DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

The falling out between Ospreay and Rollins started when Ospreay was boastful tweeting about how good his NJPW main events were, and Rollins responded by saying "We have a guy who can do everything you can do, better than you can, and that's Ricochet". 

Now the argument went on from there, and it's generally thought that Ospreay won (and also generally thought that they were probably at least partially working to build up a future match between the two of them), but you've got  a guy who was top gaijin in NJPW, being told "Here, you'd be a midcarder who sits in catering, or loses in under 7 minutes". No wonder he didn't want to go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Would Osprey even really improve WWE from a business POV? Would his signing boost their UK business when they already have Drew and the rest (throw in Becky and Sheamus if you want to include the ROI). 

but he might sell PPV for TK and  increase ratings (which we don’t talk about anymore). 

makes more sense for him too, schedule and money wise, on paper.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

No wonder he doesn't want to sign up with a fed where one of their top guys is happy to flame war with him on Twitter

Well, the thing about Seth Rollins...he's a tool. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Takes!

I think Ospreay is the biggest HHH-wishlist guy that he's ever failed to get. I think he's going to try the global expansion/territorial NXT thing again. Not saying that Will wouldn't be a main roster guy but I think he factored into their broader European plans. Japan and Mexico have more talent to poach.

I also think either A) they didn't know Will was this good of a promo and they're pissed about it, or, B) they knew Will was this good of a promo and they're pissed about it. I am the furthest thing from an Ospreay guy but his mic work is leaps and bounds better than I assumed it would be and it makes Will way more valuable than Okada and Mercedes right off the bat.

Last take - Ospreay vs. Seth on Twitter was 90% a work, and WWE guys are gonna continue to start fake Twitter beef with potential future signees so they can score an early feud.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

It's all a work man. Trips calls Ospreay lazy, Ospreay says Trips slept his way to the top, Punk buries AEW in an interview, AEW airs the All In footage, man they're working a new wrestling war to pop the ratings homies...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If he were with WWE, he probably working a similar schedule of doing an interview one week on TV and wrestling the next week rinse repeat. When you only have five or six matches per TV show, how many people are wrestling EVERY week? So if you're not wrestling on TV every week, that leaves the two house shows. For majority of the year, it's the supershows which include both brands. How many people are working those? 15-20 people? It can't be that many. 

This sounded suspect to me so I did an experiment and picked a random WWE and AEW wrestler who seem to be fairly active in each company (Dom Mysterio and Orange Cassidy) and checked how many matches they have worked since the start of 2023. Dom worked 135, Orange worked 86. Given that Orange worked basically every single AEW house show, the Jericho cruise and a few indy dates to get to said number that's probably close to the AEW upper limit, so while it isn't nothing it is still less than 2/3 of the alternative.

Granted this is very unscientific but a busy WWE wrestler seems to clearly be working more than a busy AEW one, and I see no reason Ospreay wouldn't be busy unless he negotiated very well.

EDIT: Also unless I am confusing this with someone else Rollins apologized to Will years ago re: the twitter stuff and they've been complimentary towards each other in the years since.

Edited by username

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Would Osprey even really improve WWE from a business POV?

They don't care. They're a vacuum. They consume anything wrestling-related in sight if doesn't make them hack it back up. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, username said:

This sounded suspect to me so I did an experiment and picked a random WWE and AEW wrestler who seem to be fairly active in each company (Dom Mysterio and Orange Cassidy) and checked how many matches they have worked since the start of 2023. Dom worked 135, Orange worked 86. Given that Orange worked basically every single AEW house show, the Jericho cruise and a few indy dates to get to said number that's probably close to the AEW upper limit, so while it isn't nothing it is still less than 2/3 of the alternative.

Granted this is very unscientific but a busy WWE wrestler seems to clearly be working more than a busy AEW one, and I see no reason Ospreay wouldn't be busy unless he negotiated very well.

EDIT: Also unless I am confusing this with someone else Rollins apologized to Will years ago re: the twitter stuff and they've been complimentary towards each other in the years since.

Yeah, you carefully select one wrestler anything sounds suspect. Shit, Dom has 29 matches this year. He is clearly the high number. He is probably above and beyond any wrestler anywhere. Everyone else checking several people has between 10 to 20 ish.

Nakamura hasn't had more than 72 matches since before the pandemic. Damian Priest had 100 matches last year but also hasn't wrestled more than 84 or even close to that in several years beyond that. Sami Zayn had 94 last year but 78 and 55 prior to that. Gunther had 96 and then 83. Obviously while signed to NXT UK, he wrestled once a month if you average it out. Was Gunther in semi retirement? Cody wrestled 100+ last year but look at the amount of matches in his prior WWE run. He was doing between 160 to 190 matches a year. 119 was his low in a healthy year. That would be close to the top number for a WWE guy or girl nowadays.

And that's essentially my point. We are not talking the old WWF/WWE schedule. In addition, going back to one of my points pages back, why are you trying to make a Will Ospreay wrestle that much anyway? A Dom or an Austin Theory should be getting valuable ring time. 

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, you carefully select one wrestler anything sounds suspect. Shit, Dom has 29 matches this year. He is clearly the high number. He is probably above and beyond any wrestler anywhere. Everyone else checking several people has between 10 to 20 ish.

Nakamura hasn't had more than 72 matches since before the pandemic. Damian Priest had 100 matches last year but also hasn't wrestled more than 84 or even close to that in several years beyond that. Sami Zayn had 94 last year but 78 and 55 prior to that. Gunther had 96 and then 83. Obviously while signed to NXT UK, he wrestled once a month if you average it out. Was Gunther in semi retirement? Cody wrestled 100+ last year but look at the amount of matches in his prior WWE run. He was doing between 160 to 190 matches a year. 119 was his low in a healthy year. That would be close to the top number for a WWE guy or girl nowadays.

And that's essentially my point. We are not talking the old WWF/WWE schedule. In addition, going back to one of points pages back, why are you trying to make a Will Ospreay wrestle that much anyway? A Dom or an Austin Theory should be getting valuable ring time. 

I had checked to and honestly its impressive how much Cody Rhodes is wrestling. And not just wrestling but putting the extra effort in being the super friendly fan favorite at every event (at the house show I went to, during intermission he signed autographs for anyone close to the guard rail). While I think Cody is a little carny sometimes (who isn't?), the work he is putting into his current run is top notch, definitely maximum effort to show he's ready to be the face of the biggest wrestling promotion in the world.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Would Osprey even really improve WWE from a business POV? Would his signing boost their UK business when they already have Drew and the rest (throw in Becky and Sheamus if you want to include the ROI). 

but he might sell PPV for TK and  increase ratings (which we don’t talk about anymore). 

makes more sense for him too, schedule and money wise, on paper.

I think the way WWE is now, they don't need really name brand guys. When they signed guys like AJ and Nakamura, it was purely for "fantasy" workrate matchups. Same with the former Walter. Would WWE be in the same position as they are now if they never signed those guys? Pretty much. I think Paul wants to cater to critical and commercial appeal. It's the Oscar and Golden Globe appeal but I want do the business of the Marvel universe back when every movie was a smash hit at the BO or something akin to a movie doing a billion worldwide. We have to have someone break the star ratings but also we can do amazing TV ratings week in and week out. He wants to cover the market understandably.

Thing is you won't be able to sign everyone especially when there is only but so much TV time and title belts to go around. Everyone cannot have primo spots. There are guys like Punk and Cody who will pretty much have a top spot anywhere. The Miros and Andrades and Malakai Blacks of the world...are you guaranteed anything? Maybe third from the bottom match on a WWE PLE or AEW PPV if you're wrestling at all.

• Like 1

My updated 2024 MOTY list after WrestleMania weekend:

10. Bayley vs. IYO SKY. WWE WrestleMania XL, 7th April 2024.

9. Eddie Kingston vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 3rd March 2024.

8. Tama Tonga vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024.

7. Blue Panther/Ultimo Guerrero/Mistico/Volador Jr vs. Bryan Danielson/Jon Moxley/Claudio Castagnoli/Matt Sydal. CMLL's Homenaje a Dos Leyendas, 29th March 2024. 

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Katsuyori Shibata. AEW Collison, 16th March 2024.

6. Mark Briscoe vs. Eddie Kingston. ROH Supercard of Honor, 6th April 2024.

5. Sami Zayn vs. Gunther. WWE WrestleMania XL, 6th April 2024.

4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. *****.

3. Sting/Darby Allin vs. The Young Bucks. AEW Revolution, 3rd March 2024. *****.

2. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka. 11th February 2024. *****.

1. Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns. WWE WrestleMania XL. 7th April 2024. *****.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

My updated 2024 MOTY list after WrestleMania weekend:

10. Bayley vs. IYO SKY. WWE WrestleMania XL, 7th April 2024.

9. Eddie Kingston vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution, 3rd March 2024.

8. Tama Tonga vs. Shingo Takagi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024.

7. Blue Panther/Ultimo Guerrero/Mistico/Volador Jr vs. Bryan Danielson/Jon Moxley/Claudio Castagnoli/Matt Sydal. CMLL's Homenaje a Dos Leyendas, 29th March 2024. 

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Katsuyori Shibata. AEW Collison, 16th March 2024.

6. Mark Briscoe vs. Eddie Kingston. ROH Supercard of Honor, 6th April 2024.

5. Sami Zayn vs. Gunther. WWE WrestleMania XL, 6th April 2024.

4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. *****.

3. Sting/Darby Allin vs. The Young Bucks. AEW Revolution, 3rd March 2024. *****.

2. Zack Sabre Jr vs. Bryan Danielson. NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka. 11th February 2024. *****.

1. Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns. WWE WrestleMania XL. 7th April 2024. *****.

Likely my list will have new entries with the upcoming AEW Dynasty.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And that's essentially my point. We are not talking the old WWF/WWE schedule. In addition, going back to one of points pages back, why are you trying to make a Will Ospreay wrestle that much anyway? A Dom or an Austin Theory should be getting valuable ring time. 

To your point, hardly anyone is working a work every day schedule anymore anyway. The most anyone worked in 2023 (per Cagematch, anyway), was Fuminori Abe with 224 matches, then after that you have a glut of Dragon Gate folks at 170ish.

If folks are gonna boil things down to how many matches a year people work then I'm gonna start a campaign for Kaori Yoneyama to get signed. Almost 200 matches a year! She'll work you to DEATH DEATH DEATH YAMA DEATH

Edited by Stefanie Sparkleface
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Re: WWE schedule talk, I didn't see the presser so I'm not sure if there was any opportunity for it, but it would've been nice if whoever was given that answer by HHH asked a follow-up about that schedule being at least partially responsible for killing hundreds of performers in the '80s and '90s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can see him totally inserting his foot with a comment on how that was drugs instead, not realizing the instant comeback is "well they had to take drugs because..." Which results in him saying "well I didn't take drugs" and it turns into a serious argument.

It would be funny if anybody in the press pool had a brain and a set of balls/ovaries. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1