DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/14 - 2/20/2024 - When A Hangman Loves A Woman

I mean, I have trouble believing Tony Schiavone couldn't kick the shit out of both Jacksons, but that was my only real complaint about this show...

• Haha 3

The storyline is, Roddy Strong wants to weaken Orange Cassidy before he challenges him for the title (hence why he made his challenge in January for a match in March). He’s done his research, he knows Orange can only lose the belt if he comes in hurt (because of how his first reign ended), but he’s also seen that Cassidy tends to just go along with things and accept every challenge. So, being a cruel and heartless manipulator, he has his friend Taven challenge OC to a Deathmatch to soften him up. He’s sacrificing Taven to get an advantage himself, down the line.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, AxB said:

The storyline is, Roddy Strong wants to weaken Orange Cassidy before he challenges him for the title (hence why he made his challenge in January for a match in March). He’s done his research, he knows Orange can only lose the belt if he comes in hurt (because of how his first reign ended), but he’s also seen that Cassidy tends to just go along with things and accept every challenge. So, being a cruel and heartless manipulator, he has his friend Taven challenge OC to a Deathmatch to soften him up. He’s sacrificing Taven to get an advantage himself, down the line.

And Cassidy accepted because the Kingdom have been beating up all of his friends and Roddy has been dodging him by putting the title match off to Revolution, so at least he could get his hands on Taven. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Yeah, and he has to come in seriously beat up, not just little bit worn down. During the last reign, he must have successfully defended his title at least a dozen times while already being banged up and it still took Moxley pretty much all he had to keep him down. This is not only very smart strategy by Roddy, but also very necessary. Without OC being seriously worn down prior to their match, I would definitely not like Roddy's chances here and even then, it will probably take all the interference in the world for him to come out on top in this one. I do have a feeling he will get all the help he needs, however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I mean, I have trouble believing Tony Schiavone couldn't kick the shit out of both Jacksons, but that was my only real complaint about this show...

Out of curiosity considering your views on them how did you like the match itself?

• Like 1

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Out of curiosity considering your views on them how did you like the match itself?

I'd need to give it a second watch. I think this is by far the best use of the Bucks from a character perspective. They aren't at all likeable, so why pretend they are? The cynic in me thinks they grounded Top Flight so as to not be shown up by them, but I'll admit that that's my own extreme cynicism.

• Like 5

Bucks need to retire those suits.  1) if that's really dried blood, that incredibly gross and maybe a health hazard and 2) they look like ice cream men who had an accident with the chocolate soft serve

Dax talking to the ref, telling him he's going to tap, while in Mox's finish, was funny

LOOOOOOL @ Callis' drunk dad making them fight.  "We turned out allright!"

I always found Matt Taven dull and not someone I was into watching, but FUCK I cannot question that guy's dedication. He was given a main event slot and the dude seriously went for it  Jesus.

Fun, interesting developments with Stoke and his crew

Add Daddy Magic to the growing list of guys who slip and call Copeland "Edge."

Trent took the bullet for OC because that's what best friends do!

Again, JESUS that table break and Taven's multiple falls into the tacks.  Man oh man.

What was in that second heart-shaped box (hey, wait)?  Drywall?

Stoke: I'm going to listen to some Bonecrusher after this match
Taz: I love Bonecrusher!
Stoke: My man!  I knew I liked you Taz!
Ex: Taz is talking about the monster truck

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

What was in that second heart-shaped box (hey, wait)?  Drywall?

😄 Yeah that was a question I had too. At least show us! Should have been chocolates so he could pick one up and eat it, get a pop off that. (BTW... god was that table crash insane. Really made up for the work by the ramp.) 

I liked Bucks wearing the suits. HR can't force them to take 'em off and clean 'em, after all. Plus the jerks can't be comfortable wrestling in all that shit. 

The Bone Crusher reference made me look him up and I watched part of a video with vikings fighting each other and him smashing a guy's head with a giant foam mallet made of "stone". Dig his voice and rhymes actually. 

3 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I'd need to give it a second watch. I think this is by far the best use of the Bucks from a character perspective. They aren't at all likeable, so why pretend they are? The cynic in me thinks they grounded Top Flight so as to not be shown up by them, but I'll admit that that's my own extreme cynicism.

I think at this point in their careers this is the way to go for the Bucks.  They have done variations of this type of match for so long even when they were heels that they have go like this for it to mean something.  So I hope a rewatch does you well.

As for Taven I'm not a fan of his but it's also not surprising to me seeing him go all out.  When he started with ROH he had this Pauly Shore look that was all he was known for.  He had a match with the guy FKA Mikey from Spirit Squad (name escapes me) that was on the surface a nothing match.  But at some point Taven went fucking nuts and had one helluva match.  I think it was not long after that he got away from the Pauly Shore look and started to come up so not sure if the match was the catalyst for it or not.  But the tl;dr is Taven's willing to step up when it counts and I appreciated what he did last night.  Oh, and holy cow did Orange bleed.  He rarely does it but when he does it's awesome.

• Like 1

It looked almost like Orange nicked his temple, like there was this big hole that was a dark crimson color, and the same color blood was pumping across his forehead and down the other side of his face in closeup. If you feel your skull where the indentation is above and in front of the ear, before that ridge of bone, it's kind of sensitive and feels like there could be some serious circulatory work going on there. That's about where it looked like the cut was. 

No, I'm not allergic to garlic, why do you ask? 

• Haha 2

The bucks need go full anti-hardcore Cactus Jack in ECW with their new gimmick but just anti-high spots, lots of chinlocks, stalling and cutting others off and if they do find themselves on the top rope just hop down and put on a nerve hold or something.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m ready for a world where somehow a Matt Taven main event draws a better QH than Sting/Darby vs Starks/Bill

FUCK THE MELVINS!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*(Not the band)

• Like 1

Someone mentioned in the other AEW thread that Moxley/Dax should be two guys going full territories tribute brawl and that was more or less what we got here. I'm not a fan of Moxley but figured this would play to his strengths, though I thought he got in way too much offense and the post match bit made FTR look like wieners. I don't know if the time calls in the match were meant to tease a draw or what but seemed kind of out of nowhere, especially when Dax tapped at the last minute.

I like Stokley but am not sure how he fits in with Willow and Kris as he's clearly a heel and the two of them are such natural faces. The distraction spot seemed out of place, but I get that it protected Skye a bit and I assume it's leading somewhere in whatever story they're doing with the three of them.

The Bucks current act works so well on account of the borderline shooty nature of the presentation and it's honestly the best gimmick for them.

Taven has always been just a guy to me and I'm kind of over OC's schtick so I wasn't too invested in the main event but then it totally over-delivered. The gusher OC tapped showed why there was a surprising lack of blood in the opening match and Taven seemed determined to emerge on the other side of that table the way he lawn darted into it.

Dax v Mox was fanfuckingtastic! Loved the finish, loved the post match! Claudio with a real nice looking neutralizer. FTR v BCC, truly fight forever! A Don Callis promo is always a gift. Loved the Drunk Dad/Fighting in the Yard line. Takeshita v Ospreay! This Revolution ppv has the makings of being their best yet. It feels like every time Wardlow is ‘in action’ it makes him that much colder. Awful. But merely a momentary misfire on a great, great show. Garcia v Adam was excellent. Copeland's brief heeling at ringside got me excited for the future. I actually find myself excited by a DQ finish in a promotion that rarely serves them. We've gone far too long without a Christy-ian Cage promo. Much love to Mother Wayne! Joe/Swerve/Hanger promo was pretty on point. Especially Joe’s line about a ‘three way’ being ‘dumber’. I've needed a heel Hanger for too long now. Swerve and Joe are both really cooking in 2024. Finally,thankfully, a fun Toni short film. Deonna’s follow up made for a terrific segment. Seems fair to say best build to a Women's title match in a long time. Bang Bang Scissor Gang promo was all about silky stylish Renee. 12 man tag, huh. This creative leaves a lot to be desired. Bucks v Flights was solid. The Bucks are glorious heels, and I sense even the haters are all slowly being reminded. Post match Bucks/Schiavone segment was so good. The Darby promo and save was good. Sure, could’ve done without the Cody reference, but it was fine. Willow v Skye was pretty solid. I'm a bit unsure about that finish, but I'll give them a week to follow up on it. Skye Blue is looking so confident as a heel. Big improvement. Orange v Taven was so fun. Nice to see some praise for (sure, he still looks irritating) Matt Taven. His modern run with Bennett has been good to great throughout. I'm curious to see what becomes of the Joe/Swerve/Cage v Hanger/RVD/Hook 6 man! And I can't think of a match I'd rather see than FTR v BCC! Batten down the hatches, AEW24 is on a run!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I like Stokley but am not sure how he fits in with Willow and Kris as he's clearly a heel and the two of them are such natural faces. The distraction spot seemed out of place, but I get that it protected Skye a bit and I assume it's leading somewhere in whatever story they're doing with the three of them.

Spitballing here, I can see the two of them being kind of torn because on one hand, they're winning but, on the other hand, they're cheating.  In the end, they resist the temptation, kick Stokely out, and win the women's tag belts with the power of friendship and good, clean wrestling.

P.S. women's tag belts are necessary to this idea

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Bone Crusher reference made me look him up and I watched part of a video with vikings fighting each other and him smashing a guy's head with a giant foam mallet made of "stone". Dig his voice and rhymes actually. 

The bar I DJ'd at after college had a list of prohibited songs that they'd kept since they opened and Bone Crusher's "Never Scared" was on it. The owner bought in to the scare stories that it caused fights. Meanwhile, the only time I saw a fight was when two girls collided during "Single Ladies" and commenced to scrapping. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

The bar I DJ'd at after college had a list of prohibited songs that they'd kept since they opened and Bone Crusher's "Never Scared" was on it.

Oh god I'm having Madden '04 flashbacks and I now somehow also have "Back in the Mud" stuck in my head.

7 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, and he has to come in seriously beat up, not just little bit worn down. During the last reign, he must have successfully defended his title at least a dozen times while already being banged up and it still took Moxley pretty much all he had to keep him down. This is not only very smart strategy by Roddy, but also very necessary. Without OC being seriously worn down prior to their match, I would definitely not like Roddy's chances here and even then, it will probably take all the interference in the world for him to come out on top in this one. I do have a feeling he will get all the help he needs, however.

Ants are surprisingly resilient. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

The bar I DJ'd at after college

Great, you are now gonna tell me Bone Crusher has been around for a decade+ of popularity and I've not heard about him until last night, aren't you (because yes, I am asking).

• Like 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Great, you are now gonna tell me Bone Crusher has been around for a decade+ of popularity and I've not heard about him until last night, aren't you (because yes, I am asking).

I graduated in 2010. I want to say Bone Crusher was from like 2004ish. The list was old and just kept getting updated.