DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/6 - 3/12/2024 - The Last Great American Dynasty

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Okada will hear some boos if acts like the Asian wrestling stereotype, pretends he doesn't understand English; ceremonial salt, Asian mist.

Please god no

• Like 1

Good lord, they're actually gonna make me like the heel authority figures aren't they? Okada as the Bucks' muscle, plus Matt using Eddie's money to do his own rain-maker thing (and also making sure to recover every last bill), and the Cody entrance... I also love the decision to bring Okada in as a heel. Not every big debut can or should get the huge babyface push. Reminds me of Cole debuting as a heel right before Danielson. The long game is obviously Omega/Okada with a Sting/Hogan build and, uh, that's gonna be pretty great.

The rush-job on Joe/Wardlow gives me hope Swerve will be getting his belt soon.

Kris Statlander is real good, yall. She beat the brakes off Riho yet still made the loss convincing.

Will Ospreay is HIM. Basically turning the clock back 10 years on Kenny Omega. He's gonna be a perfect ace for AEW.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Okada will hear some boos if he acts like the Asian wrestling stereotype, pretends he doesn't understand English; ceremonial salt, Asian mist.

Remember the rules for Asian (Japanese) wrestlers: either sneaky and EVIL or WACKY.

Comment from my wife during the Elite/Bucks/Okada promo:
"AEW is more for the hardcore fans, I have no idea who this guy is (Okada) but everyone else seems to know him and whomever else new they bring out, I like that. WWE is more for the casual fans, their stories are duuuuuuuuuumb."

Speaking of which, time for the Buck's Jerk-Ass Hat Watch, this week's choice: TRILBY

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

The Bucks parodying Tony Khan was spot on.

Do any of the ROH title holders ever win on tv?

I hope this angle between Eddie and the Bucks continues to evolve with Eddie continuing to pay money in advance for his fines, only for the Bucks to decide they're giving him a makeover and he'll now be referred to as Eddie Money. TK even forking out for the rights to Take Me Home Tonight. That'll be the thing that gets him over the top, daddy.

+1 for a 32 team international invitational double elimination brass knuckles battle royale come as you are tournament for the vacant straps held entirely on ROH

• Haha 1

Will Ospreay vs. Kyle Fletcher was King vs. Armor King in Tekken and I don't give a fuck what that implies because I loved it and the crowd did, too.  

Stat is a wonderful base for Riho and the two of them really clicked.  Great match.

Okada and the Bucks actually makes sense.  I like Okada as a smug prick.  Lots to work with there.  

It's been so long now, but I thought Kyle O'Reilly was truly amazing right up until he was sidelined with those injuries.   So happy to see him back.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

If they do Danielson/Osprey and Kingston/Okada at Dynasty, it’s going be really tempting for me to drive to St Louis for that. 

That's gonna be so killer - though, I do think we might first make a quick pit stop at Kingston/Danielson(who now respects him)/a partner vs. Okada/Bucks.

Looking at the Okada/Bucks alliance through the lense of the tag tournament: there's a story to tell between the Bucks and Okada's former buddies from CHAOS, Best Friends for sure. I also think there's a strong possibility based on the Bucks' promo that we get a Bucks vs Hangman/Omega rematch.

This was an interesting show because, I'll be honest: the first ~20 minutes pissed me off immensely. Three of my absolute least favorite WWF/E tropes in one segment (a 20 min opening monologue, a match booked for 'right here tonight in ___,' and feuding tag partners) looking like its some kind of cross promotion between NXT 2.0 and Hot Wheels...

And then a funny thing happened: the rest of the show was killer!! Seriously, I don't have a damn thing to complain about - if anyone ever catches me crying about the color of the ropes again, remind me Okada is here and things are gonna be ok

9/10 show - just what the doc ordered after a big PPV

(though I gotta say once again - if we're gonna keep up this Sunday PPV nonsense, I think it might behoove AEW/WBD  to explore putting Collision on Monday night - capitalize on the months with no Raw, AND get that immediate PPV follow-up while the buzz is still ... buzzing).

Edit: Also I have to give all the props in the world to Hook/B Cage - they really over delivered here, especially days removed from the awesome Sting match under similar rules

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Evil Otto said:

Will Ospreay vs. Kyle Fletcher was King vs. Armor King in Tekken and I don't give a fuck what that implies because I loved it and the crowd did, too.  

King from Tekken is who Brian Cage's gear was homaging.

The thing about the Hollaholla tag match opener was, they didn't do the trope of making it the main event and teasing if Swerve and Joe could coexist all night. It just happened, and neither Joe nor Swerve actually made any attempt at coexisting. No double teams, only one tag, and that was involuntary. Taven and Bennett are presented as weak opponents who rely on distraction and interference, so the "Top tag team shouldn't lose to two singles guy" rule doesn't apply here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This was an interesting show because, I'll be honest: the first ~20 minutes pissed me off immensely. Three of my absolute least favorite WWF/E tropes in one segment (a 20 min opening monologue, a match booked for 'right here tonight in ___,' and feuding tag partners) looking like its some kind of cross promotion between NXT 2.0 and Hot Wheels...

This is where the mute button and the selective attention span are your friends. Zone out on the computer (or your phone) while the crap happens and you're good. Unfortunately if you do this for WWE you really have to keep your eyes peeled for any select good parts that will be overwhelmed by the suck. 

• Like 2

I finished watching last night and I had this reflection. The four pillars of AEW were a re huge part of 2023 as we went into spring; a year later 2 of them are off TV all together, one just got suspended, and the last one (Darby) is coming off a huge program. And it does not matter. But when Max returns - and he will, it will be good. But AEW re-invents itself pretty well. 

• Like 1

I tapped out about 935. Too tired. Really enjoyed what I saw. My new(ish) lady friend is a good sport and let me explain the “enemies/partners” trope from the show opener. Whoever said that it was much more palatable bc they didn’t milk it all night was dead on. I’m also ok with long opening promo segments on episodes immediately after PPV’s. It’s like a show recap on a tv show before the next episode. If they do it every week, it’s gonna be an issue.

RIP in peace to Hook’s momentum. 

Christian Cage’s whole deal works so well. I’m looking forward to how he shenanigans out of the I Quit match. 

Interested to see how this tag tourney unfolds. I still like the “lethal lottery” idea the best. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Unfortunately if you do this for WWE you really have to keep your eyes peeled for any select good parts that will be overwhelmed by the suck. 

Is that still true, though? I jumped ship to AEW when it started and haven't been sufficiently dissatisfied with it to jump back, so I have no direct knowledge. But I occasionally pop into the WWE folder here, and I got the impression its shows had improved significantly since then.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Is that still true, though? I jumped ship to AEW when it started and haven't been sufficiently dissatisfied with it to jump back, so I have no direct knowledge. But I occasionally pop into the WWE folder here, and I got the impression its shows had improved significantly since then.

They have but if you don't like the WWE house style it's still a tough go. Jey Uso is the wrestling opposite of someone like Will Ospreay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

There's a lot of good stuff on WWE shows but there's also just a lot of it. I have RAW on for three hours but don't watch it the whole time. The only show of theirs that I watch all the way through is NXT. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Ehh. It’s still overproduced corporate nonsense featuring a handful of incredibly gifted entertainers and 75 people doing the same thing the same way. Still too focused on buzzwords and moments and “stories” that are way too complex and take wayyyy too long to play out. But, at least hhh isn’t a completely reprehensible human…

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

https://theubj.com/uae/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Kazuchika-Okada-AEW.jpg

Things you love to see. Great getting this on my birthday.

38 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Liking the new AEW logo and AEW Dynamite set. The AEW logo without the border and All Elite Wrestling will take getting used to.

Gotta get a double-Natch-quote for this one:

1) happy birthday dude! Hope it's a great one

2) hard agree. I remember when they first changed the border from gray to white, I think you and I were among the first to be like "Aww, what the hell man." I like the symmetry of it, but there's something peculiar to me about taking the words out - the only other time we saw that was when Collision started, and it was understandable/explainable due to the Punk beef. I don't hate it at all, but something about it has that kinda weird, "branding" feel for lack of a better term. I'm sure it will grow on me, though, probably much more than the other changes (and it was nice to see the gold 'E' back on some of the ringside stuff).

Edit: FWIW, they kept the logo the same on the AEW on TBS bug in the corner, but it's also plausible that was merely an oversight

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Gotta get a double-Natch-quote for this one:

1) happy birthday dude! Hope it's a great one

2) hard agree. I remember when they first changed the border from gray to white, I think you and I were among the first to be like "Aww, what the hell man." I like the symmetry of it, but there's something peculiar to me about taking the words out - the only other time we saw that was when Collision started, and it was understandable/explainable due to the Punk beef. I don't hate it at all, but something about it has that kinda weird, "branding" feel for lack of a better term. I'm sure it will grow on me, though, probably much more than the other changes (and it was nice to see the gold 'E' back on some of the ringside stuff).

Edit: FWIW, they kept the logo the same on the AEW on TBS bug in the corner, but it's also plausible that was merely an oversight

Thank you, pal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is where the mute button and the selective attention span are your friends. Zone out on the computer (or your phone) while the crap happens and you're good. Unfortunately if you do this for WWE you really have to keep your eyes peeled for any select good parts that will be overwhelmed by the suck. 

Oh yeah dude, definitely not bad tactics, and as you alluded to, that was basically the way I consumed WWE by the end. It's just one of those things that's like, a slight bummer because the M.O. on Wed/Fri/Sat has historically been "Inject every second into my veins" thus far. Even the goofy shit was at least *different* - I'll take a million Brandi Rhodes Nightmare Collective promos or Cracker Barrel matches over Swerve and them having to give Shakespearean soliloquies.

But again, to end this on a positive note: despite my being a baby about some of the visual and formatting choices made, they turned around and gave us Okada, the wild Hook/Cage match, and THAT main event - if that means tuning out for 1/8th of the show, I guess so be it

The "buffet" just has a couple more options now, and that's ok

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath