DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/27 - 10/3/2023 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

I wonder if she ever finds her Destination. I know Tony loves long term storytelling, but... 

And Choo Choo, I am on the Righteous train! Hope they beat MJF. 

The day she debuted Excalibur said something like “the destination is most certainly known, and it’s AEW!”

Case closed 😎

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Shida vs Soho, not only the main event of Rampage, but also the longest match on Rampage. Having a big American promotion that responds to criticism (in this case, the criticism that Women's matches are always placed in the death spot on the show, and given less time) by actually taking it on board and changing course is a very unfamiliar feeling.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Shida vs Soho, not only the main event of Rampage, but also the longest match on Rampage. Having a big American promotion that responds to criticism (in this case, the criticism that Women's matches are always placed in the death spot on the show, and given less time) by actually taking it on board and changing course is a very unfamiliar feeling.

Eh. They've had women's matches be the main event on Rampage before, that's not too big of a shock. TBF, with the PPV coming up and most of your main male players occupied for it, it's a perfect time to throw a women's match as the ME and give it some time.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm letting my imagination run away but my immediate thought when Callis and Nana were conspiring is that Hangman vs Swerve is going to be a double turn. Hangman joins Callis because he resents Omega already forgetting about him to team with Ibushi and Jericho; Callis scores a huge emotional gain over Omega by having one of his closest allies/most experienced rivals join his Family,; Nana sacrifices Swerve to the Callis Family because they offer him a bribe and he's all about the money; Swerve and Hangman both get fresh coats of paint and Swerve can lose in Seattle because it will make everyone want to see him get his revenge (plus now that they've confirm Darby is main eventing they can send everyone home happy when he beats Christian). 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Maybe I'm letting my imagination run away but my immediate thought when Callis and Nana were conspiring is that Hangman vs Swerve is going to be a double turn. Hangman joins Callis because he resents Omega already forgetting about him to team with Ibushi and Jericho; Callis scores a huge emotional gain over Omega by having one of his closest allies/most experienced rivals join his Family,; Nana sacrifices Swerve to the Callis Family because they offer him a bribe and he's all about the money; Swerve and Hangman both get fresh coats of paint and Swerve can lose in Seattle because it will make everyone want to see him get his revenge (plus now that they've confirm Darby is main eventing they can send everyone home happy when he beats Christian). 

Bonus: New member rotated into The Embassy with that idea (hopefully).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, porksweats said:

Bonus: New member rotated into The Embassy with that idea (hopefully).

Plus maybe a singles push for Toa Liona, who continues to look awesome. 

Few other random Collision thoughts (from what I watched, which was about 2/3rds of the show):

ZSJ is a really fun promo but holy hell was putting him in the commentary booth (especially with Nigel to banter with) an unwelcome distraction in the main. I made it about 2 mins into this one before tapping out, also factoring in that I can't watch more then one Kyle Fletcher match in a two-day span so I'm storing my patience for the ppv. 

Julia Hart looked great again tonight. Up until now I would have thought it was a terrible idea to take the belt off Stat but Julia's having really good matches consistently and the crowd seems to have formed a consensus to get behind her, so it might be time to strike while the iron's hot. 

I rag on the Righteous all the time because their gimmick and promos are so cringey (plus, unlike Dutch, Vincent isn't very good in the ring), but even I was feeling for them out there trying to hype this match with MJF and just getting zero reaction from the crowd until the go-away "STFU" chant started. I think it's going to be even uglier tonight at the ppv, although at least the match will have some heat because people will want to see Max beat them. The Misery-inspired hobbling board bit at the end was pretty stupid too, and uncomfortably dark in the context of a storyline that has allowed room for a lot of comedy. This push has clearly been a failed experiment, and in both their defences I don't think there was anything the Righteous or Tony Khan could have done differently, I just think outside of a fair-sized but relatively small cult following (pun intended) the crowd doesn't really want to see these guys, so it's better to keep them on ROH/somewhere lower in the mid-card. 

Also in regard to that match, damn if the two dudes the Righteous squashed didn't look like Noah-era  Kobashi and Akiyama for a hot second when the camera first showed them. 

I like how between first RUT and now NUGENIX we've had not one but two sleazy testo supplement companies buy up advertising time during Collison. 

Between the devil ninja intrigue and all these cryptic allusions to The New Era beginning, I gotta admit I'm pretty excited in a very mark-y to see what transpires at Wrestledream and over the next few weeks of tv and press calls. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

ZSJ is a really fun promo but holy hell was putting him in the commentary booth (especially with Nigel to banter with) an unwelcome distraction in the main. I made it about 2 mins into this one before tapping out, also factoring in that I can't watch more then one Kyle Fletcher match I'm a two-day span so I'm storing my patience for the ppv.

It doesn't help that he's a chav. I could do without hearing him again.

Never heard of TMDK, but if they got Lanny Poffo to come back from the dead and join that can't be too bad, plus they have SLAPSHOT!

• Like 1

TMDK stands for The Mighty  Don't Kneel. So presumably nobody in the group is allowed to do Backbreakers.

Before I checked, I assumed it was a Nick Gage reference.

Edited by AxB

Re: Collision

Andrade v Juice was a nice opener. Juice was excellent here, but, UGH, he needs to tighten up on calling spots into the camera. Andrade is an absolutely spectacular performer. One of the best in-ring.

Toni Storm’s character is great, but having a point to her promo segments would greatly improve them.

Nice Kingdom v Besties bout. Big hug spot was terrible strategy. Post-match Taven promo was a bit ridiculous, but well delievered. I’m not complaining but Bennett doing slapstick in the background was a little too over the top. 

Don Callis-Prince Nana getting caught chatting was perhaps the highlight of the night. Nana continues to build his star with a terrific promo.

Julia Hart squash was good. Stat’s promo was weak, but she says she’s working to steadily improve the mic work, so at least the weakness is identified.

Jericho/Omega v GOA was fun. The post match promo was awful. Not one of Ken’s better promos, and Jericho as a babyface always results in the most cliched shitty promos. Still, very interested in this team, and the big trios PPV match. Hoping, really hoping, Ibushi is better than he's been.

TMDK promo was good. Good introduction. It’d help to throw in a few highlights during their talk. Zero Hour is one of the strangest cards of the year. Claudio v Barnett, sure. 

Danielson/Yuta/FTR v Aussies/Starks/Bill was on point. Nigel/Sabre were both hilarious and fucking wonderful. Loved Starks giving 'Nige' his flowers pre-match. Also, JR’s been listenable and totally fine in this Collision Main Event role. Fun, fun, fun Collision! The last couple weeks have both had a lot more momentum and excitement than most of the run prior.

Re: Rampage

Excellent over-delivering Assclaimed v Hardys/Zay opener. Jeff looked a lot better here. I really appreciate the Hardys going on a warranted losing streak. Kingston v Rocky followed and continued to the strong momentum. Nice simple set-up/very much looking forward to Shibata v King.

The Righteous looked good in their squashes. Nice Ortiz-Santana video package. Solid Nick Wayne promo. Loved the packages for Darby v Christian.

The closing stretch of Shida v Ruby was solid. The Blue Thunder would’ve been a bit more effective for the finish. Good crowd for the Rampage tapings.

• Like 1

Rampage was excellent, I think every match other than the squash was better than anything on Dynamite. The trios match in particular was a lot of fun, Bowens and Zay paired up really well and I was thinking that they could be a fun tag team if Caster were to get hurt.

Always enjoy seeing Rocky Romero and that was a great match that really got Eddie over more. The PPV match against Shibata not being Pure rules will be interesting, but also allows Eddie to get a clean win.

Dutch did two more killer Bossman slams so that was cool.

The main took a while but finished really strong. Someday Ruby is going to get a big win. I don’t know why she decided to go for a pin when she had literally just seen the ref get knocked out of the ring. One note: talking about Shida being a top striker while she’s doing her terrible corner punches was a bad choice.

13 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

*Mighty

And you guys not knowing them? Coach Tony is disappointed. 

How long have they been with New Japan anyway? I remember they were a big deal in Noah awhile back which would have been the last time I gave them much thought. I was disappointed because I thought they said BADBOY Hido would be joining them at first.

3 hours ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

Isle of Sheppey is a pretty deprived area apparently (obviously I haven't been, noone has, and I'm from West London), but ZSJ is a vegan politico who listens to Nils Frahm. That's about as unchav as it gets.

Plus he went into that impromptu Dizzee Rascal recitation in his one promo, which seems pretty unchav. Although I'm from Hamilton ON and have no idea what a chav is anyway but I'm assuming it's something similar to a douchebag. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

That finish in the main event.. What was Cash doing there? How did he not break up that pin in time? 

Yeah that wasn't great. But to be fair your signature .gif of Orton kinda sums up my feelings about it.

7 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Julia Hart looked great again tonight. Up until now I would have thought it was a terrible idea to take the belt off Stat but Julia's having really good matches consistently and the crowd seems to have formed a consensus to get behind her, so it might be time to strike while the iron's hot. 

Based on AEW's booking trends, I don't know about that one. 🤣

• Like 1