DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

In actual football news - so after Ryan Fitzpatrick got the Texans job, they then shipped TJ Yates to the Falcons

And the Jets released crazy Mike Goodson

So they asked the Skins trademark attorney if you would go up to a native american and use the word Redskin and his response was '"That's not what this case is about. It's what OUR word means."

Isn't this the football equivalent of the guy on Clerks 2 trying to bring the term porch monkey back because it wasn't offensive to him

• Like 1

In honor of David Howard, former top aid to the DC mayoral office, I suggest we name the team the Washington Niggards. There's no way that goes poorly, right?

Also, I'm a bit surprised that Snyder hasn't tried to sue the Patent Office for libel like he has everyone else.

I think we all know who Dan Snyder needs to bring in to calm down the issues:

Redskins-Indian-Chief-Dodson.jpg

In case you don't know who that is, this guy a "a full-blooded American Inuit chief originally from the Aleutian Tribes of Alaska" was on the Skins propaganda show "Redskins nation" with Larry Michael telling us how the name "Redskins" was a term on endearment kind of like the black guys using the N word to each other.  It was then found out that the reason he was called "Chief" because it was his nickname at the place he works and the bar.   In fact it was debatable on whether he was a Native American to begin with   :lol:

That was the point that I realized that the Skins were completely fucked and should just change the name.  

That guy is 1/4 Aleut, but there is no such thing as an "American Inuit from the Aleutian Tribes of Alaska," apparently those words mean anything in that order.  There are Inuits, there are Aleutians, they don't really have anything to do with each other.  It is like me saying I'm an Irish Nigerian from the Australian tribes of China.  That guy is just a fan named Steve who doesn't want them to change the name.

• Like 1

It's really just the name Redskins that is the offensive part, their uniforms or logos are nothing wrong with them.  If they just simply changed their name to the Washington Natives it would be the only change that they would have to do, they would be able to keep their logo without the Redskins name attached to it.

Bills aren't moving to LA, LA is still too far away from getting a team.  They may one day more than likely get one, but the NFL said nothing can move there until the stadium is built.  Plus, the Bills ownership now won't sell to someone that plans on moving them that far away.  People are nuts if they don't think Ralph Wilson left instructions or there wasn't already something behind the scenes 'in the works' to have someone local get it, he was very "pro-Buffalo".  The people selling the team are Buffaloians (is that a word?), not investors just looking to make the most money possible.

Honestly if their events in Toronto had gotten any interest at all I could have seen them moving there, but they never did well so I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to try to move them there.  The crowd was always apathetic towards the games, even the players described the games there as an away game.

Since it'll probably take at least a good 2 or 3 years for all the appeals to happen (and I can see it going all the way to the Supreme Court), it's sort of a moot point to get all worked up over a name change anyway.  And besides, considering how badly the USPTO does its job if you go by all the hilarious court cases in the rocket docket of East Tyler, TX, I wouldn't be shocked if it's overturned.

Estadio Azteca is big enough to host a Super Bowl with seating for 100,000 plus. There would be scheduling issues to resolve with Club America of Liga MX and field issues as a result of making it a multipurpose field. But if Carlos Slim has a few extra pennies he wants to toss the NFL's way after winning back to back soccer titles with Leon and as a means of increasing his notoriety and business profile, it could be interesting. He is the first person I would think that has the cash in Mexico to possibly make that work.

And as an added bonus, any time the opposing team kicks off or punts, there could be the world famous "PUTO" chant to make things lively.

Estadio Azteca is big enough to host a Super Bowl with seating for 100,000 plus. There would be scheduling issues to resolve with Club America of Liga MX and field issues as a result of making it a multipurpose field. But if Carlos Slim has a few extra pennies he wants to toss the NFL's way after winning back to back soccer titles with Leon and as a means of increasing his notoriety and business profile, it could be interesting. He is the first person I would think that has the cash in Mexico to possibly make that work.

And as an added bonus, any time the opposing team kicks off or punts, there could be the world famous "PUTO" chant to make things lively.

Until someone points out that "puto" translates to "faggot"...

It's really just the name Redskins that is the offensive part, their uniforms or logos are nothing wrong with them.  If they just simply changed their name to the Washington Natives it would be the only change that they would have to do, they would be able to keep their logo without the Redskins name attached to it.

To some people, it's the only offensive part. To many others, the whole concept of a Native American mascot is offensive. Check out #NotYourMascot.

I am one who thinks that some people do get too easily offended and are looking for something to be outraged about. But it seems reasonable to me for Native Americans to express their wish not to be seen as mascots and offended by their use as such. Especially when you think of things like Chief Wahoo, people in redface, and shit like the Tomahawk Chop and chant.

Vince Neil has gotten approval for an Arena franchise for Las Vegas.  He wants to name the team the Outlaws.  

I'll guarantee you Vince was dumb enough not to renew the copyrights.