DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

Dave's issue with Total Divas is confusing.  He knows the show is fake but is obsessed with making sure that the "storylines" on the show is accurate. Bryan is perfect on this because he realizes it is complete bullshit and doesn't care about the details and just watches it

If you wanted to subscribe to the "Dave has a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome" theory, his stiff demeanor and hoarder-like tendencies (the paper on the floor, leaving VHS tapes laying around even though he admits he hasn't watched a VHS tape in years) in these videos is pretty good evidence in support of that theory.

Eh, he's just a wrestling fan who could clean up the floor a bit and likes to keep his old tapes instead of throwing them away for the sake of throwing them away. Nothing really wrong with it. I have tons of tapes still sitting around and I even traded in the last year for some VHS tapes.

According to vince russo new shoot with the Kayfabe commentaries WCW 2000 timeline, Meltzer said after watching the This is Your Life segement with the Rock that he would never watch wrestling again. Now it is Russo so it is probably 70% bullshit but does anyone remember him saying stuff like that. 

Didn't the This Is Your Life segment get crapped on by the IWC at the time? I think I remember Scott Keith talking about how a lot of people were getting fed up with Raw's frequent long non-wrestling segments and that This Is Your Life was the peak. I enjoyed the hell out of it but I also really liked the overly long interviews/angles that became a staple of the Attitude Era.

It was on the RAW that earned the highest overall rating of all-time (8.1), so it's possible.

Nitro was preempted that night.

Billy Gunn fought WWF Tag Team Champion Kane to a no contest at around the 5-minute mark when the Road Dogg and X-Pac came out to help Kane as he was tied upside down in the ring ropes, with Gunn and Road Dogg fighting into the crowd as X-Pac & Kane were jumped from behind by Mark Henry & D-Lo Brown, with Ivory. 

The Big Show fought Paul Bearer to a no contest at around the 3-minute mark when Show was jumped by all the members of the Ministry after calling them out.

Debra defeated WWF Women's Champion Sable (w/ Nicole Bass) to win the title via reverse decision in a bra and panties match. 

The Big Bossman pinned Test in a nightstick match at 7:03 after hitting Test in the face with the nightstick as Test attempted a sunset flip. 

Bradshaw fought Farooq to a no contest in a lumberjack match at around the 2-minute mark when Viscera and Mideon entered the ring and tried to stop the bout, with Farooq and Bradshaw shoving them out of the way until the Big Bossman came out and cooled them down.

Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco defeated Rodney & Pete Gas at 2:09 when Rodney submitted to Brisco's figure-4 as Gas submitted to Patterson's Boston Crab. Patterson & Brisco used "Real American" as their theme music. Due to pre-match stipulations, Rodney & Gas were forced to leave the WWF.

Jeff Jarrett (w/ WWF Women's Champion Debra) pinned Val Venis at 8:03 by hitting him with Debra's title belt after she slapped Venis in the face.

Ken Shamrock fought Chyna (w/ Triple H) to a no contest when Triple H and Shamrock began fighting before the bout began, with Shamrock dropping Triple H to the mat and hitting a belly to belly suplex on Chyna before storming off, upset that he was driven to the point where he would strike a woman.

WWF World Champion Steve Austin, The Rock, & Vince McMahon defeated the Undertaker, Triple H (w/ Chyna), & Shane McMahon at 4:38 when Austin pinned Shane with the Stunner. Shawn Michaels was the guest referee for the bout.

http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/May_10,_1999_Monday_Night_RAW_results

• Like 1

Billy Gunn fought WWF Tag Team Champion Kane to a no contest at around the 5-minute mark when the Road Dogg and X-Pac came out to help Kane as he was tied upside down in the ring ropes, with Gunn and Road Dogg fighting into the crowd as X-Pac & Kane were jumped from behind by Mark Henry & D-Lo Brown, with Ivory. 

The Big Show fought Paul Bearer to a no contest at around the 3-minute mark when Show was jumped by all the members of the Ministry after calling them out.

Debra defeated WWF Women's Champion Sable (w/ Nicole Bass) to win the title via reverse decision in a bra and panties match. 

The Big Bossman pinned Test in a nightstick match at 7:03 after hitting Test in the face with the nightstick as Test attempted a sunset flip. 

Bradshaw fought Farooq to a no contest in a lumberjack match at around the 2-minute mark when Viscera and Mideon entered the ring and tried to stop the bout, with Farooq and Bradshaw shoving them out of the way until the Big Bossman came out and cooled them down.

Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco defeated Rodney & Pete Gas at 2:09 when Rodney submitted to Brisco's figure-4 as Gas submitted to Patterson's Boston Crab. Patterson & Brisco used "Real American" as their theme music. Due to pre-match stipulations, Rodney & Gas were forced to leave the WWF.

Jeff Jarrett (w/ WWF Women's Champion Debra) pinned Val Venis at 8:03 by hitting him with Debra's title belt after she slapped Venis in the face.

Ken Shamrock fought Chyna (w/ Triple H) to a no contest when Triple H and Shamrock began fighting before the bout began, with Shamrock dropping Triple H to the mat and hitting a belly to belly suplex on Chyna before storming off, upset that he was driven to the point where he would strike a woman.

WWF World Champion Steve Austin, The Rock, & Vince McMahon defeated the Undertaker, Triple H (w/ Chyna), & Shane McMahon at 4:38 when Austin pinned Shane with the Stunner. Shawn Michaels was the guest referee for the bout.

This show sounds awful.

Thing is, and I'm not saying it was better or anything, but it was fast paced and hectic and certainly felt a lot quicker than recent shows (pre 3 hour) did. Obviously it was mostly dreck but there's probably some things they could take from that time to make the current show a bit less of a chore.

Essentially let the good guys go long, and keep everything else around 4 minutes and schmozz it up.

I was listening to a bit of that David Shoemaker guy - The Masked Man - on Bill Simmons' podcast, and I started wondering if Simmons ever approached Meltzer to write about wrestling for Grantland. Meltzer did a few MMA pieces for Grantland - and they haven't really covered it since he quit doing so. I wonder if he was offered a spot writing about wrestling but turned it down for fear it would bastardize the newsletter.

Simmons was asking Shoemaker about the timeline of Cena's injury, and I thought "shit, anyone who even reads wrestlingobserver.com knew Cena was gonna have to take some serious time off after SummerSlam," and Shoemaker didn't really have a clue. 

I just figure if you're gonna run wrestling coverage on a big, Disney-owned website like Grantland, you'd wanna hire the best writer possible to be writing about it, and Meltzer definitely knows the business inside and out.

I was listening to a bit of that David Shoemaker guy - The Masked Man - on Bill Simmons' podcast, and I started wondering if Simmons ever approached Meltzer to write about wrestling for Grantland. Meltzer did a few MMA pieces for Grantland - and they haven't really covered it since he quit doing so. I wonder if he was offered a spot writing about wrestling but turned it down for fear it would bastardize the newsletter.

Simmons was asking Shoemaker about the timeline of Cena's injury, and I thought "shit, anyone who even reads wrestlingobserver.com knew Cena was gonna have to take some serious time off after SummerSlam," and Shoemaker didn't really have a clue. 

I just figure if you're gonna run wrestling coverage on a big, Disney-owned website like Grantland, you'd wanna hire the best writer possible to be writing about it, and Meltzer definitely knows the business inside and out.

I feel like Meltzer is a great knowledge guy, not a great writer. Everything I've read on Grantland is super long, pretentious and inflated. Meltzer would be a horrible match.

This show sounds awful.

That is without hyperbole my favorite episode of Raw ever. The results on paper don't reflect the story of the show and yeah there's no real standout great wrestling on it but its the absolute epitome of the Attitude era in 2 hours. HBK's reveal that he was in the building and the opening segment where he made the matches is incredible. The whole set up just generated so much excitement and the pacing was SO good, it's a really exciting, fun 2 hour broadcast. 

Thing is, and I'm not saying it was better or anything, but it was fast paced and hectic and certainly felt a lot quicker than recent shows (pre 3 hour) did. Obviously it was mostly dreck but there's probably some things they could take from that time to make the current show a bit less of a chore.

Essentially let the good guys go long, and keep everything else around 4 minutes and schmozz it up.

Well yeah. But shouldn't this be the case with any wrestling show? Put the more talented guys out there longer than the lesser talented guys? Obviously plenty of people must not subscribe to this radical thinking but yeah, it seems like something everyone should follow.

The other thing to remember is that people went nuts for just about everything more often than not - even if it was a mid-card angle. 

These days the only guarantee of a hot crowd is if they're in a major market, Canada or if John Cena is agitating a large section of the audience that night. Back then, it was week in and week out of people screaming their heads off. Makes the show a lot more fun to watch.