DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/4 - 10/10/2023 - On This Day, I. P. Freely

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

On the other hand, I have argued, long and loud, for the high value of "inside jokes" when it comes to forming a sense of community and the EXTREMELY high value of said sense in creating a passionately loyal fanbase (in the postmodern and fractured media landscape) ((lets say)

I agree with this. I love when promotions create their own rules and follow along with them. Dragon Gate's most deadly weapon throughout their history, for example, is a plastic storage box that often shatters when it is used. It doesn't matter that it looks like such a weak weapon, everyone sells it as death, therefore in their world it makes all the sense in the world in THEIR world.

I wonder if AEW has walked away from some of their goofy early charm because they needed to get along with other promotions that may not acknowledge the things that don't make sense within their worlds. After all, what may work in AEW's world may not work in New Japan's world, so now you have to explain to New Japan's fanbase why this should make sense to them when it makes perfect sense in AEW, et cetera, et cetera, and perhaps it's easier to just reduce those instances if you want to play ball with the other groups?

I dunno. Just spitballing. But I do like when promotions ask me to walk into their world and make up their own rules, as long as they follow them consistently.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

God I have a hard time paying attention to Rampage. Multiman matches and AAA talent. But there were two things:

1. Sonjay appearing to close out their segment by saying "Don't touch my vagina"

2. Levi Shapiro! Pale, pasty shlub of a jobber with a Baby Huey physique! Fingerless glove that says "I have a real good right hand", and he does! Got a kick outta that dude. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Happy birthday my friend, will give you a shoutout in the appropriate thread my time tomorrow.

Thank you, my friend! PERFECT choice of a birthday image there. Popped me.

Lot of super-enjoyable peripheral stuff on my Birthday Rampage!

Loved ex-JAS's matching white trousers ring gear. And the 4-way hug.

Whose Hausen? Dan Hausen!

I ❤ roided-up jobbers. (Apologies to Wise Guy if he got that bench-pressy naturally. Also, hats off, if so).

Plz add Giant Swing Dropkick Combo to Fight Forever, along with Lung Blower One Winged Angel Combo.

"What is this! A discotheque?" popped me like a Bryan Danielson is All Elite birthday post. Also, if Garcia gets abandoned by ex-JAS BECAUSE he is now TOO committed to sports entertainment/dancing, that is just GORGEOUS irony.

Mad King on commentary for the Underground-esque 4-way! (because he's fighting the winner) gifts us with: "Oh! Like a kitty-cat! I get it!" AND " Then get kicked in the face, like a human being" 😃 AND the resulting match will be one hell of a clash of styles.

Also loved that SPLX t-shirt. Considered buying one myself but I honestly have too many Japanese wrestling t-shirts already. Plus SPLX shirts are relatively pricey.

Plz bring back Shida's old theme music! And the nose boop. But plz keep giving women the Main Event slot on Rampage. That has been going well, in my opinion.

Really enjoyed Hot Tag Stat, and Shida clicking the right thumbstick for the... FINISHER THEFT!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up on Dynamite. I thought it was pretty good to great overall, even with all the promos.

Fenix-Nick Jackson was a performance (instead of a fight) and felt like a rerun. I love the fact that they’re already hinting at running OC back against Mox.

Wardlow squash was a surprise and that’s about it. They had something hot and blew it, but maybe they’ll save it with long-term storytelling.

The Acclaimed match didn’t even keep my attention, such a foregone conclusion. I’m not sure how they can do it, but they need to have them lose the trios belts and get back into the super-competitive tag team division and have some good matches again.

Speaking of tag matches, I’m another odd-person out because I thought that match was fucking great. Takeshita finally got to cut loose a bit, I’m a big fan of Fletcher and they really got him over in defeat. I know Kenny isn’t old but there was a very good “young but experienced guys versus grizzled vets” storyline they really leaned into. Post-match went too long and had some birches but glad to see Hobbs get a shot at being elevated.

I called Toni and Skye having a very good match due to their previous encounters, and this had the bonus of a lot of character work and storytelling. I personally loved the “and now a word from our sponsors” bit, and remember that it didn’t immediately cut to commercial so we got the “how about a titty slap” bit complete with a massive chop. Skye was less bubbly (other than her, well) and more aggressive. They might almost be able to pull off another Julia Hart storyline with her.

The rest was talk, almost all of which hit for me. The Copeland intro with Kenny and the “edge” joke. The sheer camp of the Cole-Neck Strong posse. The sheer brilliance of Timeless Toni Storm. Juice rightly calling out how corny and stilted the “tofu” promo was, his Jack Black energy, and Jay White leaving MJF laying. Orange Cassidy getting across how awkward it is for him to really care about something (that being the International Title) and Hook’s encouragement (just wish Renee had taken a chip).

Copeland’s promo was great, named a ton of potential interesting matches, and then addressed the elephant in the room. Even greater was Christian, seething that his “best friend” was there to upstage him again when he’s finally having his moment. I’m hoping for a good time, not a long time, but I will definitely mark out a lot when they finally settle their differences and have one last tag run before passing the torch. I hear everyone loves The Acclaimed...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

I agree with this. I love when promotions create their own rules and follow along with them. Dragon Gate's most deadly weapon throughout their history, for example, is a plastic storage box that often shatters when it is used. It doesn't matter that it looks like such a weak weapon, everyone sells it as death, therefore in their world it makes all the sense in the world in THEIR world.

I wonder if AEW has walked away from some of their goofy early charm because they needed to get along with other promotions that may not acknowledge the things that don't make sense within their worlds. After all, what may work in AEW's world may not work in New Japan's world, so now you have to explain to New Japan's fanbase why this should make sense to them when it makes perfect sense in AEW, et cetera, et cetera, and perhaps it's easier to just reduce those instances if you want to play ball with the other groups?

I dunno. Just spitballing. But I do like when promotions ask me to walk into their world and make up their own rules, as long as they follow them consistently.

Spoken like a true Lucha Underground fan.

I think some of the lost goofy early charm is a realization that WWE has established what a wrestling promotion is for a generation, you can't try to be offbeat and main stream at the same time. And even if we don't like it AEW sponsors and WBD probably appreciate them trying to be a main stream product 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I think some of the lost goofy early charm is a realization that WWE has established what a wrestling promotion is for a generation, you can't try to be offbeat and main stream at the same time. And even if we don't like it AEW sponsors and WBD probably appreciate them trying to be a main stream product 

I think you're on point with this. Along the same lines, and I could be wrong, but my impression is that some of the recent visual changes to the shows like the new LED stages, graphics packages, and things like that are because of WWE establishing a certain presentation, to a degree. I see talk from a segment of fans of that generation who feel that anything that doesn't resemble WWE looks low-rent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Thank you, my friend! PERFECT choice of a birthday image there. Popped me.

Lot of super-enjoyable peripheral stuff on my Birthday Rampage!

Loved ex-JAS's matching white trousers ring gear. And the 4-way hug.

Whose Hausen? Dan Hausen!

I ❤ roided-up jobbers. (Apologies to Wise Guy if he got that bench-pressy naturally. Also, hats off, if so).

Plz add Giant Swing Dropkick Combo to Fight Forever, along with Lung Blower One Winged Angel Combo.

"What is this! A discotheque?" popped me like a Bryan Danielson is All Elite birthday post. Also, if Garcia gets abandoned by ex-JAS BECAUSE he is now TOO committed to sports entertainment/dancing, that is just GORGEOUS irony.

Mad King on commentary for the Underground-esque 4-way! (because he's fighting the winner) gifts us with: "Oh! Like a kitty-cat! I get it!" AND " Then get kicked in the face, like a human being" 😃 AND the resulting match will be one hell of a clash of styles.

Also loved that SPLX t-shirt. Considered buying one myself but I honestly have too many Japanese wrestling t-shirts already. Plus SPLX shirts are relatively pricey.

Plz bring back Shida's old theme music! And the nose boop. But plz keep giving women the Main Event slot on Rampage. That has been going well, in my opinion.

Really enjoyed Hot Tag Stat, and Shida clicking the right thumbstick for the... FINISHER THEFT!

Pleasure, pal. Glad you liked the picture I picked. Best wishes xxx.

• Thanks 1

On the subject of wrestling shows falling on your birthday. My birthday is the 6th of March:

• AEW Revolution 2021 was on my birthday weekend, 7th March at 1am. The 8th UK time.
  • AEW Revolution 2022 was the 6th March as I went to see The Batman with my Dad/Aje but it went out on the 7th UK time at 1am.
  • AEW Revolution 2023 is the 5th of March but will be on my actual birthday as it'll be the 6th UK time at 1am.
  • AEW Elevation and WWE RAW is the 6th of March USA time, the 7th over here.
  • The 51st Anniversary of NJPW will be on my birthday UK time.

Next year is a leap year so I'll get the flagship show, AEW Dynamite on the 6th US time, 7th here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I have to settle for weekly TV unless a promotion runs a PPV on Veterans Day.

I don't remember ever having a WWE one on my birthday as it's too early (6th March) in the month. My Sister's had a few Royal Rumble (22nd January). My Dad one at least, Over the Edge 1998 (31st May). Don't remember my late great Mum getting a WWE PPV either. We've all had weekly TV shows though.

Western wrestling fans hate rematches, because WWE's  "limited wrestling"  style ensures that most of their rematches are identical to the original match. The commentators my try and sell it as "They know each other now, they know strengths and weaknesses", but outside of maybe one move that hit first time getting reversed once, they don't really do the kind of spot progression. And the "he's working over Big Show's Arm to make it harder to hit the Chokeslam, and maybe it'll be less effective", that's usually paid off by Big Show winning with the Chokeslam anyway, so that teaches fans that the body of the match isn't important, and limbwork doesn't matter.

Now Fenix vs Nick, that suffered from Nick only selling the leg in between moves, and his kicks not appearing any less effective with a hurt leg than they are with a healthy one. But, they tried at least to shake it up. Have more of a stand and strike fight instead of the pure aerial battle they had 4 years ago.

Speaking of aerial battles, the 4 way on Rampage, Lince vs Komander vs Johnny TV vs Penta, that made me think how spoiled we are as wrestling fans in 2023. You take than match and drop it on a Raw or a Nitro in 1996, and we'd be talking about it today as the greatest thing we'd ever seen in our lives. But it happened in 2023 and the reaction if "They did their stuff, it was OK I guess".

Harley Cameron is a really good singer. That was a live vocal, the mic audibly went thunk when she dropped it on the stage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

You will be shocked to know that I haven't watched a single minute of Lucha Underground ever! I've had people tell me I'd like it, but I've never actually seen it.

No, I watch a promotion where if it's your birthday, it's okay for everyone on the card to run in and splash you in the corner during your match.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

On the subject of wrestling shows falling on your birthday. My birthday is the 6th of March:

• AEW Revolution 2021 was on my birthday weekend, 7th March at 1am. The 8th UK time.
  • AEW Revolution 2022 was the 6th March as I went to see The Batman with my Dad/Aje but it went out on the 7th UK time at 1am.
  • AEW Revolution 2023 is the 5th of March but will be on my actual birthday as it'll be the 6th UK time at 1am.
  • AEW Elevation and WWE RAW is the 6th of March USA time, the 7th over here.
  • The 51st Anniversary of NJPW will be on my birthday UK time.

Next year is a leap year so I'll get the flagship show, AEW Dynamite on the 6th US time, 7th here.

Got me curious so I went and had a look. Not a lot whatsoever. a Thunder taping from 1999 that had a main event of Bagwell and La Parka vs Rick Steiner and Lex Luger which sounds absurd and King of the Ring 1989. Slim pickings.

• Like 1

Not a fan of the shoot names stuff either. Too "everything you've seen is fake and inconsequential but this is serious business" at the best of times. In the context that he felt so passionately about saving Sting, he waited until his mini-movie aired and his pyro/entrance music went off, it seemed a bit irrelevant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2