DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Butcher & Blade are gone, too. They just had a dark match before Dynamite last night.

😭

Now THAT is a surprise. I thought we'd never see them leave. Watch them hit TNA, go from eternal losers (I seriously don't think I EVER saw them win a match) to be tag champions in a week. 

To join in on top and bottom 15:

Spoiler

1. King

2. Danielson

3. Moxley

4. Joe

5. Christian

6. Darby

7. Willow

8. Miro

9. Orange

10. Lee

11. MARK FUCKIN' BRISCOE

12. Tony Nese

13 (heh). Abadon

15. Ethan Page

Those last three are my Lovable Losers. Any time they show up it's worth it. Unfortunately two got shuttled off to ROH and Abadon is only allowed one match a year. Would love to put Athena near the top but she is exclusively ROH unlike the other two and I dumped that sub. I'm counting Briscoe because you better. Dustin is you honorary top three man really. I want Skye and Lance and Kris on there... Brody Lee... shit lets just make that twenty? I'd like Knife Pervert to be up there but his promos are just the pits. 

Bottoms down:

Spoiler

1. Bucks

2. Penta

3. Fenix (surprising maybe, but he has just been fucking things up recently) 

4. Guns (Juicey Boy should be on the other list)

5. Fucking VINCENT should be #1 actually, and the other guy with him

6. Hangman

7. Even though he is really great, MJF matches have almost been looking like parody work and I'm getting way tired of him being the focal point. 

8. Adaaaaaaaaam

9. The guy in the wheelchair

10. Maybe this is punching low but I think Dr. Looser is one of the worst professional wrestlers they've given time to and aside from being bizarre he has shown no talent at anything. Sorry dude, good luck being Toni's heater. 

Going lower than this doesn't seem fair.

EDIT: Jeez, Brody KING. I mean we all have Brodie in our memorial wing permanently.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FourPostMassacre said:

You need this break I hope everything is better when you get back. 

Yeah, I’ll be a nice long break from AEW *hides phone playing Hangman’s theme and Evil Uno calves tattoos*

• Haha 2

My top 15 in the ring, in no particular order

Spoiler

Bryan Danielson

Brody King

Darby Allin

Claudio

Daniel Garcia

RUSH

Jamie Hayter

Willow Nightingale

Emi Sakura

Samoan Joseph

Jon Moxley

Eddie Kingston

Adam Page

Orange Cassidy

FTR

Honorable mentions Bandido, Miro, 2.0, Workhorsemen, Athena, Gunns

Bottom 5

Spoiler

Adam Cole

Taya Valkyrie

Saraya

Johnny TV

??? There aren't actually that many people I dislike

A special 'most improved' award to Big Bill.

• Like 2

Sorta sad to see Butcher and Blade and Bunny go, but also hopeful they’ll find success and needed overall game improvements working over seas and in Impact/indies. Particularly interested to see if Butch can get a little seasoning  and be AEWs first comeback story.

According to the Observer site, a recent episode of Rampage was changed last minute because Metalik refused to do a job. Metalik. Not sure if he's someone in a position to refuse taking a pin (although evidently he is because he didn't lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Infinit said:

According to the Observer site, a recent episode of Rampage was changed last minute because Metalik refused to do a job. Metalik. Not sure if he's someone in a position to refuse taking a pin (although evidently he is because he didn't lol)

He got bounced from CMLL in only two weeks over the summer, so this tracks. Dude seems like a bonehead.

• Like 1

To be honest, as much as I love B&B, them hitting the indys or Japan for a year or 2 and coming back to AEW or ROH isn't the worst idea. We need to stop expecting talent to be lifers because WWE doesn't mind employing people like that. The business was built on talent moving around and not getting stale. Not on someone like the Miz doing in 2023 doing basically the same as he did on 2013. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

without checking, I think one of them is like 40-45, so... I think their ceiling is "gatekeeper tag team that would be managed by Paul Jones in their were in the Carolinas in the 1980s"

Ah, hogwash! Sting's got him beat by 2.5 decades. It's about TV age, you know this. Butcher's as fresh to America's airwaves as Nick Wayne is.

And to paraphrase Dave Chappelle: "Look, he made Hot Damn. Hot Damn."

• Thanks 1

I love Butcher because he was old as shit before he even got into wrestling, which I give massive respect to.

As for my dislike of Juice, he just hasn't connected with me yet and BCG as a group just doesn't butter my crumpet. It just takes time with some people to find their groove. Kind of like a foreign footballer coming into the Premier League, takes them a season to figure out how things work. Swerve had this for me and now I love his tricky/smooth wrestling ways. 

To be fair it was really hard to get to 10 I dislike, which speaks volumes to how talented AEW's roster is.

• Like 2

I have absolutely no evidence of any reason but physical health could be just as likely a reason here too since she seemingly would be a bit start-stop due to injury.

Now i'm not sure how much one has to do to keep making money from Patreon subscribers but it's certainly a lot less physical than wrestling.

There have been a few people who have either pretty much moved from wrestling to other paid pursuits in the last year (Mandy Rose, Lacey Evans seems to be keeping herself busy, etc).. so there's a bit less of a concussion risk while taking photos than wrestling. Or to be more optimistic.. "pursuing other interests while allowing the body to heal" instead of just leaving wrestling for good.

• Like 2

We don't know what we don't know on this one; that's why I started making lists instead.

That and because Trent's ringwork (hits stuff clean but makes decisions I'm not on board with) increasingly bugs me and I needed a clever way to express that without writing up his match with Garcia from last week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

feels like the "guys who started with AEW in 2019 are getting nudged to the side by the people who started with AEW during the 2020s" dynamic is a slowmoving process over the years.. some of the indyriffic guys getting bumped out of AEW were pretty obvious cuts but it's sort of a swap of those guys in favor of people who were on NXT within the last 5 years