DVDVR Message Board

Justified

Jrag

I can't wait till Wynn Duffy finally gets off the sidelines. Surely, they didn't make him a series regular just so he could show up in one scene an episode and comment wryly on the proceedings. Not that this isn't an acceptable use for Wynn Duffy, but they have to have something more for him coming down the pipe.

Same here. I'd love for him to have more of a role but if he becomes more active, I'm afraid he'll be just another Raylan victim. I can live with Duffy spouting off one-liners during a tense showdown. "That's kind of a thing with these Kentucky Marshals." There should be an option on the Blu-Rays to listen to the episode with Jere Burns doing commentary as Duffy.

We need to talk more about this episode and this show in general.  That scene with Art in the diner was fucking perfect TV.  Also, Boyd Crowder has to be one of the most competent TV criminals of all time.

Edit:  O YEAH AND WOOD HARRIS IS BACK!

• Like 1

We need to talk more about this episode and this show in general.  That scene with Art in the diner was fucking perfect TV.  Also, Boyd Crowder has to be one of the most competent TV criminals of all time.

Edit:  O YEAH AND WOOD HARRIS IS BACK!

That's a great point. His schemes are generally well-thought out. Another thing that stands out is that his henchmen are generally competent too. That's a thing that kills me about some tv villains/criminals. They're smart but they surround themselves with bumbling idiots. Boyd's guys are backwoods hicks but they pretty much do what they're told and don't deviate from his gameplans. Plus, Boyd doesn't overly rely on his henchmen. For instance, another show would have had Boyd send one of his lackeys to kill Paxton and possibly botch it to keep the story going. Boyd just did it himself and then cleaned up the loose end with the Deputy by having the guy with black lung take him out.

I'm still not sold on the Crowes being the ultimate baddies in this one, even if the guys I suspected might step up into that spot are dead or in custody now, but I do like them as characters. They're very different from most of the big bads on the show in that they have no real scheme. They're the barnacles of the criminal underworld, just casting about, looking for something solid to latch onto, and making a mess of things in the process.

I still haven't had a chance to watch the 4th episode, so I was a little confused by Boyd cutting out Paxton's wife.

The diner scene was the best thing I have seen on tv in forever.

Surprised this episode went down the way it did as

Tudyk seemed to be set up to be an utter and complete badass

I agree. His death was pretty abrupt. Then again going against Raylan and Art is basically like DiBiase being caught alone in the ring with the MegaPowers at the end of Summerslam 88. No matter how good he was, he was eating an elbow and a legdrop.

Honestly,

I thought Art was going to bite it.

I thought that Art looking into what happened to Augustine was setting him up to get taken out. This would have built up Tudyk as this season's "big bad" for Raylan to avenge, but would make it seem like Raylan "got away" with setting up Augustine. Then, next season the US Atty is revealed to know what Art knew.

Ah well...

They already did the whole "Art doesn't trust Raylan" arc in season 2, no need to rehash it again. I think this time around Art is pissed that Raylan didn't come to him for help dealing with Detroit problem.

James

I think you're misreading it. The "Art doesn't trust Raylan" arc never ended. If you've been paying close attention, Art has been constantly giving Raylan the ole' side-eye ever since the money thing in season 2. This is the payoff. This is serious shit, and Art is righteously pissed about the position Raylan has put him in. His options are to turn a blind eye to the fact that Raylan had some level of participation in a mob execution, compromising himself ethically, or to investigate Raylan and throw his whole office into disarray, not to mention tainting his own career. It's a big, terrible decision he's going to have to make.

Anyway, I'm amazed we made it all the way to season 5 before they finally got around to making the shitty cell reception in the Kentucky hills a plot point. The cell coverage on this show has always been preposterous. I'm guessing somebody from the show finally took a field trip out there and realized you can't get a signal for shit in that country.

THAT THERE POOL WAS MY DREAM.

• Like 2

I watched this show for the first or second time last night (may have watched the pilot).  It.... interested me less than the terrible Transformers movie than preceded it on FX. 

I am, however, very impressed by the cast's dedication to their roles as evidenced by the fact that everyone except maybe Alicia Witt and Amy Smart has ridiculous hair.

And Boyd and his guys again prove to be the smartest criminals on tv. Boyd immediately picks up on Hot Rod's signal that something's wrong. Jimmy doesn't go in all half-cocked after the Skinheads and gives Boyd useful intel. Carl handles the Crow situation pretty well and Boyd ends up using the Crows to his advantage.

The Crowes remain the most unpredictable characters in Justified history.  Boyd is playing with fire on just about every front, but when Wynn Duffy is your most reliable partner you just know this is all going to shit.  

How can you stay two steps ahead of them Crowe boys when they clearly don't give no fucks about no damn steps!