DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

The whole downside to the "you need to job to everyone on the way out" is you don't have enough time usually to set up multiple programs or at the very least logical reasons for that person on the way out to lose to people that are staying. You're lucky to get one job out of someone. To count on multiple clean losses is basically fool's gold unless that person is under contract for a good while. If someone is on the way out and it's reported that it is SOON, usually that means what it says. Moreover, you're not going to get that rub you need. This has been done for decades and rarely does it work out to great effect. Yeah, you beat someone who everyone knows is leaving. Congratulations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think SLK did this on purpose just cause she knows Jun's daughter supposedly likes SLK. However, based on this absolute no sell, either Jun doesn't know what his kid likes OR she was absolutely terrified. Given that she is Jun Kasai's daughter, the fact THIS could terrify her and not seeing her dad be gashed opened on a regular basis makes wonder her sense of normalcy is at such a young age.

If they have watched any of his matches or seen Kasai post deathmatch then I would be shocked if there is much that could scare Kasai's kids. That does remind me of Hana Kimura crying her eyes out while Kyoko held her in a post deathmatch interview.

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

If they have watched any of his matches or seen Kasai post deathmatch then I would be shocked if there is much that could scare Kasai's kids. That does remind me of Hana Kimura crying her eyes out while Kyoko held her in a post deathmatch interview.

Oh yeah, I saw that not too long ago watching one of the memorial shows.

It always makes me kinda question why UFC fighters bring their (in many cases) very small children who are unable to process real violence to their fights. Yes, every now and then you a get a Hana Kimura type situation like with Frank Mir and his daughter Bella where now she's a MMA fighter at like 15 or 16 years old. However, even with simulated violence, I am not sure that's entirely suitable for kids to witness unless the parent is there with the child. If the parent is a participant and the kid is kinda left there to figure out what the hell is happening, then I don't know how they're suppose to wrap their head around that even if you go with the standard "mommy/daddy is alright...it's just a scratch".

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Did Tony Khan lie about the paid attendance for All In or what exactly is going on with that?  Did 8,000 people not show up?  Was it secondary market tickets that were never resold? 

We talked about it in the Ratings thread, apparently 8,000 people not showing up is par for the course and totally fine

(edited for my bad math)

Edited by Godfrey

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This. Crazy Monkey's daughter is gonna be the next Megumi Kudo, just watch. 

I feel like Risa Sera and Rina Yamashita among others have raised the bar to a difficult degree even if Kudo was out here suffering third degree burns for the sake of wrestling. You have women out here finding new and innovative ways of losing blood. Megumi Kudo was in an unique spot in that her home promotion was male dominated while a large majority of her compatriots got to compete in female only (save for "midget" matches for comedy purposes) promotions even if men largely ran them. You had Kudo and Combat Toyota, and it drops off a hill in terms of female talent on the FMW side. Twenty five years later, you can get an absolute supernova in Suzu Suzuki well versed in regular matches and brutal deathmatches, and people go out of their way to make sure she has other top tier talent to go against.

• Like 1

FWIW Jade Cargill is one of the AEW wrestlers I'd most like to see benefit from having to work a few house show loops, so this might not be the worst move for her to make. I'm not a fan of Natalya but if Jade gets stuck with her for a few weeks/a month working a few times a week that's probably the best way to see how much more in-ring progress she can make.

21 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

The ex baseball player?

yeah, when I read that she was with someone who made $70M on his last MLB deal, I wasn't expecting someone who's 10 years older than her (the gap isn't objectionable, just surprising)..

then again, Cole Tucker (fringe Major Leaguer) is in a relationship with Vanessa Hudgens (Vanessa's 7 years older too), so apparently at least some women want to be with pro athletes

Edited by Cobra Commander

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It always makes me kinda question why UFC fighters bring their (in many cases) very small children who are unable to process real violence to their fights. Yes, every now and then you a get a Hana Kimura type situation like with Frank Mir and his daughter Bella where now she's a MMA fighter at like 15 or 16 years old. However, even with simulated violence, I am not sure that's entirely suitable for kids to witness unless the parent is there with the child. If the parent is a participant and the kid is kinda left there to figure out what the hell is happening, then I don't know how they're suppose to wrap their head around that even if you go with the standard "mommy/daddy is alright...it's just a scratch".

I do wonder how much they actually tell those kids. Chad Gable's youngest was clearly legit sad and crying when he lost the IC title match with Gunther recently.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, username said:

FWIW Jade Cargill is one of the AEW wrestlers I'd most like to see benefit from having to work a few house show loops, so this might not be the worst move for her to make. I'm not a fan of Natalya but if Jade gets stuck with her for a few weeks/a month working a few times a week that's probably the best way to see how much more in-ring progress she can make.

I don't dislike Nattie as a worker like alot of people but she's always been good at working with the newer talent getting them ready much like 1-2-3 kid. Remember she had a 15 20 minute match with Rhonda in first part of her run that was said to be most of it called in the ring. If she does go, this would be probably the second biggest loss to WWE next to Cody. She'll get much better in WWE and she'll be better off not going to  NXT and just straight to the main roster. If you want to give her more seasoning let her work dark matches around the horn before putting her on tv

I thought AEW could've gotten more out of her undefeated streak but at the same time I was actually looking forward to her having more competitive matches since her loss.

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 2

No idea what's going on with him right now, but Wardlow is a guy I think can benefit from an NXT run and possibly do better in WWE.

Seems like he's hit his ceiling in AEW. 

AEW still has too many people under contract and more people they can stand to lose because guys are still disappearing from TV for weeks or months on end.

Like what is going on with Rush having Dralistico and Preston Vance kidnapped? There's been literally no follow-up on that segment. 

• Like 1

If major wrestling promotions actually did trades with each other, then Wardlow getting traded to the WWE to fill roles like “guy replacing Braun Strowman in the Braun/Ricochet team”. Although being billed at 6’3” in AEW is perceived as taller than being billed at 6’3” in WWE. He might be hit with a case of Mike Awesomeitis in the WWE.

I don’t really watch NXT but when there’s a guy like Wardlow who has been working for nearly a decade, would putting him in NXT be more about figuring out what he brings before you put him on a bigger show or improving specific things to get him on other shows? I’d think he would seem like a monster compared to some of the NXT roster.

As long as he doesn’t get tethered to the Miz because that might be too familiar of a spot for a few reasons

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

There's no shortage of successful bigoted wrestlers and promoters, so I don't think that's what did Warrior in. Punk is an extremely weird case of being the least successful politician ever. Every time he tried to go into business for himself, it backfired. Probably why he resents HHH so much.

Low Ki stands out as someone with a ton of talent who seemed to piss people off everywhere he went.

Jarrett burned some bridges in WWE and WCW, but he eventually got his own promotion to be a big fish in a small pond.

Flair was pretty lucky that he had a decade of success behind him before hand, because whoa man did he get out-maneuvered horribly once Hogan went down south.

I'd add Austin Aries to the pile being similar to Low-Ki in guy who are like "what ever happened to.." headcases 

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No idea what's going on with him right now, but Wardlow is a guy I think can benefit from an NXT run and possibly do better in WWE.

Seems like he's hit his ceiling in AEW. 

AEW still has too many people under contract and more people they can stand to lose because guys are still disappearing from TV for weeks or months on end.

Like what is going on with Rush having Dralistico and Preston Vance kidnapped? There's been literally no follow-up on that segment. 

Wardlow almost quit the business bc of how bad his experience at the PC was. Maybe time heals all wounds, but I can’t imagine him going to nXt if he has any other option. 

To follow up on something I said elsewhere that relates to bad nXt experiences, reportedly Starks & Daniel Garcia (amongst others) had offers at the start of the pandemic from nXt. They intended to sign, only to be told “never mind.” Starks has been vocal about it in the past. I imagine he’d only leave to go straight to the main roster. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

They were taken to a house where Rush gave them a pep talk, saying LFI was going to dominate, win belts, and be super violent.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, when I read that she was with someone who made $70M on his last MLB deal, I wasn't expecting someone who's 10 years older than her (the gap isn't objectionable, just surprising)..

then again, Cole Tucker (fringe Major Leaguer) is in a relationship with Vanessa Hudgens (Vanessa's 7 years older too), so apparently at least some women want to be with pro athletes

True story: former major league catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia went back to his hometown after he got drafted and asked out the hot gym teacher from his HS. They’re still married today. 

• Thanks 1

The thing about having Jade work the house show loop is do we know that Jade wanted to, or would have? I've always been under the impression that Jade liked the AEW once a week plus PPV schedule so she could be at home with her kid (and bring her kid to PPVs where she was ostensibly a heel, but i digress...). When they did house shows with multiple women's matches and Jade was still champion, did she work any of those?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

She always can say her dad baptized her, and she gave herself over to the Lord. That's always an out!

Now that said, the fact post being saved Tully Blanchard on Arn's podcast said of his 1989 drug test failure in WWF that if he got busted for that little amount of cocaine in his system that he might as well have done a whole bunch tells you where Tessa Blanchard is coming from. It's even made better by the fact Arn's expression doesn't change at all even though this man cost him his job in WWF and helped fuck him over getting back to the NWA. He knows clearly that Tully is Tully and you cannot do shit about it.

I believe the context of Tully’s comment concerned the prevalence of cocaine throughout the locker room and his random drug test being a result of somebody wanting him out. Were they not already on there way out to wcw by that point? The result of the drug test didn’t cost Arn a job so much as a lowball contract from Jim Herd. This is all info gleaned from Arn discussing the smatter on his pod. Tho, maybe I’m misremembering some details. 

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The whole downside to the "you need to job to everyone on the way out" is you don't have enough time usually to set up multiple programs or at the very least logical reasons for that person on the way out to lose to people that are staying. You're lucky to get one job out of someone. To count on multiple clean losses is basically fool's gold unless that person is under contract for a good while. If someone is on the way out and it's reported that it is SOON, usually that means what it says. Moreover, you're not going to get that rub you need. This has been done for decades and rarely does it work out to great effect. Yeah, you beat someone who everyone knows is leaving. Congratulations.

The context and story for weekly aew matches isn’t generally all that elaborate. I don’t see a need for much more than a set of promos from the two competitors. Yeah, jobbing to everyone wouldn’t work, but calculating the time left to get a couple or 3 of the  names already mentioned a big win would seem to me to be beneficial. Especially in the case of defeating such a clearly dominant performer like Jade.

33 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I believe the context of Tully’s comment concerned the prevalence of cocaine throughout the locker room and his random drug test being a result of somebody wanting him out. Were they not already on there way out to wcw by that point? 

AFAIK I don't think so. Plus, it had only been about a year since they left. I think that might have been their backup plan though.

The result of the drug test didn’t cost Arn a job so much as a lowball contract from Jim Herd. This is all info gleaned from Arn discussing the smatter on his pod. Tho, maybe I’m misremembering some details. 

Yeah, that is what I meant in that Herd told Arn that maybe he should try to resign with WWF when Herd refuse to give him the money Arn was asking for. Arn was like, "dumbass, we cannot resign with WWF..." essentially. I think Arn's point was that Herd didn't want to do it cause Tully had just tested positive and it would look bad for the company anyway so he gave him a shit deal figured WCW had the negotiating power/leverage.

calculating the time left to get a couple or 3 of the  names already mentioned a big win would seem to me to be beneficial. Especially in the case of defeating such a clearly dominant performer like Jade.

Usually, it doesn't turn out that way. Sometimes, you would get that but only cause guys went to the office and told them, "yeah, I'm/we're done" and then everyone would go from there. Either that or guys would volunteer to do that (IIRC for example, LoD doing it for the Midnight Express). I would also add that cause Jade was so dominant like you mentioned..eh she probably won't do that. I don't think TK is the guy to force someone to do that. He may choose a couple people but it's going to be people who are already on the clear ascent like Stat. I think she (Jade) would put over Athena cause that's her girl. Other than that, probably not too many folks on that list.

Not that Vince hasn't alway been a shrewd operator, but I do think Vince had enough respect to not mess with them as long as they were willing to do business on the way out. I mean I don't think the plan was to insert Heenan into that Survivor Series match the way the match ended up being constructed.