DVDVR Message Board

Justified

Jrag

The Crowes remain the most unpredictable characters in Justified history.  Boyd is playing with fire on just about every front, but when Wynn Duffy is your most reliable partner you just know this is all going to shit.  

How can you stay two steps ahead of them Crowe boys when they clearly don't give no fucks about no damn steps!

Duffy is pretty reliable. Like Boyd, he's way more competent than your average tv criminal.

I think this was the first episode it really occurred to me that Rapaport is playing Daryl as kind of effete, which is an interesting shade to the character.

Really? I don't get that vibe from him at all.

Yeah, it's very subtle. I dont' mean he's playing him prissy or anything. But he definitely displays some signs of...overrefinement for his station in life. I guess you can kinda trace that back to the episode when he was quibbling over his cafe con leche.

I had kind of forgotten how big Rappaport is until the scene with the Nazi guy. He's probably a legit 6'3 or so.

Yep. I liked him okay enough up to this point, but when he stepped up beside Boyd I popped. Then he proceeded to beat the absolute dog shit out of the jacked up Nazi and I'm now fully on board.

• Like 1

I think this was the first episode it really occurred to me that Rapaport is playing Daryl as kind of effete, which is an interesting shade to the character.

Yeah, it's very subtle. I dont' mean he's playing him prissy or anything. But he definitely displays some signs of...overrefinement for his station in life. I guess you can kinda trace that back to the episode when he was quibbling over his cafe con leche.

Well he did take all of those economics classes in prison.

Well he did take all of those economics classes in prison.

Yeah, if you think it is strange that the characters on this show show signs of overrefinement for their station in life, I don't think you have been paying much attention.  Boyd Crowder is a 2 bit, coal mining, criminal, that talks like a philosophy professor.

I think it's safe to say that I pay very close attention to this show. :)

Boyd is really the only criminal character that's even close to Daryl, but even then, I would say he comports himself more like a charismatic Pentecostal preacher, and that kinda fits with what you expect out of him, given his background. Conversely, there are all sorts of little things about Daryl that don't really jive with how you'd expect that type of guy to be.

I think Daryl is a lot like Raylan, actually. They're both hillbilly types who ended up in Miami and fell in love with a more worldly lifestyle but now find themselves thrust back into the sticks by circumstance. If Boyd is the criminal reflection of who Raylan could have become if he had never left Harlan, then Daryl is the criminal reflection of the life he actually led.

And given that the fallout of Raylan's role in the Nicky Augustine execution and the question of whether or not Raylan really is a criminal after all are going to loom large over the rest of the season, and maybe the series, I don't think that's a coincidence.

As far as someone suggesting a Dewey Crowe face turn, I'm not so sure the guy with Heil Hitler across his neck is face turn material.  Plus he does some real low down shit.  At best, Dewey is Wyle E. Coyote.  You don't want to see him catch the road runner, but maybe the little umbrella actually works in shielding him from getting crushed by that boulder.

• Like 2

It really hurts my heart that Art and Raylan can't be in the same room with each other anymore. One of the great relationships on TV, ruined. But I give the show credit for having the cajones to follow through on the storyline, even if it robs me of something I love.

• Like 1

Man, Danny is going to get his psycho dumb ass killed soon.

DALE DICKEY!

Danny is the polar opposite of the usual Justified villian, he is dumb, impulsive, and wreckless.  He is basically a cigarette butt being flicked into a haystack during a drought.  Everything gets worse when he is around, no matter how much everyone else plans, and lays down their strategy, he just comes in fucks shit up and the next thing you know the forest is on fire and Bambi's mom is getting shot.

It really hurts my heart that Art and Raylan can't be in the same room with each other anymore. One of the great relationships on TV, ruined. But I give the show credit for having the cajones to follow through on the storyline, even if it robs me of something I love.

I'm kind of glad Boyd just shot Cousin Johnny in the head too. I kind of groaned on the inside when Boyd said that Johnny was going to die in the desert but not that one. Thought it'd give Johnny a chance to escape or talk Boyd down.

Didn't Daryl and Danny kind of share a look before they mowed those other guys down; like it was something they had planned out? I'll have to go back and rewatch.

Oh yeah, Daryl gave him the go ahead to start shooting. I watched it twice just to make sure.

Didn't Daryl and Danny kind of share a look before they mowed those other guys down; like it was something they had planned out? I'll have to go back and rewatch.

Oh yeah, Daryl gave him the go ahead to start shooting. I watched it twice just to make sure.

Well in that case, replace Danny with Florida Crowes.  Who knew that Dewey Crowe was the paragon of that family.

I'm officially starting to worry about this season. We're now 8 episodes in, and all the disparate storylines aren't really coalescing like they usually are around this point in the season.

Boyd's story, in particular, is almost comical in its redundancy at this point. He's like a cat chasing a laser pointer with this dope.