DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/14 - 2/20/2024 - When A Hangman Loves A Woman

I think the big knock on Taven and Bennett is that their presentation is usually pretty dull, not that they're bad in the ring. They remind me of ReDragon, except they aren't quite at the level where they can pull off a "wrestling speaks for itself" gimmick. Still, Taven's definitely the KOR of the team who has a much higher singles ceiling and is generally underrated. I appreciated that the graphics department found a suitably psychotic looking picture of him for this match and he was a great choice for a TV main with OC who always delivers. Both guys and the story were elevated here, really pro work from everyone.

Hangman using Dril tweets as promo material got a real lol from me.

• Like 3

I thought the Bucks still wrestling in the suits from last week made Top Flight look shit.

They aren't taking them seriously enough by not wearing their regular gear, and something that looks difficult to wrestle in instead, even though Top Flight beat them last time, and still win relatively easily. 

Could have easily worn them to the ring with gear underneath and had same result without making Top Flight looking like enhancement talent.

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

The bucks need go full anti-hardcore Cactus Jack in ECW with their new gimmick but just anti-high spots, lots of chinlocks, stalling and cutting others off and if they do find themselves on the top rope just hop down and put on a nerve hold or something.

the Bucks will insist their matches be staged under Bill Watts rules (no moves off the top rope, no mats at ringside)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This just came to mind: A new finisher for Danny Garcia, which his match with Edge would have been a great try-out for. 

Dragon Screw into Kneebar

Just keep spinning and wrench that sucker in right in the middle of the ring like the Angle anklelock where he snakes around the leg on the mat. Actually, maybe cripple some jobbers with it first to make it look like a threat, then use it in a match with a guy like Edge where you work the leg. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I thought the Bucks still wrestling in the suits from last week made Top Flight look shit.

They aren't taking them seriously enough by not wearing their regular gear, and something that looks difficult to wrestle in instead, even though Top Flight beat them last time, and still win relatively easily. 

Could have easily worn them to the ring with gear underneath and had same result without making Top Flight looking like enhancement talent.

Their pants are still their tights. You can see their knee pads. The only thing that makes a difference is keeping the blazers on, but they allow for a ton of movement. 

This Collision pre-emption is doubly stupid now that I gave it more than two seconds thought and realized they could just do it on TBS instead of TNT. Is it really a "never shall the two channels cross" kinda deal they have? Does Chuck Lorre have a certain quota of Big Bang Theory reruns per month that they've agreed upon, or Marvel airings of their swill? Because that's all that's going on over there that night. 

Ok, about the show itself: Dax-Mox was damn good and they had me thinking another draw, which would have been a big win for Dax. Ended up being a strong win for Mox. Surprised to see the tag coming match this early. So FTR take that one and there's a gimmick blow-off at Revolution? I'm fine with that.

Copeland-Garcia ended up being good until it was ruined (like things usually are) by The Patriarchy. Since Garcia was still at least conscious at the end of all of it, he seems like the more likely challenger, please, no 3-ways here.

Bucks vs Top Flight was good for what they were trying to do. I appreciate the attempt at slimy heeling and an update of the Bucks' characters, but if you do not wrestle to the utmost level of your physical capabilities (without being stupid, obviously), I will not find your performance entertaining, unless it's done for comedy, and even then, I'm unlikely to appreciate it fully when sober. So, while this was definitely different, it was not on the level of what I expect to be served when the menu says Young Bucks vs Top Flight. Threathening to put their slimy hands and knees on Tony was definitely worthy of heel heat. I'm sure they will find the best possible way of combining their new characters with their previous style and only cherry pick the best stuff later on.

Wardlow had a knee brace and both hamstrings taped, he dodged a serious bullet and wasn't going to take any chances. Even the opponent was lighter than usual.

Willow vs Skye Blue was good and Stokley actually ended up helping here. Does this mean Willow gets to challenge Julia for the title?

Samoa Joe, Swerve and Hangman talked. I dozed off, but did hear the crowd cheering for Swerve like crazy. That trios match looks like there could be more than one blow-up within those teams coming up.

The Toni tattoo touch up was not exactly what I thought it was going to be but the end effect was certainly the same.

Main event was crazy. This gave Undisputed Kingdom the tiniest shred of credibility, which they so desperately need at this point. This may have been the only time a box of thumbtacks from your friend was a better gift than chocolate, unless you're a diabetic who uses bulletinboards a lot. Drywall (?) is always appreciated, though, regardless of the occasion.

Guys, I have a great idea: Bang Bang Scissor Gang should have a 12-man tag on Rampage! Totally my own idea, btw!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Since Garcia was still at least conscious at the end of all of it, he seems like the more likely challenger, please, no 3-ways here

You’re not down for a tribute to the Night the Line was Crossed where Copeland and Garcia wrestle for 15 minutes and then Christian comes out and they go an hour?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

You’re not down for a tribute to the Night the Line was Crossed where Copeland and Garcia wrestle for 15 minutes and then Christian comes out and they go an hour?

That could work, or elimination style, but please no "one fall 3-way", since we already got one of those. The PPV may be so loaded that them getting a full hour would probably be a tough one to fit in.

A lot of things have happened for Wardlow to cool off as much as he has, but I am trying to think of another case where a haircut played this much of a role. It seems all of his aura was in the man bun. My man looks like a hamandegger that heard about this wrestling thing and showed up at the Power Plant.

• Haha 2

All that matters tonight is that we get some solid Jarrett/Dark Order interaction. I've never been a fan of BTE driving major storylines but I'm totally fine with it impacting the B story of a throwaway match on Rampage.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

A lot of things have happened for Wardlow to cool off as much as he has, but I am trying to think of another case where a haircut played this much of a role. It seems all of his aura was in the man bun. My man looks like a hamandegger that heard about this wrestling thing and showed up at the Power Plant.

Even with the haircut, dude could put some product in and slick it back and still look a hundred times better than this "just rolled out of bed" look. I really wonder what the case is, ultimately, like does he just not want to be there? Has management realized that he's not going to deliver what they were hoping from him? I don't know, some people just don't have it though and while I've definitely enjoyed a Wardlow match here and there, dude might just be a dud. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Even with the haircut, dude could put some product in and slick it back and still look a hundred times better than this "just rolled out of bed" look. I really wonder what the case is, ultimately, like does he just not want to be there? Has management realized that he's not going to deliver what they were hoping from him? I don't know, some people just don't have it though and while I've definitely enjoyed a Wardlow match here and there, dude might just be a dud. 

I thought it was just some Gen Z hairstyle that goes with dressing like a schlub which seems to be in fashion these days

• Haha 2

Maybe with Wardlow, it's just that people really respond to the Virgil/Alex Riley/Damien Mizdow disrespected henchman storyline, and it doesn't give an accurate reading of a wrestler's default level of overness without some dickhead bullying them or treating them like a lackey. Every time it goes wrong like this, I appreciate Batista a little more.

• Like 8

Was mistaken above, it isn't Marvel tripe, it's DC tripe they're airing (Aquaman and Wonder Woman, which are supposed to be good, but I'm not watching them. I actually tried to watch the latter in hospital after surgery and the drugs shut that down). You own the same stations, just give me my fuckin' wrestling.

Clearly AEW struggles with Booking the Hoss. ‘In action’ squashes might work for a time, but Wardy oughtta be the example/mistake of the diminishing effects of going too long with this play. Every time there’s another one it reminds how they aren’t learning from their mistakes in this matter. Maybe If Wardlow played into the heelish nature of padding the win record and being a bully by not facing suitable competition they might have a small something to play upon. As is, how in the fuck is anybody to care about him facing Joe Schmo-hawk again. And again. This isn’t 1987. We expect the best to fight the best. They’ve done the same with Hobbs. It truly feels like the booking protection does more to hurt them than help. It means so rarely facing anybody of competitive value. Brodie Lee and the TNT title era Miro are the best examples of where they’ve succeeded with the Big man. Miro in particular was booked so well and had the charisma and mic work to complement the push. Wardy, in contrast, is all tongue-fury and intense cliche posing. His promo never ranges away from ‘I’m angry’. He’s never shown an ability to speak like a human being and it’s hurt monumentally. I sense he’s being prepared to lose to MJF and then sent to the back of the line. I wouldn’t mind seeing Bill get his loss back as well. Too bad, in ring Wardy seems to have the goods. I sense having a script writer would help. Wwe may be the better fit. Aew requires ppl to truly stand on their own two feet without a safety net and bring the best they have to offer. Evidentially, not the best plan for Wardy.

edit: how to change this enormous text size?
(Jae Edit: Fixed it for you. If the text is all messed up, just highlight it and look for Tx symbol in the toolbar. That resets any test formatting.)

55 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Wardlow has also been undercut by aimless booking for over a year now, it's hard to get over that way

I agree with this 100%. For a while Wardlow was someone I thought was a can't miss prospect but he never got to logical points in the storyline and it became clear that would be the case every time they heated him up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

Wasn’t Wardlow injured not too far back?

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

That's what was reported. He said he wasn't but he was moving like he was. 

All that was missing was Adam Cole burning a copy of the Observer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Where Wardlow is with his career right now, is the same place Billy Gunn was in in 97, right before he and Road Dogg formed the New Age Outlaws.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Maybe with Wardlow, it's just that people really respond to the Virgil/Alex Riley/Damien Mizdow disrespected henchman storyline, and it doesn't give an accurate reading of a wrestler's default level of overness without some dickhead bullying them or treating them like a lackey. Every time it goes wrong like this, I appreciate Batista a little more.

The fucked up blowoff to the MJF storyline killed him dead. His ultimate babyface revenge moment turned into MJF being the main character instead, and a crowd feeling sympathetic for MJF taking so many power bombs and getting stretchered out...only for MJF to show up a day later on TV perfectly fine and “shooting” on the company.

• Like 4