and Garropolo snuck in over 6'2" but both had tiny hands around 9".

The Rams have been doing some great work in the draft, but at the end of the day the QB in STL is still Sam Bradford.  I honestly wouldn't trade the pick this year. They need to draft a QB and give up on the most expensive QB project in the league.