DVDVR Message Board

Justified

Jrag

I concur on that being a pretty bleak episode, especially if its setting the tone for the rest of season. I was leaning on 50/50 or how things were going to end up for Raylan,. Now I'm pretty sure he is going to die, and I suspect Eva will be the one to pull the trigger.

I also love how the most awesome outcome for Dewey came at the end of what was probably my favorite Dewey episode.

In any event, Boyd sees the writing on the wall and only he needs to survive.

With the way Boyd talks about Harlan, I'm guessing that Mrs. Doc Brown is going to be buying up the land and then Boyd is getting out of there. It would seem strange if that were the case because Raylan doesn't give a shit about Harlan.

Team Boyd now and forever, but DAMN YOU!  

Best premiere ever for the show.  I've been hyping up the eventual Boyd vs Raylan shoot out for years on this board and it feels like they are prepared to stick the landing.  

Art didn't lay out option 3, which means it's bound to happen; the bullet finds both of them.

I also love how the most awesome outcome for Dewey came at the end of what was probably my favorite Dewey episode.

In any event, Boyd sees the writing on the wall and only he needs to survive.

No best possible outcome was Dewey and Dickie in jail for life as "My Best Friend" by Queen plays in the background.

And yeah, it really feels like Boyd is gonna burn the whole world to the ground and Eva maybe on that list.

Guys! I think I figured out the finale:

Like Daniel Bryan before him, Wynn Duffy will win a separate shootout in order to earn a spot in the Boyd/Raylan shootout.  He will walk out victorious, immediately enter his mobile home and turn on women's tennis.

THE END.

I've always held the belief that the "truest" ending of JUSTIFIED was Raylan dying in Harlan, because that's sort of what the series has always been about, the way your culture molds you into being a certain kind of person to satisfy its own needs - and the certain kind of person that Harlan made Raylan is pretty much destined to die by violence.

That said, Elmore Leonard very rarely wrote stories with super-sad endings where the hero died, and even though he's not writing the show, Graham Yost has said numerous times they always ask themselves, What would Elmore do? So...he's probably not going to die.

But I don't think Raylan gets the super happy ending either. Especially after seeing how dark they went in the premiere. So, being the big Leonard fan that I am, I started thinking about times he did go with a sad ending, and it hit me: the ending to his book CITY PRIMEVAL. The main character of that one, Raymond Cruz, is an obvious prototype for Raylan's anachronistic, Old West gunfighter stuck in modern times. (The main villain, Clement Mansell, was the basis for Darryl Crowe last season, so Yost is obviously familiar with the book.)

I don't want to spoil the book for anybody, but I'll just say, that's what I think the ending of the show is now. If you've read it, you know what I'm talking about.

Think back to Art's conversation with Raylan in the premiere where he lays out all the possible outcomes if Raylan forces a confrontation with Boyd (which, I mean, is obviously where this is going in the end, we all know that). There's another potential outcome, and it's the end of CITY PRIMEVAL.

So the whole time Choo Choo was onscreen, I couldn't stop thinking about Roman Reigns.

Now I need to know what Choo Choo means when he talks about the train hitting you.  It's gotta be a superman punch, right?  Or a spear.  Dammit, Reigns needs a Choo Choo chant.  Stat.

This is the most fun I have watching TV, based purely on the dialog.  Raylan asking Buddy Garrity if the black mailer had a "long-winded peculiar way of talking" was the equivalent of Big Show asking Kane at the end of the Rumble if they thought the boos were because of their heel work.  Everyone on this show uses 15 words when 3 will do, and I love every single second of it.  I know this is going to end badly for everyone involved, but man do I love all of these characters.  I'd watch a news show where Boyd and Raylan would sit around and discuss the news of the day.  Just them waxing poetic and over enunciating about the north eastern blizzard would be fantastic. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup.  But I marked out for Dickie Bennett even more.

This season is starting to lose me a little though.  Don't get me wrong, Sam Elliot has been amazing, but it feels like this story should have happened in a different season.  Or maybe it's just the focus on Ava?  It seems like Boyd should be front and center in all of this, but he is sort of hanging out around the edge of the story.

Or maybe it's just that Better Call Saul is off to such a good start that I am losing interest in other shows by default.