DVDVR Message Board
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

FYI --

On 2/22/2024 at 1:55 PM, Phil Schneider said:

Folks have asked me how they can help with the show, we are looking for people to sponsor matches! So if you have something you want to promote reach out to Matt at [email protected]. Just let him know what you want to promote!!

I was also thinking that we could have the board as a whole sponsor a match, if folks have some cash to spare we could all pool it and have a match be a "brought to you by the DVDVR board." One of the things I am excited about for this show is that we are bringing in folks who aren't the typical "Mania weekend guys working 10 shows" Demus and Slim J aren't working anywhere else Mania weekend, Thatcher is only working us and Bloodsport, and we have one more wild name like that we are working on, but could use some help with the plane tickets and hotel room. 

If you want to contribute to the group sponsorship, you can PayPal Matt at [email protected] or use Venmo or Cashapp, just put DVDVR Board DEAN~! sponsorship in the tag line. If we could raise a couple hundred bucks it would make it a lot easier to pull the trigger on this name we are working on 🙂

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

Austin Luke vs Marcus Mathers - I Quit Death Match

Hey, it's an I Quit, light tubes, twink death match! These two young skinny dudes have decided they are gonna wreck their potential love lives by scarring themselves up before they turn 30 (or even 25). The venue is rather small but I wouldn't have it any other way for DEAN's show. For this show, however, it's... not advisable. Glass gets thrown absolutely everywhere and I can only imagine sitting on one of those sides where there are like two rows of seats between the ring and the wall. Apparently the two have had enough beef to have a glass match so there is much breakage of tubing. It's not just smashing each other, they wrest control from each other over the tubes and try (and sometime fail) to do some neat spots like the Northern Lights suplex while holding a tube to the other guy's back. Mathers gets cut up the most, in the front which the camera gets a good close-up of him checking himself in the ropes before he starts bleeding, a nasty back cut, and eventually his shoulder too. He tries to cut up Austin's forehead with a tube on three sides of the ring but it looks bad and he doesn't bleed. Some things are better done at a distance. They also work pretty stiff with some serious chops and kicks, and there are two glass panes that end up getting used. It's been awhile since I saw a light tube match after getting really burnt out on them with BJW in the early 2010s, so taking some time off and some psychology injected into the proceedings helped. Good match if you can take the gore, which is just mid-level for a vampire like me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

H2O shows there are infamous for their “fans bring the weapons” matches and the creative stuff people bring. One time my brother brought a cheese grater strapped to a bible. 

• Haha 6

They need to put together a commemorative program consisting of all Dean's Smackdown workrate comics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 1/13/2024 at 8:37 AM, Curt McGirt said:

For this show, however, it's... not advisable. Glass gets thrown absolutely everywhere and I can only imagine sitting on one of those sides where there are like two rows of seats between the ring and the wall.

H20 had a SEVEN HUNDRED LIGHT TUBE death match this past summer in that same room and I love me some deathmatch wrestling but I also can't imagine that even with a wall-wide side lift door open for that show that the air quality in that room by the time the match was over was less than one step down from smoke inhalation.

As for the DEAN show itself, I am guessing an Organization of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts vs Fighting Ultimate Crazy Kings 8-man legends tag would break the budget?

I am bummed that I don't have my finances together to make a Philly trip happen this year. As someone who dates back to the yellow-and-green days of the board, this would have been awesome to attend live, but I'll do everything I can to be in front of the couch when this streams live on IWTV.

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 10:45 PM, AxB said:

Davey Richards retired to avoid cancellation. He was exposed as being a sex pest around women.

I think it was domestic violence allegations. I mean look I don't think Davey Richards has much of a reputation to destroy, but we should at least be clear about what he was cancelled for.

54 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Fighting Ultimate Crazy Kings 8-man legends

Unless the young boys went on to some kind of... credibility? you've just got Pondo and Necro, and I'm not sure if you want to give Necro a payday for political reasons. Didn't Pondo half-retire or something too? (BTW, he has an autobiography out from back in 2018 which I was unaware of.)

That H20 show sounds like you might as well do some unprotected asbestos removal

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Didn't Pondo half-retire or something too?

Pondo has been active with Big Japan recently. He won their Death Match Heavyweight Title (not sure the exact name) right around the end of the year and held it for like a week before losing it back to whoever he won it from.

Also he’s popped up in GCW several times over the past year or so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Unless the young boys went on to some kind of... credibility? you've just got Pondo and Necro, and I'm not sure if you want to give Necro a payday for political reasons. Didn't Pondo half-retire or something too? (BTW, he has an autobiography out from back in 2018 which I was unaware of.)

That H20 show sounds like you might as well do some unprotected asbestos removal

FU*CK! is 100% still active! They've moved away from death match style but still run shows in basements in front of, like, 30 people. Current Far East Asian Champion is Lucha Master Takemaru, whom I am sure I have met, but I can't find a picture of us together. I found a picture with Moriya, who is a current FU*CK! mainstay, and with Fuke, who worked for them back in the day. Fuke is a Fujiwara guy, and Moriya was trained by Kurisu! I am connected to current FU*CK! through my close friend Kuuga/Cooger/Asian Cooger (in fact I am

probably going drinking with Cooger and Moriya again soon) so, SINCERE OFFER HERE: If the fine folks promoting this show ever manage to raise enough sponsorship dough to fly some wrestlers in from Japan I would be quite happy to liaise the Osaka Indie scene for y'all. How about Bodyguard singing his entrance theme on the way to the ring? DEAN loved that. I am SURE I could convince some good people to go if it were at all financially viable. This year, or at any time in the future.

yzjs1IG.jpg

80unlrQ.jpg

Phk5BtY.jpg

s1pGAv7.png

zFGCZxx.jpg

6yhcCwS.jpg

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m just now seeing this and I am so stoked that this is so close to where I live now! For years, I dreamt about going to a show with the DVDVR Playaz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, they were reviewed in an old DVDVR. Pondo and Necro were beating up kids in a garage, basically.

I should have phrased it better but I'm wondering if it does currently. I haven't heard anything about it in years.

A Talent Announcement: Booked on DEAN~!!, in addition to Daniel Makabe is

Spoiler

SLIM MOTHERFUCKIN' J

~!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AxB said:

http://twitter.com/WrestleACTION1/status/1747056807804100811

A Talent Announcement: Booked on DEAN~!!, in addition to Daniel Makabe is

Hide contents

SLIM MOTHERFUCKIN' J

~!

Yooooo I just brought up the Trustbusters yesterday!!!! DEAN might've been the only guy who liked their fake Jane's Addiction theme more than me. Awesome!!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm not going to have a guy nicknamed Mr. Delicious and not have that be his member title.  

Good luck with the show.  If I cannot make it (family stuff already planned for Mania weekend) I will definitely order.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I didn't know Matt Griffin and Jacey North were the same guy until just now

It's possible that came up on some Between the Sheets episode and I didn't remember it

❤️

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well I'm not going to have a guy nicknamed Mr. Delicious and not have that be his member title.  

Good luck with the show.  If I cannot make it (family stuff already planned for Mania weekend) I will definitely order.  

Ha the name Jacey on this board predated Mr D actually

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J.H. said:

Holy Cow! I remember you Jacey!!

Good on you repping long haul posters on this endeavor!

James

I'm the best booker to come from the DVDVR board, right?!?!?!

• Haha 8