DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

40 years ago tonight:

WWF @ Allentown, PA – Agricultural Hall – January 3, 1984
Championship Wrestling taping:

1/7/84 – featured the debut of Gene Okerlund as he did commentary alongside Vince McMahon; included the announcement that Hulk Hogan & Bob Backlund would face Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee the following week; featured WWF World Champion the Iron Sheik & Freddie Blassie as guests of Victory Corner:
Bob Backlund (w/ Hulk Hogan) defeated Samula (w/ Afa, Sika, & Capt. Lou Albano) via disqualification at 4:34 when the Samoans and Albano attacked Backlund as he applied the Crossface Chicken Wing to his opponent; the bout was to have been Backlund and his mystery partner against the Samoans but Albano refused to the match, instead making it a one-on-one encounter; early in the match, the Samoans tried double teaming Backlund, with Backlund then going backstage and returning with Hogan; after the contest, Hogan and Backlund cleared the ring of the four other men; moments later, Gene Okerlund conducted an interview with Backlund & Hogan in which Backlund said Hogan had changed his ways, with Hogan then thanking Backlund and the fans for bringing him back to the WWF (Hulk Still Rules)

1/14/84 – featured David Schultz as a guest of Victory Corner:
Hulk Hogan & Bob Backlund defeated Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee at 4:12 when Hogan pinned Lee with the legdrop

So yeah, AEW is out of DAZN but back on Triller TV. So, I quit DAZN and subscribed to TNA+. I also need to resubscribe to Triller's AEW+ later this month. Well, this problem wasn't as bad as I thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

411746303_10161105503026047_535427071707

I saw this match at a house show in 98

Between this and the Dice Morgan/"Big" (or was he "Texas") Scott Hall picture that gets a lot of reposting, a bunch of those guys would have worked with each other years before they were established in WWF. We remember Malenko, Guerrero, and Benoit as well as Scorpio working in a lot of the same places. However, Bam Bam, Yoko, Taker, Hall, Godfather, etc. all either worked in Japan together or pop up on an Otto Wanz show or some other place together. It's too much of a coincidence. They must have had the same hookup that got them in those places.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Inoki? Or more probably, Black Cat? 

I know Black Cat was probably a liaison for certain guys going back and forth between Mexico and Japan, and certainly A LOT of the same dudes end up on the same shows. I think Tiger Hattori was doing some of that as well. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Shannon Sharpe explains the territory system to Gilbert Arenas:

I beat you to it in the podcast thread but you found the clip.

WWF @ Pittsburgh, PA – Mt. Pleasant High School – January 29, 1994 (charity show) (1,100)
Rick Steiner & Bob Backlund (sub. for Scott Steiner) defeated WWF Tag Team Champions the Quebecers (w/ Johnny Polo) via disqualification when Jacques stopped the referee’s count on Pierre

guessing that Backlund didn't do his stupid dance taunt while Rick was on all fours under him but yeah, Rick Steiner and Bob Backlund had some similarities for in-ring work

thinking that the whole "not including Chris in Iron Claw because it would have made the story even more tragic" thing is sort of the tragedy version of how they had to tone down Audie Murphy's achievements in the movies because his real achievements were too unbelievable

(or the time that test screeners reacted to file footage of Joseph McCarthy in Good Night And Good Luck by noting how over the top the actor was who was playing McCarthy)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Quick question: In matches where one opponent uses the other opponent's finisher, has there ever been a time where the opponent used their opponent's finisher to win?

Just now, nate said:

Quick question: In matches where one opponent uses the other opponent's finisher, has there ever been a time where the opponent used their opponent's finisher to win?

Copeland just beat Christian with the Killswitch last week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just remembered one Easter egg I wanted to see in The Iron Claw that would be just for super nerds: movie Terry Gordy shoving that fan at ringside in the Sportatorium.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 7:44 PM, nate said:

MJF tapped Danielson with the Lebell lock last year.

Jericho was a big finisher stealer, didn't he finish the Rock with the Rock Bottom at one point?

Of course, Rock himself also disgracefully beat Booker T with the Book End at Summerslam 2001

• Like 3

On 1/6/2024 at 2:44 PM, nate said:

In late 2010 TNA, Doug Williams beat AJ Styles with the Styles Clash during on of their PPV matches for the TV title. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The heat with Tony Atlas and Rocky Johnson started when Tony thought Rocky was stealing his gimmick by being called Soleman Rocky Johnson

I have a bunch of lapsed '90s childhood fans in my IRL friend crew, and we still often quote Atlas' "Does anybody have a cell-a-phone?!" from True Life - I sent this over earlier and we've been crying laughing all day. Thanks for this!

• Like 1