DVDVR Message Board

Justified

Jrag

Interestingly, I haven't seen many preseason reviews, which leads me to believe that some big stuff happens in the premiere and they can't really talk about the first few episodes without spoiling it. Especially after what Feinberg hinted at on his podcast with Sepinwall.

So the premier was...not great. There was just way too much stuff going on. I think Boyd & Duffy going to Detroit and Raylan going to Miami could have been two separate episodes. Each of those stories had good individual moments, but as a whole, I don't think either of them worked because of the way they were crammed together and not given any room to breathe.

I felt like there were a dozen new characters thrown at me, but none of them were given enough time to shine. The only one that really registered strongly with me was Alicia Witt, and that's probably because Alicia Witt.

Not really sold on Michael Rappaport in this role yet, but I wasn't really into Mike O'Malley as Nicky Augustine when he first showed up last season either, and he was fucking awesome.

On the plus side, Dewey's reintroduction was about as perfect as it could be. The Naked Marco Polo sequence was quintessential Dewey.

I agree on the too many new characters on the first episode. That list of guests was pretty interesting to read though especially when you see the names of Dave Foley and Will Sasso on there. Poor Dewey gets some money, gets his above-ground pool all shot up, and it seems like Boyd and the Crowe family will be knocking at his door for his money.

when Dilly was murdered, they panned out to show somebody sitting on the dock with a hat on-- was that the guy who was trapping the gators?

Yeah that was the Haitian guy if I'm not mistaken. They intro'd a lot of characters but to be fair, quite a few people have been killed off/sent to jail the past couple of seasons. And I don't see The Crowe family being the big bads/main story arc for this season.

I think the Crowe family will be the main antagonists for most of the season, but I don't see them as the ultimate Big Bads either. For one thing, they're so low on the criminal food chain (smuggling sugar!), they're almost sympathetic. Daryl may have been making up that sob story about his daddy, but I think he really feels like he's it's his responsibility to keep his family afloat. He's a sad, desperate character.

Actually, I think there's more going on with the Haitian, Jean Baptiste, than disposing of bodies, and it wouldn't surprise me if we end up back in Miami dealing with him before the season is over. He was the devil on Daryl's shoulder that pointed him toward Harlan.

There's also the matter of Sammy Tonin getting whacked, which might bring Theo back into the mix.

And God knows what trouble Boyd & Duffy will find when they start fucking around with Mexican cartels.

What was up with all the craziness in Detroit?  That really threw me off more than anything else about the episode, but I can't complain too much because it looks like Crowder/Duffy: Super Friends is actually a thing.

I agree that there was just way too much going on.  I'm digging the Crowe family and friends, though.  I'm also interested in Boyd being a crazy person again.  He has been calm and collected for a few seasons now.

You definitely have to see the previous seasons especially the 2nd season with Margo Martindale. If you're an Amazon Prime member they have all 4 seasons available.

And God knows what trouble Boyd & Duffy will find when they start fucking around with Mexican cartels.

Kinda hoping Benito Martinez ends up being in the Mexican cartel on this show just for a reunion with Walton Goggins. Although he was just on SOA, so maybe too soon.

What in the flying fuck was going on in Detroit?!?!?  That was surreal.  "Oh, that's from last week." 

They did a lot of stuff, but also made me excited for where they're going to go this season.