DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Yeah, that was some of the laziest creative they've ever done. It's as if somebody put a kibosh on the segment having any meaning (what a stretch!) or fun content. 'Oh, just improvise, the hilarity is, GET THIS, it's black and white and silent!'

Hey now, we don't know that was improvised! There is very well a script for that which she shall post forthwith. 

• Haha 1

One thing that's interesting both here and online is the wide variance in opinions on the show and the matches. The Shida-Saraya match is split between people thinking it was trash and people who think it was a great carry job. No one seems upset that Saraya lost, but there are people who wanted others and the Shida superfans who disagree. Some people think that Rey Fenix shouldn't have lost and deserves to be a long-term singles champion, others think that OC and/or Moxley never should have lost it. Like with Shida, there are some hardcore Lucha Brother superfans out there. Some here think Swerve should have gone over and been pushed to main event AEW title contender, others find him unwatchable.

One thing just about everyone agrees on is that Tony Khan needs to stay off Twitter for a while.

• Like 5

Something I liked about this Dynamite was the different lengths of matches. OC/Fenix is the kind of match Dynamite and Collision need more of. Very attitude style, 5 minutes, both guys get a lot of shit in, still packs in a lot of story, no commercial break necessary. No one comes away from that match thinking it's a squash just because it finished in one segment. The "average 12 minute match" has been way overdone by now, and with more matches like this, things like Swerve/Dragon stand out in contrast. The show also had a Wardlow squash and Hobbs semi-squashing Jericho.

I also thought Shida/Saraya was a top match for both in AEW (I know Saraya has a very small sample size). If that was on NXT in 2014, people would've gone nuts for it. It says a lot about the hard work numerous women have done to completely flip the script on women's wrestling in the US over the last 10 years when this particular match flies under the radar. Also, it was a logical setup for the inevitable Outcast triple threat, which I don't think anyone was really calling for, but will work thanks to the re-invention of Timeless Toni.

• Like 6

Is there a wide variance about Edge/Luchasaurus too?

Anyways, the one thing that AEW could distinguish themselves from the WWE is the whole thing that a lot of WWE TV doesn’t really have anything notable happening. Good matches, but must-see things? Well..

then again, WWE TV is available on the network at some time afterwards and AEW is part of an entertainment entity that hasn’t given them any streaming space. So if you don’t watch AEW live or record it then.

But Raw has 3 hours a week and how much actually happens on Raw?

Just now, Go2Sleep said:

TK is the only good billionaire, but his billionaire tendencies still show through sometimes. He gets very Elon-like online.

There are NO good billionaires, especially generational ones. 

Just because he used to post here, he's not common folk.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Is there a wide variance about Edge/Luchasaurus too?

There is variance from "that was the worst AEW match ever" to "it wasn't that bad, but maybe not the best opponent to start off with"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hard disagree. Love adderrall-postin Tony. Picking petty feuds, talking shit, being weirdly defensive, making personal attacks on his perceived enemies. One of us! One of us!

Something I have been thinking about as it relates to AEW attendance cooling off and just using the old scientific anecdotal eyeball test: AEW is wrestling for like 30+ year old dorks. There is inherently a limit to how many of those there are (many of them, myself included are right here on this forum!). Whereas WWE, whether I (a definitely 30+ year old dork) like it or not, makes wrestling for kids which is, at least in my lifetime, who wrestling is for. I don’t get LA Knight, but he’s not FOR me. The kids love him. He says wacky stuff, he looks kinda like George Michael (the kids still dig him, right?) and he has perfectly serviceable punch and kick matches. It’s brand new stuff if you’re 10! And the only way to grow your base is making new fans out of little kids or the elusive (non-existant) casual.

The most casual exposure AEW has gotten (assuming nobody gets too mad about the quarters thing) is through the very WWE-ish Jade and through the very kid friendly Orange Cassidy. It may just be that you need kids to drive attendance because if you are 8, you gotta go with your parents. That’s at least double the tickets. I went to Wrestledream and had a blast but anyone under 15 looked like they would rather be in a library.

It’a a tough needle to thread. I tend to think that the more different the alternative to WWE is, the better, but financially I may be wrong. I tend to love beautiful failures and not taking a dump truck of cash from the Saudis, so nobody should come to me looking to fix their business decisions, but it’s definitely been a strange feeling to go to live events and be missing that vibe of young true believers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

There is variance from "that was the worst AEW match ever" to "it wasn't that bad, but maybe not the best opponent to start off with"

Yeah, Luchasaurus was kind of a weird choice for Copeland's first AEW match. This isn't a knock on Luchasaurus, who I generally like and think has an undeserved rep as a big stiff. He was working pretty light with Adam and has generally proven to be a solid "high floor low ceiling" kinda guy. Still, anyone that has watched both guys recently could see this was gonna be an awkward styles clash from a mile away. Copeland was working way too WWE-style here giving way too much offense to the heel when the circumstances didn't call for it and lots of resting. Nick Wayne would've been a way better choice since he's naturally more of an "AEW style" guy and Copeland as the vet would have to work with that calling match and likely take more offense for himself given the size and experience advantage. Nick would bump and make Copeland's offense look strong in his debut and you protect Luchasaurus' cred as the muscle without having to do a finish where Copeland is cheating to win in his debut after taking 90% of the offense.

• Like 2

The smallest guy in Christian’s group is Nick Wayne but I can see that argument for not always using Nick Wayne was the bumping dummy eating moves as Christian and Luchasaurus get out of the way.

Having Edge wrestle some merc instead of someone in the Christian group would be almost too predictable since I think that has been done a bunch around here.

I watched Dynamite on Wednesday, as the good lord intended.

Swerve/Danielson was real, real good.  I liked Swerve trying some amateur stuff to hang on the mat with Danielson and then bailing when he was getting smoked.  All of his weird little extra movements and rolls felt like him genuinely trying to juke Danielson instead of unnecessary embellishments, like when he actually got a trip with a dropdown.  I also enjoyed the throughline of Danielson trying to power through the rib injury but failing to make adjustments to his offense and injuring himself.  Gold stars all around.

Jericho/Hobbs should have been two minutes shorter.  I got a lot of beef with what Jericho does but I commend his willingness to get pinned clean.

Page/White was a poor stylistic matchup.  Agree with whoever in the thread said that Page's all-big offense didn't really give enough opportunities for White to get in his little cutoff spots.  Definitely didn't need to go through two commercial breaks.  The post match stuff was.. eh.  The idea of MJF and his ring vs Juice and his quarters in a loaded-fist-off is a really good one, tying it into Max's past and the thinly-veiled antisemitism stuff was not great.  I assume that this ends with Juice getting a diamond ring shaped dent in his forehead for talking wild, but we'll see.  I'm into the idea of MJF being pushed to the limit by Joe and BCG without Cole there to steady him.

Wardlow looks like Giant Ethan Page now and I don't like it.

Shida/Saraya was a not-good match with the right finish.  Saraya isn't giving you much these days and Shida needs someone who will lean into her offense more to make it look good.  Saraya having her previously-protected finisher kicked out of twice was certainly something.  Hope Shida gets a real title reign this time.

I haven't cared about Edge in 20 years and nothing he's done in AEW has changed that perception.  I did like the closing brawl with all the different feuds overlapping.

• Like 4