DVDVR Message Board

Justified

Jrag

I've pretty much given up hope on the disparate elements of this season every coming together into a cohesive, satisfying whole, and I'm just resolving to appreciate the good isolated moments that work well and crossing my fingers that they'll get it together again for the final season.

To that end, awesome things that happened this episode:

DICKIE BENNETT. Jeremy Davies seemed about as excited to be playing this part again as Dickie was to see Dewey. He delivered two awesome scenes, and Olyphant was right there with him in their shared scene. Those characters have such a great dynamic, and it's too bad this was probably the last time we'll see them together. One of my favorite little details on this show is the way the lawmen consistently get awed by the criminals, either by their stupidity or their awesomeness, and you could tell Raylan was impressed with Dickie's point-by-point breakdown of how he should disappear up his own ass.

Danny died. Thankfully. Awesomely. Hilariously. The "21-foot rule" turned out to be one of the better running gags the show has had.

Wynn Duffy kinda did something. Not exactly awesome, but appreciated nonetheless. Although this means we have YET ANOTHER new character thrown into the mix in a season that already has way too many characters floating around. I don't even remember the last time Tim was on the show.

Sorry. Almost slipped into focusing on the negative again.

The good news is Dewey is still alive!  I almost imagine at this point with all the shit he's going through, he may just walk back to jail like John Goodman and his brother in Raising Arizona.

I'm kind of wondering where they're going with Eva and Boyd.  Her key to safety is to get the drugs.  She pushes Boyd away, so even though she kills Mother Superior, if Boyd doesn't come back, she's got no dope.  Boyd gets the little shit guard, but lets him go.

DICKIE BENNETT. Jeremy Davies seemed about as excited to be playing this part again as Dickie was to see Dewey. He delivered two awesome scenes, and Olyphant was right there with him in their shared scene. Those characters have such a great dynamic, and it's too bad this was probably the last time we'll see them together. One of my favorite little details on this show is the way the lawmen consistently get awed by the criminals, either by their stupidity or their awesomeness, and you could tell Raylan was impressed with Dickie's point-by-point breakdown of how he should disappear up his own ass.

That was one of my favorite things about the show from minute one. I can't readily recall another series or movie where the criminals are portrayed very humanly. Even one-episode-and-you-never-see-them-again characters get the treatment. It's never just good guy must kill bad guy. Half the time I'm like "Aww man he's not such a bad guy. I'd probably let him slide this time."

Absolutely. And your post just reminded me that I hadn't read last week's EW recap with showrunner Graham Yost yet, so I read it and came across this little nugget about that Dickie/Raylan scene:

YOST: ...He gets that Dickie Bennett thing goin’ to the degree that Dickie Bennett’s putting on a performance. There was a point — and we’ve never seen this physical posture for Raylan before — when Raylan sits down at that table and puts his head in his hands and just watches. He’s never sat like that in the history of the series, I don’t think. It was just a little bit of him going, “I’m just gonna watch this guy, because this is gonna be entertaining. This is Dickie Bennett, and he’s gonna do something."

There was also this little nugget that confirmed the genuine enthusiasm I thought I picked up on from Davies in his scene with Dewey:

YOST: (Laughs) I know. I heard from Taylor and Keith that on set, the moment between them was genuinely kind of touching, that they were just so glad to see each other, and they were like boys again. And that was one of things that happened in season 3, them in the yard running around playing grab-ass. It’s the sense that they are these two kind of Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn boys, even though they’re horrible criminals. And listen, it’s Jeremy Davies and Damon Herriman: If you give them a halfway decent scene you’re gonna get a great scene.

Darryl Crowe Jr. is the single worst person ever on this show, him making Kendall implicate himself in the shooting of a U.S. Marshall is about as dispicable as it gets.  Wendy sitting there crying like an asshole when she had her son living in a whorehouse with her two murderous, douchebag brothers got on my nerves too.  When Dewey, the neo-nazi imbicicle is the epitome of your gene pool, you may be a horrible fucking family.

• Like 1

Darryl Crowe Jr. is the single worst person ever on this show, him making Kendall implicate himself in the shooting of a U.S. Marshall is about as dispicable as it gets.  Wendy sitting there crying like an asshole when she had her son living in a whorehouse with her two murderous, douchebag brothers got on my nerves too.  When Dewey, the neo-nazi imbicicle is the epitome of your gene pool, you may be a horrible fucking family.

He went from amusing and sometimes intimidating heel to complete scumbag during the last two episodes. He was basically a more imposing and more cunning version of Dewey until he beat the snot out of Wendy and then got Kendall to take the rap for shooting Art.

AT LAST. Boyd finally did something awesome again. It's been too long.

Agreed. I was getting a little tired of the trials and tribulations of Boyd Crowder so it was awesome to see him get the jump on Picker. I knew something was up with that cigarette thing when he asked the prostitute for one.

What a great episode for Boyd. Like after line he was awesome. If I was a showrunner I would be working on something for Goggins post Justified.

They sure turned Wendy Crowe from smart to dumb. Also kinda hoping Ava gets shanked to end the season. Seeing her interactions with Raylan last night it's hard to remember they were an item early in the show.

It looks like they are setting up the final season to be Raylan vs Boyd. Smart and fitting.

Lastly gotta give Michael Rappaport some props. He's grown on me as the season has progressed.

Did Dewey knife the guy who had his gator teeth? I thought I saw him clean a blade when he stands up and puts it in his pocket.

Also "would you like something to eat?"

The latter was cool, but pretty predictable. As soon as the old lady went inside I said, "She's coming out with a shotgun and Dewey will get an ass full of rock-salt." So, I was half right... I still think the rock-salt would have been funnier.

"Stop talking in the third person."  "Who?  Him?  I don't get it."

I'm kind of hoping that the season ends with a Dickie and Dewey reunion in prison as "My Best Friend" by Queen plays in the background.

Lastly gotta give Michael Rappaport some props. He's grown on me as the season has progressed.

Rappaport seems to have taken the brunt of the criticism for this lackluster season, but while Darryl has definitely been at the center of most of what hasn't been that great about this season, I don't think it's fair to him. When the writing for Darryl has been good, he has more than held his own on the show.

I just think the writing staff figured out too late in the game that Darryl worked best as a character when he was being menacing, whether that was emphasizing that Rappaport is a big dude and having him beat the hell out of people ("That kung fu shit don't work on me!") or having him be the ultimate manipulative sleazebag. Last night, he did all of that, and as a result, he added a lot of an already excellent episode, as opposed to being a drag on things.

I marked out when Boyd stopped playing nice with Raylan. The standard Crowder move would have been to save the Nicky Augustine card for a more important occasion, but this felt more like Boyd simply hitting his limit with that sanctimonious bastard.

I marked out when Boyd stopped playing nice with Raylan. The standard Crowder move would have been to save the Nicky Augustine card for a more important occasion, but this felt more like Boyd simply hitting his limit with that sanctimonious bastard.

Raylan is such a smug, self-righteous bastard it's hard not to root for Boyd.

• Like 1