DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

10 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The York Foundation was a weird name, sounds more like a group that's funding PBS nature programs rather than some big company trying to take over the lower/mid card of a wrestling promotion.

The York Foundation trying to homogenize a bunch of southern wrestlers was a stellar in-joke on the people running the promotion

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

What’s funny is Robert Gibson was already Robert, so wouldn’t have had to change his name if he had been the one to turn instead of Ricky. 

They could have used his middle initial, Robert H. Gibson or something like that. 

This thread had me thinking that a corporate heel stable using just the last names of the members would work better than some generic name, so instead of The York Foundation its York, Taylor, Morton & Rich LLC

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

What’s funny is Robert Gibson was already Robert, so wouldn’t have had to change his name if he had been the one to turn instead of Ricky. 

Now if they called him Bob Gibson, his gimmick could be that he attacks people for looking at him the wrong way.

Then again if Giant Gonzalez came out dressed like an assassin to attack the Undertaker, it would have been better than being dressed like a caveman. It would have been elegante in fact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

They could have used his middle initial, Robert H. Gibson or something like that. 

This thread had me thinking that a corporate heel stable using just the last names of the members would work better than some generic name, so instead of The York Foundation its York, Taylor, Morton & Rich LLC

The problem there is that wrestling firm names always have to be terrible acronyms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched the Fight Club Finland wrestling school documentary and it was actually very good. It was funny that the guy with most sports background (in ice hockey) and a look of a passable wrestler was fast tracked to the ring and pushed up the card from the word go. He got to beat everybody he faced and no-sell most of the minor offense by his opponents.

The hipster looking guy I referred to earlier was a pretty good seller, so he got his ass kicked most of the time. The young woman in the show was very good at the character and entertainment aspect, but during this show she was not trusted to get through an actual match, but was used as a valet and a mouthpiece from relatively early on.

Overall, this was way better than I ever expected. It's just kinda jarring that the guy who had some semblance of a physique was immediately pushed to the top. It makes me think I might actually have had a shot, if I was born 10 years later than I did. This is not to say that the guy didn't have talent. His power moves looked wonderfully crisp, but of course, it could be due to editing.

I may have to go and see a FCF show one of these days, if they ever travel outside of Helsinki again, and I guess going there to see it isn't out of the question, either.

Oh, and as a side note, the guy they pushed facially looked like Pete Dunne and Chuck Palumbo had a kid, so he definitely had the look down. The athletic background helped as he was already in a good cardiovascular condition and was used to contact sports.

Edited by Shartnado
That guy's face, tho...
  • Like 1

I’m sure that’s interesting. I’ll have to check it out when I’m in a more serious mood. Did any corporate stable ever last? Would the WWF one count? I’m not a WWF expert but I’m assuming that one was atleast booked towards what it turned into, and maybe even technically existed beyond what it once was. All of the other corporations were big giant corporations for a short while then poof they were gone. Meanwhile the stables with the worst spending habits lasted lol!

Had a dream where I was watching an episode of Raw that turned into one of those 90s/2000s nostalgia episodes and the Hardyz came out and I couldn’t figure out if they were quietly released by AEW or if they were given permission to appear

also I was pondering in the dream the idea of Brother Zay being teamed up with Top Flight/Andretti if the Hardyz weren’t in AEW

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

On that note, as my 1994 rewatch concludes, I thought it was interesting that Brian Armstrong/The Roadie managed to appear on WWF TV and WCW Saturday Night the same week (made his WWF TV debut on Raw and lost a job match on WCW SN). People always bring up Rick Rude jumping ship, but in a time where they're about to debut Henry O. Godwinn (!), Hakushi (!!), and we've seen the debut of MAN-OF-WAR (they cannot decide on what the chyron says and if he should be called just Aldo Montoya), I feel blessed that something notable is about to happen in a company that's about to reach the absolute nadir. Rude jumping was like the 10th most important thing in that 3 or 4 week span. Late 1994 WWF feels like I am trapped in hell and cannot escape.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Nah, Morton meant that when he said it 20 years ago. He only now says Kevin was smart to the business because he worked with him and got a decent pay day out of it.

i had completely forgotten that that event happened on PPV until it got brought to my attention a week or two back. amazing how many of those "legends" or "reunion" cards happened in like a 5 year span.

• Thanks 1

If Raw moves away from Mondays, do you think another credible network would want to have a wrestling program on their channel on Mondays just to fill that traditional void? Vice was ready to have MLW and CW almost had NWA, not on Mondays but they were willing to give these smaller brands a chance. AEW because of them not wanting to go up against the NFL have absolutely ruled out Mondays atleast on a regular basis. I think if another channel decide to pick up Wrestling on Mondays would probably do very well because it's not likely that audience would be big on watching Monday Night Football anyway. It would probably be an audience that isn't big sports fans to begin with. I'd like to see a channel atleast bigger than AXIS or whatever HDnet is get in the market for Wrestling on Mondays if Raw goes somewhere else on a different day 

Monday would be a pretty tempting night during the football offseason. But it would be kinda admitting weakness to have a show that actively avoids MNF. 

It would also be a bit unique for a promotion to alternate what their main TV show is based on time of year. Which means it would fail hard. Although could have two major shows to mark the beginning/end of the Monday show season.

Edited by Cobra Commander

On 12/17/2023 at 8:12 PM, The Great ML said:

Nah, Morton meant that when he said it 20 years ago. He only now says Kevin was smart to the business because he worked with him and got a decent pay day out of it.

Yep…agreed. And he still thinks it and is still right. I hated that match. That was an alltime old wrestler low point for me like Heroes of Wrestling is to many people. 

I still love ole Ricky Morton though. I hate that he has nothing but he could be in worse shape. Some guys his age who lost it all were in much worse shape this many years later.

• Like 1