DVDVR Message Board

Justified

Jrag

I marked out when Boyd stopped playing nice with Raylan. The standard Crowder move would have been to save the Nicky Augustine card for a more important occasion, but this felt more like Boyd simply hitting his limit with that sanctimonious bastard.

Raylan is such a smug, self-righteous bastard it's hard not to root for Boyd.

And Boyd is a smug, arrogant prick. Seriously I can understand being annoyed with Raylan at times, but lets not pretend Boyd isn't just as bad if not worse.

I root for Raylan, Boyd and Wynn Duffy to give up all this nonsense and ride off into the sunset together.

I am completely in favor of this ending.

I marked out when Boyd stopped playing nice with Raylan. The standard Crowder move would have been to save the Nicky Augustine card for a more important occasion, but this felt more like Boyd simply hitting his limit with that sanctimonious bastard.

Raylan is such a smug, self-righteous bastard it's hard not to root for Boyd.

And Boyd is a smug, arrogant prick. Seriously I can understand being annoyed with Raylan at times, but lets not pretend Boyd isn't just as bad if not worse.

I root for Raylan, Boyd and Wynn Duffy to give up all this nonsense and ride off into the sunset together.

I am completely in favor of this ending.

Who would you rather have a beer with? Anyway, I said it's hard not to root for Boyd, I didn't say that I actually root for him. Both are eminently hateable.

As far as having a beer with one or the other Raylan would guarantee a boring evening and stick you with the tab. Conversation with Boyd would be on a much higher level, but disagreeing with him might get you killed.

Surprised that nobody has talked about the finale yet.

I really liked a lot of things about this episode, and I hope this show didn't telegraph how the final season is going down. (Boyd dead, Raylan getting the walking off into the sunset moment.) I bet it won't take Boyd long to figure out that Ava is working for the feds.

Darrell Crowe wasn't up to par with the previous big bads of the series to me, but his death was pretty great.

I sure hope we get at least a few more Dickie and Dewey segments next season. Like..what if they break out of prison together and go on a "rampage."

Spending so much time on Ava's story definitely makes sense now.  Interesting set up for the final season.

They keep ending seasons with different versions of "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive."  My money is on that being true for both Boyd and Raylan.

• Like 1

Yeah, him telling Winona that they will be a family in a couple of weeks only to reneg seems like something a doomed person would do.  He just doesn't see the forest for the trees.  He has dodged about 150 bullets since returning to Harlan, and he just doesn't realize that him being alive is closer to dumb luck than actual skill.  Boyd understands that he is doomed and has accepted it.  Raylan literally has a tombstone with his name on it, and can't see that it was put there for a reason.

I've always contended that Raylan's story ends with him dead by violence. I'm not sure if they have the cajones to go through with that as the ending to the series, but there really is no other end for this guy.

Anyway, this was kind of a weird finale, because it felt more like the prologue for the final season than a real climax of any kind. This whole season felt like a prologue, really, or more like a part 1 of the final season than most of the shows that have actually advertised their last two seasons as halves of one final season. If it wasn't for the fact that we know next season is the endgame, I'd really be worried about the future of the show. But parts of this season were still strong, and once they started clearing the deck of excess characters and getting back to Body and Raylan over the last few episodes, they found their spark again; so I guess I'm a little more optimistic that they can get it back together for a killer final season.

I've read Yost's interview with Sepinwall, and I totally understand what he and his team were getting at with the Ava storyline this year. I'm sure the new, independent Ava will be a joy to watch next year. But that doesn't make the prison stuff less of a chore to have sat through.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I'd say that was handily the bleakest episode in the whole run of the series. And that was just the season premiere! I'd question how it could get much bleaker over the course of the final 12 episodes, but I already see we have Garrett Dillahunt in full Mr. Wolcott mode, so throat slashings are certain to follow.

• Like 1