DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So what are the summer shows out right now?

There is almost as much summer stuff is there is fall stuff. Off the top of my head things I want to check out this summer. 

Fargo, Salem, Penny Dreadful, Crossbones, Turn, I thought about watching Silicon Valley and thats just whats out right now. Coming up is Holt Catch and Fire, Orange is the New Black, The Leftovers and The Strain. I'm sure I"m missing a ton of stuff but yeah I used to bitch about nothing being on in the Summer now I don't have time to watch all the shit in the fall let alone summer as well. 

So the first episode of Gang Related was pretty just there. Comes across like an edgier Hawaii Five-0 with a touch of Infernal Affairs. Also another of those shows that probably would have been done better on cable than broadcast television. It did end on a strong note that hopefully following episodes can keep up. At only 13 episodes I suppose I can give it a chance.

Silicon Valley turned out to be really god damn funny. It started a bit slow, but the second half of the season has been tremendous.

EDIT: Still not as good as Veep.

Fair enough on the shows almost half over. Technically Mad Men was a spring show as well. The Strain looks interesting but I'm not familiar with the source material. I watched the first ten minutes of Silicon Valley and I don't think I laughed. Of course it was also late so I'll have to give it another go. 

Royal Pains is a fine little medical show, basically Marcus Welby MD with pretty people, some ongoing subplots, and lovely scenery, and charming actors. It's light as a feather, but always watchable.

How dare you.  Nurse Conseulo was the hotness.

Now you made me go and look up the year to see what other t.v. related events we're hovering around the 20 year anniversary of, say spring-early summer:

- Hogan showing up on WCW Saturday Night

- The Simpsons hit their 100th episode 20 FREAKING YEARS AGO last week!

- The NBA finals are interrupted by the Simpson/Bronco chase 20 years ago this June 17

- Madonna's infamous Letterman appearance was about a month ago 20 years ago

- Back in Feb. 1994, was Martin Lawrence's infamous bleeped up (on the west coast) SNL monolog that got him banned from NBC

- TCM and Direct TV both started broadcasting this Spring 20 years ago

- Fox was gearing up for its first ever NFL broadcast and people were genuinely astounded that this was even possible

What a world!

• Like 1

I just watched the last Quantum Leap for the third time. I always loved it, but it took three times for me to fully understand it. It's right up there in that short list of best finales. Everyone centers on the whole "Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home" as a downer, as did I. But now I get it that it meant he embraced his destiny as an agent of good.

I'm watching "Broadway Idiot" on Netflix. It's the tale of how Green Day's "American Idiot" made it to Broadway. It's pretty ridiculous.

I really like that album a lot. It sort of blew me away, actually. I would classify myself as a Green Day fan.

I'm not a theater person at all. But I've got a lot of friends from that world and I know how hard those folks work and how talented they are.

But the combination of these two worlds absolutely does not work and it's fascinating to watch. It's just completely delusional in so many ways.

I will give this a solid A- in terms of entertainment value.

I'm watching "Broadway Idiot" on Netflix. It's the tale of how Green Day's "American Idiot" made it to Broadway. It's pretty ridiculous.

I really like that album a lot. It sort of blew me away, actually. I would classify myself as a Green Day fan.

I'm not a theater person at all. But I've got a lot of friends from that world and I know how hard those folks work and how talented they are.

But the combination of these two worlds absolutely does not work and it's fascinating to watch. It's just completely delusional in so many ways.

I will give this a solid A- in terms of entertainment value.

I just watched that myself.

The "why the fuck is Donald Trump here" moment is the bestest.

• Like 1

I think there's a new Hell on Wheels season. We kind of watch Royal Pains ever summer too. I don't entirely know why.

I watch because Reshma Shetty is pretty cute and her accent is the awesomeness.  There, I said it.

And yeah, I know that she wanted her character to share last names with her actual husband.

• Like 1

The lady and I are trying to clear off our DVR that is full of New Girl and Elementary episodes. I will be vague, so I do not have to spoiler tag.

We only have the finale of New Girl's third season left on the DVR. After a fantastic second season, this season has been more miss than hit. The writers got to the point they wanted to a bit quickly in season two, and it feels like they do not know where to go with it afterwards. I hope it was not a shark jumping incident, but the last couple of episodes that reset the table might help get this show back on track. Also, they need to reevaluate the character of Winston. He can be very cringe inducing throughout his third season.

This season of Elementary has been interesting at points when the show does character work or explores longer archs; however, I really notice the procedural aspect of this show a lot more this season. I think a show like this is smart enough to break up the formula and bring some great surprises instead of each episode's case ending with Scooby Doo exposition.