DVDVR Message Board
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

FYI --

On 2/22/2024 at 1:55 PM, Phil Schneider said:

Folks have asked me how they can help with the show, we are looking for people to sponsor matches! So if you have something you want to promote reach out to Matt at [email protected]. Just let him know what you want to promote!!

I was also thinking that we could have the board as a whole sponsor a match, if folks have some cash to spare we could all pool it and have a match be a "brought to you by the DVDVR board." One of the things I am excited about for this show is that we are bringing in folks who aren't the typical "Mania weekend guys working 10 shows" Demus and Slim J aren't working anywhere else Mania weekend, Thatcher is only working us and Bloodsport, and we have one more wild name like that we are working on, but could use some help with the plane tickets and hotel room. 

If you want to contribute to the group sponsorship, you can PayPal Matt at [email protected] or use Venmo or Cashapp, just put DVDVR Board DEAN~! sponsorship in the tag line. If we could raise a couple hundred bucks it would make it a lot easier to pull the trigger on this name we are working on 🙂

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

His name is literally Ref Shiny Shoes, he has to live the gimmick.

• Like 1

The fireball was right in front of me. It wasn't a great one, but then Krule dropped his original lighter during a corner fight spot (possibly right before the avalanche chokeslam), so I guess he had to use a back-up...

• Like 1

Yeah the lighter thing was like it’s own dramatic beat in the match just from our vantage point. The ref passed the lighter and paper to Krule like a full five minutes before the spot, although I guess it may have gone that long because they were vamping while they got the backup lighter.

Something I meant to mention earlier re Makabe/Thatcher: I think there was one rope running spot in the entire match. Literally everything else was graps/strikes, so if that's your bag you know where to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Makabe also hit a DVD at one point, which was the only "pro wrestling move" in the match. Which I assume he did as a sly reference to DVDVR itself...if so, well played sir...

I definitely assumed that in the moment live!

• Like 2

For a moment I wanted the DVD to end the match. But then he punched him in the fucking ear for the win and that was better.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That's what the DVDVR has always advocated for: Good punches.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Something I meant to mention earlier re Makabe/Thatcher: I think there was one rope running spot in the entire match. Literally everything else was graps/strikes, so if that's your bag you know where to go.

Someone pointed this out to me years ago, but I don't know that I've ever seen Thatcher run the ropes in a match. He's worked enough matches that it's had to have happened at some point but he may do so less frequently than just about everyone else currently working.

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

For a moment I wanted the DVD to end the match. But then he punched him in the fucking ear for the win and that was better.

And it looked fantastic live. Thatcher leaned into those punches like a motherfucker. Shades of Akira Hokuto-Shinobu Kandori. 

• Like 1

FYI: IWTV has changed it's business model. You can now either do the $10/ month subscription, OR buy individual shows... for $10 each.

Now theoretically if you buy one you own it for life, even if you cancel your subscription (or never had one). But the $100/ year plan still looks like the better deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TimLivingston said:

…and when’s the release on twice-taped over VHS? Instead of $10, can we send in a copy of the 1995 Dallas Cowboy Super Bowl Champions VHS?

ill trade you for sabu v lightning kid cool thx

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 days removed and it feels surreal to me that all this happened.  A show that was in some way run by and mainly for a bunch of folks on a message board and it just happened to have some really fucking incredible stuff going on.  Like I've been trying to comment on this throughout the week and stopped because it was hard to wrap my head around it all.  Yet when watching it back I realize two things.  One, my fat ass was on the screen way more than I intended (I thought chilling in the corner would get me out of hard cam view) and two it did happen and it was fucking awesome.

I can't say enough how great it was to finally meet @Rev Ray, @Pete, @Phil Schneiderand @Johnny Sorrowto thank them for all the years of awesomeness.  And it was great to meet @S.K.o.S.and @Danwho was near me the whole time yet I didn't know until he mentioned in the Discord chat.  I was a bit shy for a bit and wish I met more people but I felt a comfort in knowing whoever was there was taking in a wild show and it was for Dean.  I also experienced a first in that for the first time ever a hardcore tag match got me oddly emotional.  But when Tank and Manders are battling on chairs in front of Dean's chair and the crowd chanting his name how the hell can you not be?

As for the show itself I have seen a couple folks when watching random indy stuff but the only one I saw before this was Slim J.  So it made me compare this to a concert.  There's many a concert where I would go to let's say Metallica and you know what you're getting.  But then there's random concerts that sound neat that all goes well end up fucking incredible.  This was an instance of the latter for me and I became a fan that night of folks like Krule and of all teams the Ugly Sucklings.  I definitely need to keep an eye out for them.  And I sure as hell didn't expect Violence if Forever to show up but holy bats there they were so that's cool to say I finally saw them live.

If I thought about this more maybe I could have tried a road report like I've been reading all these years.  But I wouldn't do it justice so hopefully the truncated version of everything works.  Anyway it was a fucking great time and I'll be looking forward to the DVD.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Forgot a name. Sorry, dude.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I wasn't there so I am assuming you mean Schneider

Otherwise someone is posing as me and that might be the saddest thing ever

• Haha 5

Yipes!  My bad, had a mental lapse there as I was trying to quickly finish the post before clocking out.

But hopefully I can meet you one day to thank you for putting up with my dumb ass over the years.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

What a fantastic show/tribute to Dean. The highlight of WrestleMania week for my money. A breezy 3 1/2 hours is not easy to pull off, but y'all did it. Mad Dog/Demus and Thatcher/Makabe are in contention for my MOTY, Slim J/Priest was really good, and I also enjoyed Cerebro/Loco.

• Like 3