DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’ve been away since Friday. When I left everyone was really excited about the tournament. Did they cancel it because of CM Punk? What a jerk, that guy.

Just watch old Sid and Marty Krofft clips and wait for more Evanier columns. 

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’ve been away since Friday. When I left everyone was really excited about the tournament. Did they cancel it because of CM Punk? What a jerk, that guy.

Not sure if this bit is old, but seeing Kingston vs Danielson is on Saturday and not Wednesday has made me childishly bitter and jealous. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This is the beginning of the end of AEW.

Maybe. Some will say you are overreacting and bust your balls for even posting this, some will refuse to acknowledge the thought, some will say you're full of crap and that AEW will be fine; I will simply say "maybe."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Maybe. Some will say you are overreacting and bust your balls for even posting this, some will refuse to acknowledge the thought, some will say you're full of crap and that AEW will be fine; I will simply say "maybe."

I'd have to assume this poster's thoughtless hot takes have long earned them an ignore. For those not ignoring I'd have to think the relentless negativity has earned little more than a few yawns. But if you're going to give weight to this spicy stand then go ahead and show the arithmetic.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'd have to assume this poster's thoughtless hot takes have long earned them an ignore. For those not ignoring I'd have to think the relentless negativity has earned little more than a few yawns. But if you're going to give weight to this spicy stand then go ahead and show the arithmetic.

I'm happy to - and just so we're clear, I'm not trying to be a dickhead to you/anyone else, or take an unnecessarily negative tone myself; I still love AEW, this is just the legit way I arrived at my 'maybe':

I took today off from work and was flipping through the channels, and when I'd seen the original post, I happened to settle on a TNA replay. Now, nothing against their current roster, but they are no Sting, Christian, Styles, Joe, etc.

I thought about how all it really took to squander what they'd built to that point was one bad signing - the one name that was supposed to get them to that ever-elusive "next level," brother.

Now listen, I'm in no way suggesting AEW will be anything but fine for the foreseeable future. It will be there as long as the money is.
"Beginning of the end" sure - hyperbolic as fuck. I totally get your POV, and I make no argument to defend such spice. But I thought it was something at least worth examining in the moment because death doesn't always look like death; sometimes it looks like becoming a streaming-content farm tucked away at a Tennessee rodeo or Universal backlot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It really depends on the severity - generally speaking recovery could take 4-9 months.

probably not a lot of wrestling moves one could do by just lifting with the legs and I could imagine backbumps not helping a shoulder injury

so I guess if he'll be out, that's one sign that they re-signed him because it'd be the sort of bad luck you'd expect for someone that actually signed for a few years

Losing QT will be tough for AEW's hookups with the jobber pipeline, won't it?

• Like 1

if future MJF opponents are gonna do arm work, i'm guessing they'd work on the arm without the torn labrum for the sake of courtesy. There's plenty of other ways for him to get accidentally hurt while working with a torn labrum, so don't put a hammerlock on the wrong arm.

Cornette having to direct Paul Heyman to hit his other knee (presumably the one which didn't get wiped out at Starrcade 86) during the Tuxedo match comes to mind right now.

On 11/26/2023 at 2:20 PM, TheVileOne said:

They've now lost three of their top stars to WWE. They build their Saturday primetime two-hour TV show around CM Punk. They built an entire title around Jade Cargill. Cody was their poster boy and face of the brand and the spokesperson. 

ECW lost top stars for years and kept their core fanbase till the end.  TK won't have Heyman's check-cashing problems.

AEW can survive this, and should.  They just need to stay the course, keep their fanbase, which is still pretty good, and slowly try to draw new folks with a mixture of continued quality and occasional surprises.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Sad to see QT go. I sense his backstage contribution is indeed a big loss. As a performer, I may very well stand alone, but I think he was an excellent lower card hand and a fun heel. It was obviously not for everyone here, but QTV has been consistently excellent for some of us. Lastly, the ROH Tag title match on a Rampage, months back, with Hobbs against Penta and Fenix was pretty fucking rad.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

@TheVileOne was right. This really is the beginning of the end.

It is for me! 

This is the final straw w/r/t AEW moving hard away from being a great big loveable indie promotion and shifting full on into a granda-pandering nostalgia generator and Burger King second-tier mainstream corporate content generator.

Good luck to them.

Congratulations to everyone who complained whenever AEW did anything non-standard and quirky.

Really. Good luck, and congrats!

Obviously I am going to enjoy the rest of the tournament and continue to watch casually thereafter (and passionately during Forbidden Door Season)

But as far as obsessively watching every week and commenting/discussing regularly? 

Given that Edge and Paige and Jarrett and other nostalgia acts are in and QT and Sonny Kiss and The Librarians and other charming/quirky indie folk are out... Given that this is the direction... Given how AEW are treating their loyal fans w/r/t Fight Forever...

In terms of being a passionate fan?

giphy.gif

Edit1: Also, Bull Nakano, shouldn't you just be a WWE guy now, anyway? I kind of feel bad for Andy from Kansas probably having to Join The Universe as well, with Cody AND Punk over there now. I get the sense, though, that you (Casey) will be just fine making the switch. I'll be just fine, too. There's plenty of indie wrestling in Osaka, much of it involving my friends. I'll miss the discussion with AEW. That was fun. But there's not much point in me continuing to discuss why AEW should stick with what made them hot in 2019-2021. That's not what they are any more. 

Edit2: My LAST word on that specific topic, possibly: Shifting hard toward the WWE-esque mainstream sure doesn't seem to be helping ticket sales or viewer numbers in any significant way. I simply can't buy in to the "This is what they have to do if they want to grow" narrative. I really believe that AEW could have done every bit as well while continuing to be quirky and indie and different.

(Edit3: Probably seems like an overreaction. Fair enough. But to me this is like Metallica headlining Lollapalooza and Perry Farrell leaving. Just a clear sign that a thing I loved and enjoyed is changing into something else. Nothing against Metallica. Or Edge. I would just prefer my fun weird thing to stay weird. My perspective is also, to be clear, WAY more "that was fun while it lasted" than "fuck them for changing.")

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3