DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL DRAFT

RIPPA

Right now, Kiper has Ha Ha Clinton-Dix going to Dallas. I wouldn't even know what to do with myself if it happened especially after all the garbage the Cowboys have drafted for safety depth. Not a complete game changer because Dallas is leaky in other spots on D, but a good safety has been the goddamn white whale. People thought Owusu-Ansah was a nice late round pickup. He spent most of his time in Dallas on IR. They drafted Matt Johnson. His whole career has been spent on IR. Wilcox has been okay but having to split snaps with Heath has made him worse almost. Plus, Wilcox getting hurt is the reason why Heath was playing. Having Barry Church and Jeff Heath (both undrafted) start would be an eyesore for any lineup.

He was a late add to the Senior Bowl after McCarron declined. People should wait to see how he does against some real competition before they get out the anointing oils.

Carr, too. I haven't seen anything from him that's really all that impressive. He plays in the exact sort of dink-n-dunk, thousand screens and shallow crosses spread that never translates well to the NFL.

I think he benefited from having the best pass-rushers on his own team as he looked a bit shaky in spots when the DL got to him on occasion. Still, it was a very good performance. Can't wait to see him in the Senior Bowl practices.

Also, I have to say that the draftniks on Twitter are pretty funny. So much outrage when McCarron declined, but barely a peep when a lot of the other big names bowed out.

Right now, Kiper has Ha Ha Clinton-Dix going to Dallas. I wouldn't even know what to do with myself if it happened especially after all the garbage the Cowboys have drafted for safety depth. Not a complete game changer because Dallas is leaky in other spots on D, but a good safety has been the goddamn white whale. People thought Owusu-Ansah was a nice late round pickup. He spent most of his time in Dallas on IR. They drafted Matt Johnson. His whole career has been spent on IR. Wilcox has been okay but having to split snaps with Heath has made him worse almost. Plus, Wilcox getting hurt is the reason why Heath was playing. Having Barry Church and Jeff Heath (both undrafted) start would be an eyesore for any lineup.

I'd be happy with that as long as they went with D line on the next couple.  That is a real issue for them also.  I feel good about Barry Church though.  He wasn't the guy constantly blowing coverages and he was the guy that had to make a lot of open field tackles to save touchdowns this season.  It's been too bad about Matt Johnson.   They had high hopes.  If motherfucking Brandon Carr can remember how to play corner and they get someone at safety to help out Church, the secondary wouldn't be so shitty. 

The name of the game is build from the inside out. As long as the Cowboys field the same trash in the trenches (Hatcher is likely gone) adding a solid safety will only improve them so much. The Cowboys have to be one of the most arrogant and ignorant front offices out there constantly drafting tight end and linebacker toys in the 2nd round while only addressing safety and D-line with mid-round and beyond jabronies.

If it isn't Dix in the first round, I have no problem with them drafting another offensive tackle since that's where the quality is in this draft. DT is a glaring need but if these guys wouldn't take Floyd in last year's draft (who they had high on their own board) I wouldn't force DL in the first round of this draft either. However it goes, they're not  a player away so pure BPA is the best way to go in the first round.

• 2 weeks later...

Herm Edwards went on ESPN and said Sam is bring in a  "Lot of off the field issues" and "personal baggage" to a locker room.   Of course, he really looked like he had just downed his 4th scotch of the day.

And the very interesting part of this is the players are all universally positive about Sam and his story. One of his teammates even related a story about how before the Cotton Bowl, Sam organized a bar crawl for his team through all the gay bars of Dallas... so I think they're all pretty much okay with it.  But the old men executives are all the ones saying negative things about his coming out.

Even funnier is how the executives are all, to the letter, using the exact same arguments made to say gay men and women were unfit for military service.  

God forbid the locker room has one of those nasty gays - gotta bring in more dog killers, alleged rapists, alcoholics, and murderers!

Seriously, if "the gay thing" is a distraction, what does that make all that other shit that actually harms people?

• Like 4

Herm Edwards went on ESPN and said Sam is bring in a  "Lot of off the field issues" and "personal baggage" to a locker room.   Of course, he really looked like he had just downed his 4th scotch of the day.

And the very interesting part of this is the players are all universally positive about Sam and his story. One of his teammates even related a story about how before the Cotton Bowl, Sam organized a bar crawl for his team through all the gay bars of Dallas... so I think they're all pretty much okay with it.  But the old men executives are all the ones saying negative things about his coming out.

Even funnier is how the executives are all, to the letter, using the exact same arguments made to say gay men and women were unfit for military service.  

Is there any question that Al Davis, if he thought Sam could play, would have drafted him in a heartbeat?

I... feel kinda good about Missouri now? This is weird. 

Right?  The reaction from the school, coaches and players does not match up with my lived experience of Columbia at all.  Good on 'em, I guess.

Giants owners said this will not affect their position on drafting him

“Michael Sam is a gifted athlete and a courageous man,” Giants co-owner Steve Tisch told TMZ Sports. ”I hope any NFL team would not hesitate to draft Michael if he is right for their team.”

Giants co-owner John Mara echoed Tisch’s sentiment.

“Our sport, our game, is the ultimate meritocracy,” Mara said. “You earn your way with your ability. As Patrick Burke and Wade Davis constantly remind all of us, regardless of who you are, what your background is and what your personal or sexual orientation is, if you can play, you can play. Michael’s announcement will not affect his position on our draft board.”

Giants owners said this will not affect their position on drafting him

“Michael Sam is a gifted athlete and a courageous man,” Giants co-owner Steve Tisch told TMZ Sports. ”I hope any NFL team would not hesitate to draft Michael if he is right for their team.”

Giants co-owner John Mara echoed Tisch’s sentiment.

“Our sport, our game, is the ultimate meritocracy,” Mara said. “You earn your way with your ability. As Patrick Burke and Wade Davis constantly remind all of us, regardless of who you are, what your background is and what your personal or sexual orientation is, if you can play, you can play. Michael’s announcement will not affect his position on our draft board.”

I am happy Tisch and Mara said this... though really what else were they going to say

HE CAN'T PLAY BECAUSE HE WILL BE TOO BUSY THINKING ABOUT MOUNTING ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS!!!!

I would giddy about getting his jersey the next day... especially since he fits a need for my boys.

I also will approve all the WHAT AN AMAZING ORGANIZATION!!! A MODEL OF CLASS FOR YEARS!!!! stories

(I also will barf when those stories are written about the Steelers or Pats or Ravens when they draft him)

So Sam went from a 3rd round projection to 7th round overnight. Yo! Jack's complete lack of surprise here.

Listening to the anonymous GM types, you'd think it would take more than one openly gay man to turn a bunch of Hubba Hubba He-Men types into such fucking pussies. Doesn't speak much for their mindset.