DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/13 - 12/19/2023 - Winter is Coming... Quick, Look Busy!

Dolfan in NYC

51 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I can save the devil angle, the devil is Julius Smokes and the henchmen are low-ki, homicide, Dan maff and monsta Mack. It allows TK to keep scratching his ROH itch and will entertain me enormously 

In that case, make it Henry Hawk. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Didn't Dan Maff get cancelled over something? 

I still want Homicide showing up to team with Eddie sometime in the next year

Yes, but he was gone for a few years and then was back. And Homicide (who apparently was the person most offended) forgave him and welcomed him back, so whatever happened is a dead issue apparently.

Did Rampage actually happen if no one posts about it?

I thought the trios match with the Von Erichs and OC was very good for what it was: a movie tie in and a salute to local legends. Do I need to see the third gen Von Erichs in AEW regularly? No. A one (or two) off in Dallas? Sure.

Callis is a heat magnet but it’s not getting any of the family over at all. Wasting a ton of young talent there.

Anna Jay-Red Velvet happened.

Main event was a lucha trios spot fest that started out being in the worst sense of that term and ended up being in the best sense. Just kept escalating and threw in some AEW house style stuff that added to it. I was definitely marking out and the segment on the ring apron in particular was ridiculous stuff. Now, would I say it was one of the greatest matches in AEW history? No. Would I like some true lucha-style tornado trios matches. Absolutely.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 2:59 PM, Casey said:

I still think the best way to go is with the Devil being Britt Baker, with Wardlow, Sammy Guevara, Jack Perry & Kyle O’Reilly as the goons or whatever you want to call them.

Britt as the Devil with Perry as her Sith Apprentice helping her frame Cole would actually be very interesting.

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

Stat/Willow versus Mercedes/Diamante was announced for tonight.

In a street fight.

The winter holiday season requires its annual blood sacrifice.

Sure seems like think of thin you might advertise a couple days in advance.

28 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Sure seems like think of thin you might advertise a couple days in advance.

Nah, doesn’t really matter. They released the true Tribal Chief, so the ratings won’t be near what they could be anyway.

Let me just lead with this was an amazing Collision, outstanding weekend of wrestling between ROH and Collision.

So, we are deep enough in the game that I think I can tell the direction the booking is going to go last next week. My predictions for the last results on each side

Mark defeats Jay to get on the board.

Swerve defeats Rush. Feels like that was always the expectation, and draws him even with Mox.

White beats Moxley, thus creating a 3 way tie on top of Gold league. This will lead to a triple threat as each of the 3 are 1-1 against each other.

Blue league is more spicy.

Danielson beats Claudio, eliminating Claudio from the competition and securing Danielson one of the 2 spots.

Garcia gets his 1 win of the tournament, upsetting King. this eliminates King and Garcia can feel like he finds himself.

Kingston defeats Andrade in the main event. This pulls him to a tie with Andrade, but since he just beat him head to head, Kingston wins the tiebreaker, thus giving him the second spot in the Blue league finals and a rematch against Danielson.

Gold League can go a lot of ways. My gut says Moxley wins, pinning White, avenging his loss and keeping Swerve decently protected. The Blue league is Kingston securing the biggest win of his career beating Danielson and giving him his match with Moxley to keep his belts.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

TWO WOMENS MATCHES !!

Awesome episode of Collision.  Killer opener from Claudio and Andrade.

Skye suddenly turning and joining Julia after going out of the way to not do that just recently was a little strange and I liked the tease of Skye & Abadon joining forces, but I loved the whole setup leading to the return of Thunder Rosa! And Thunder aligning with Abadon. Great segment and set up for a tag match next week.

the Texas Street Fight Deathmatch came out of nowhere but was crazy as hell. Willow and Diamante bleeding within minutes, Mercedes spider german on Kris on the chairs looked killer, glass and thumbtacks. Some absolutely wild stuff here. Was not expecting all this but loved it. Comparable to the last couple years similar versions. (I think TayJay vs BunnyPenelope will always be the best)

Bryan Keith vs Orange was fun, great weekend for BK.   Looks like we're finally getting back around to Keith Lee vs Swerve after all.

Epic main event from Bryan and Brody, more blood and violence.  Agreed with the above on how the tournament plays out (except I think Moxley/White draw just to say we got one draw), a hell of a tournament it's been.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Mark defeats Jay to get on the board.

Swerve defeats Rush. Feels like that was always the expectation, and draws him even with Mox.

White beats Moxley, thus creating a 3 way tie on top of Gold league. This will lead to a triple threat as each of the 3 are 1-1 against each other.

I don't know. I doubt they'd want to do a triple threat semi-final for the very first Continental Classic. They need to establish how it's supposed to work for a year or two before they start messing with it.

It's like - it's questionable whether having Royal Rumble co-winners was ever a good idea, but it would have been a really bad idea to do that for the inaugural Royal Rumble.

Danielson beats Claudio, eliminating Claudio from the competition and securing Danielson one of the 2 spots.

Garcia gets his 1 win of the tournament, upsetting King. this eliminates King and Garcia can feel like he finds himself.

Kingston defeats Andrade in the main event. This pulls him to a tie with Andrade, but since he just beat him head to head, Kingston wins the tiebreaker, thus giving him the second spot in the Blue league finals and a rematch against Danielson.

I agree with all this being the most likely scenario.

Gold League can go a lot of ways. My gut says Moxley wins, pinning White, avenging his loss and keeping Swerve decently protected. The Blue league is Kingston securing the biggest win of his career beating Danielson and giving him his match with Moxley to keep his belts.

My expectation going into the Swerve-Moxley match was that they'd wrestle again in the semis, with whoever lost in the round robin winning then. That hasn't changed. Eddie over Swerve in the grand finals is my pick.

• Like 4

Well that was a damn good two hours of wrestling.

All three CC matches were great. Much like last week, Andrade meshed well with a larger, stronger opponent. Despite his size and style, Eddie wrestles from underneath really well and is at his best when it looks like he's going to lose and then finds a way to pull out a victory. Between his match last night and this match with Brody, Danielson's eye looked swollen shut. The two of them kicked the crap out of eachother in a most entertaining way.

Two women's matches! Granted one was just a squash to set up an angle, but it did what it set out to do and the post-match segment worked really well. We got some progress on Skye Blue and Thunder Rosa comes back! I don't know what the deal was with the teams' getups in the tag match but whatever. There were a few rough bits in there. Kris almost landed really badly on that suplex on the ramp and Willow overshot the table by quite a bit.

I've always enjoyed seeing Bryan Keith on the indies and after this weekend I hope he's All Elite.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't know. I doubt they'd want to do a triple threat semi-final for the very first Continental Classic. They need to establish how it's supposed to work for a year or two before they start messing with it.

It's like - it's questionable whether having Royal Rumble co-winners was ever a good idea, but it would have been a really bad idea to do that for the inaugural Royal Rumble.

I agree with all this being the most likely scenario.

My expectation going into the Swerve-Moxley match was that they'd wrestle again in the semis, with whoever lost in the round robin winning then. That hasn't changed. Eddie over Swerve in the grand finals is my pick.

See, I could see this, but that feels like a matchup were either result is bad. Swerve might be a heel, kind of, but he's got tons of crowd support right now. That turns Eddie basically into the bad guy in the story for the crowd. Those might be the 2 wrestlers the crowd is most behind, so I'd want to avoid that final like the plague.

That's why I'm convinced the final is either Eddie/White or Eddie/Mox. If it's Eddie/White, I think Eddie loses, and you can build to rematches with Eddie trying to reclaim his loss. If Eddie is winning, it's Mox. He gets to beat his old rival to get his greatest accomplishment in wrestling. 

I really don’t think Eddie is making it that far.

Like I’ve said previously though, I really don’t care about the outcome of this tournament because that Triple Crown title is beneath most of these guys that are in the lead. Let’s be honest: it’s the ROH World title, a soon to be defunct New Japan title and a brand new title. Who cares.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Like I’ve said previously though, I really don’t care about the outcome of this tournament because that Triple Crown title is beneath most of these guys that are in the lead. Let’s be honest: it’s the ROH World title, a soon to be defunct New Japan title and a brand new title. Who cares.

I do agree with you, but I will admit that I thought the All-Atlantic belt was dumb and it lead to some good stuff. 
Maybe Danielson wins and they wiggle it to have the Wrestle Kingdom Okada match be for that belt. Or Eddie wins and Akiyama, Kawada, Kobashi, and Taue come out and they all hug. Of Swerve wins and bleeds in more people’s mouths. It’s all up hill, baby!!!

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I do agree with you, but I will admit that I thought the All-Atlantic belt was dumb and it lead to some good stuff. 
Maybe Danielson wins and they wiggle it to have the Wrestle Kingdom Okada match be for that belt. Or Eddie wins and Akiyama, Kawada, Kobashi, and Taue come out and they all hug. Of Swerve wins and bleeds in more people’s mouths. It’s all up hill, baby!!!

I looked at the All-Atlantic/International and TNT titles as the equivalent to the IC and Euro titles from back in the day.

This would be like putting some of the top WWE guys in a round robin tournament for the NXT title or something. It only elevates the title, IMO. Why would Okada care about wrestling for the NJPW Openweight title and the ROH title when he can waltz into AEW and get a World title match tomorrow?

But, I mean, I’m always open to Swerve bleeding into more people’s mouths so sign me up, I guess?

Just now, Casey said:

I looked at the All-Atlantic/International and TNT titles as the equivalent to the IC and Euro titles from back in the day.

This would be like putting some of the top WWE guys in a round robin tournament for the NXT title or something. It only elevates the title, IMO. Why would Okada care about wrestling for the NJPW Openweight title and the ROH title when he can waltz into AEW and get a World title match tomorrow?

But, I mean, I’m always open to Swerve bleeding into more people’s mouths so sign me up, I guess?

But it’s not the ROH Title. It’s that times three (or maybe 2.5…or maybe 1.5) 

• Like 1

I guess a WWE Universe equivalent might be NXT + NXT UK + King of the Ring? Just rebranding, All-Atlantic -> International. Very silly and I wouldn’t do it but the people involved that will likely win it will hopefully give them more tv time and something for me to sink my teeth into as a viewer. 🤷🏻‍♂️
If it’s just a cute moment and nothing more happens then I’ll be sad. 🙍🏻‍♂️
All in all, if we get Swervy blood mouth action like we equally want, I’m happy. 💁🏻‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Octopus said:

But it’s not the ROH Title. It’s that times three (or maybe 2.5…or maybe 1.5) 

Do you really think they’re gonna absorb the ROH title into this Triple Crown and not have it be the main title for that brand, though? It’s still effectively the ROH World title. 😝

I would’ve just rather the “prize” be a shot at the title at Revolution or something. It’s sure as shit better than MJF just granting motherfuckers matches. Joe did some squashes and helped Max out for the ROH tag titles and gets a shot. At least whoever wins this worked for it. But oh well.

BLOOD SWERVE LFG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Do you really think they’re gonna absorb the ROH title into this Triple Crown and not have it be the main title for that brand, though? It’s still effectively the ROH World title. 😝

I think they’re tripling it. I’m just not sure if it’s three Rings or three Honors. I will say Ring of HHH might bring back too many Reign of Terror flashbacks for me. He is hot right now after pointing at a lot of cool developmental Indy talent, though. 

• Haha 1